Cessna172RG
Topic Author

A Question About Interflug, The Old GDR Airline

Fri Nov 03, 2000 6:26 pm

Got a quick question that maybe someone can answer...

Has anyone ever flown on Interflug before? If so, how was it? I'm curious, because in my German History class we're learning about East Germany and I'm fascinated with the way of life that they experienced there. I'm also curious to see if the East Germans could've afforded to travel at all on an airline. Then again, it was state-run, so it must've been cheap just like the 25 DM per month rent. Anyway, if you can answer the question, that would be wonderful.

Save the whales...for dinner!!!

airsicknessbag

RE: A Question About Interflug, The Old GDR Airline

Fri Nov 03, 2000 7:14 pm

I don´t really have an idea, but I know they had low fares to lure Westerners away from Tegel TXL and Tempelhof THF to Schoenefeld SXF. But these might have been special fares not available to GDR citizens.
After the wall came down IF cooperated with Condor, operating flights for them from SXF to Palma de Mallorca. But of course,they ceased to exist soon afterwards.
I was in East Berlin once before the Wall came down, it was a very, umm, "special" experience. Scary and comfortable at the same time (you know, being EXTREMELY rich compared to them, it gave you a kind of "Massa" feeling)...
Daniel 

airsicknessbag

Fri Nov 03, 2000 7:47 pm

By the way, I guess if you posted this at the general forum, you´d get more responses.
Daniel 

jrebel

Sat Nov 04, 2000 5:13 am

To the best of my recollection I've flown on Interflug once. This must have been in 1969 or 1970, from Warsaw to Berlin Schoenefeld. The aircraft was an Ilyushin 18. We (my dad and I) flew first class, which was located at the very back of the cabin. Apparently the front of the cabin was much noisier. I'm afraid I can not recall much else about the flight.

Regards,

johan rebel