zachary165
Topic Author

*Lots of Pics* German Study tour part 2: I'll be home for Christmas MUC-DUB

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:49 am

Hello and welcome to the second and final part of my trip to Germany this past winter. I visited with a group from my University for two weeks of sightseeing primarily focused in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. Given that It was Christmastime, there was plenty of markets to visit and plenty of Glühwein to drink. The experience is one that I will never forget Before I get to the flying portion though, I'd like to share some highlights of the trip.
My first Glühwein

Nürnberger Christkindlmarkt

oldest surviving globe map

Dokumentationszentrum Reichsparteitagsgelände - on the former nazi party rally grounds

Das Gleis - 60,000 namecards representing 100 jews each who died in the holocaust.

The place of the Nürnberg trials

Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof

Bamberg Altes Rathaus (Old city hall)

View of Bamberg

Little Venice

Käthe Wolfart store in Rothenburg o. d. t.

View from the top of city hall

Stadtkirche St. Jakob

Plönein

Weihnachtsmarkt Rothenburg

The church across the street from my hotel that woke me up promptly at 7 every morning in Stuttgart

Mercedes-Benz Museum

Well this isn't a car. Still had an engine produced by Karl Benz

daily Glühwein

Hohenzollern Castle

View of Stuttgart from the TV tower

Esslingen am Neckar

[Image
Ulm

Statue of Bach in Ulm Cathedral

one of the 700 steps in the Ulm belltower

The view from the top

Some reading for the train

Icebow in the Black forest

A group of us who hiked all the way to the top of Feldberg. (I'm in the red and black flight team jacket)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Dk1TjF]Image

One of many mosaics in the sidewalk in Freiburg. This, along with the [i]Bächle[/] are some of the quirks of this city.

I wonder if I'm related to them

Decided to go to Switzerland on a free day...

...and France

Here is where the journey home begins. after 15 days, This epic Journey had to come to an end. It was time to head home, which was journey all itself...

Before I even set foot on the airplane, I had to get to Munich. Freiburg is on the opposite side of Germany from Munich. Given that this was a holiday weekend, the ICE tickets were around 200 euros pre person and we were travelling with 6 people. So instead we took the much cheaper, but slower regional trains. I had to wake up to catch a 5:15 train to the German side of Basel for train #1. As soon as I sat down, I fells asleep and didn't wake up until Basel, where we got on train #2 towards Ulm. This train was about 4 hours long and I kept going in and out of being awake. It was an older train that wasn't powered by electricity as I was used to.

We got to Ulm and boarded train #3 that was supposed to take all the way to Munich, but for some reason, was stopping in Augsburg and all the Munich passengers would have to board a different train to Munich. Eventually, our weary and haggard bunch made it to Munich, where it was just a short S-bahn ride to the airport. Since some of our group were leaving on an earlier Lufthansa flight directly to the United States, there were 3 of us who had to sit and wait for about 10 hours in the airport. After having a lunch of Leberkäse and Potato salad, I still had 9 hours to go.

We found a spot to sit down and just relaxed for a bit. However, I was a man on a mission. There was still one final Christmas market to explore: the one right in the middle of the Munich airport. So with my friend watching our stuff, I set out for one final Glühwein.

Obviously a beer fit for me

one final Glühwein

With that adventure over, it was now only 5 hours until we departed. Time to relax

Check in finally opened and I got my bags checked for my flight to Dublin. .1 kg under the limit.

passport stamped. Officially on my way home.

I passed security and waited in the boarding area for the flight to arrive. Our flight arrived on time and I was soon on my way out of Germany for the second time.

Flight details:
EIN357
Dec. 23, 2017
2 hours, 19 minutes
Airbus A320
EI-FNJ
Aircraft age 10.4 years
Seat 17A

Flight route courtesy of foreflight and my iPhone GPS receiver

I walked down the jetway and we all found out just how low the load factor was. Practically everybody had a whole row to themselves with room to spare.

Boarding competed and we went away well ahead of schedule.

I spy an A350

After a short taxi, we were on our way to Dublin... 15 hours and counting after I woke up.

turning on course

Since I was feeling hungry and had a few euros to spend, I purchased a ham and cheese sandwich. While this sandwich did cure my hunger, I don't think the cold "hot ham and cheese"was worth the full 5 euros.

I finished my sandwich and dozed off and on for the rest of the flight. I woke up right as we were about to cross the English Channel...

...and again over Liverpool just before initial descent.

We descended into and landed on runway 28 in Dublin and had a decent taxi back to the terminal.

Naturally, being someone interested in aviation, I went up after the flight and had a nice chat with the crew and got a tour of the cockpit.

After disembarking and getting my passport stamped, it was time to get my bags and catch the bus to my hotel for the night. Hilton Dublin Airport.

Once at the Hotel, I was told that I had been upgraded to a King size room, which was the icing on the cake in this saga and i had the best night's sleep in about 2 weeks on that bed.

(Hilton Photo)

Thanks for reading part 2 of my Germany saga. Sorry if I had too many pictures at the beginning bu it was hard to put only highlights when the entire trip as the highlight of my winter break. Stay tuned for part 3, the finale
"Keep true to the dreams of thy youth." - Schiller

theaviator380

Re: *Lots of Pics* German Study tour part 2: I'll be home for Christmas MUC-DUB

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 am

Nice TR with fantastic pictures ! what app is that on your phone?

Thanks.

Kodizes

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks for reporting! Nice to see some pictures of my hometown

kann123air

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 am

Nice report, buddy. Great shots from the Black Forest.
Going for great