Air France Experiences: Please Share!

Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:41 am

I would like you to share with all of us your experisnce with Air France, in first, business, coach.

thanks
JoNaThAn

varig md-11

RE: Air France Experiences: Please Share!

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:55 pm

Hi
Years ago I flew AF from ORY-FDF in a 747-200 "sud" (the one which looks like a 300,inherited from dead UTA),tempo class.
Well, it was the 1st flight with national carrier and I' m sad to say it was not that good...
The interior of old 747-200 is kind of yellowish and cheap and out of date -I had flown SQ a while before:what a shock!-
meal was ok though being the traditionnal chicken curry- rice they always serve on west indies flights (and I don't know if it changed by now),on the other hand,the snack was awfull (badly defrosted quiche) and rush-served while we were already in sight of Martinique island:people hadn't finished and the crew was yet collecting the trays....
crew was friendly but something kind of surprised me:during the 8 hours flight,nobody came to serve drink:you had to go to the galley and they would give you whatever you wanted...I was told it was an open bar policy
aside from that,captain gave lots of details about the flight and it was great;flight went smoothly
on return flight,old 747-200 had a tech problem and couldn't make it: AF rushed a Corsair ex-SQ 747-300 from ORY to FDF!!! this way instead of being stuck on the island we had "only" a 6 hour delay,and AF ground crew at FDF was the most friendly
return flight was with corsair crew so no interest here
all in all AF flight was "average plus" the plus is due to kindness of AF crew
voila!
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

Thu Dec 14, 2000 9:49 pm

It is quite normal you had a flight bad like that : I have also experienced those aircrafts to west indies, but in Economy plus "Alize " upper deck. Those aircraft will soon go. On west indies routes, they will be replaced by the 747-400 of the present fleet, and I think also the 777-300.
I am sure that your final judgement, if you had flown with air france on a 777, would have been very good plus.
Thanks.

AF Cabin Crew

Fri Dec 15, 2000 5:59 am

Also one thing you must understand, on a normal 747-200 Classique flight to... lets say Miami, we put 13 cabin crew, less than the average airline, on a 747-200 Conjugue to our Reunion and West Indies flight, we put even less people, 11 crew members to attend to more people than in a "Classique" aircraft.
It is hard work on us to attend to much more people and their needs, hence a shorter service and a less personal one.
No excuse but it is hard on us and we can't leave our stations too long in case anything happens.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Alain Mengus

Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

varig md-11

Fri Dec 15, 2000 8:44 am

hi
l'espace180
yes I've heard many times a "normal" AF flight has nothing to do with what I described...unfortunately,I never flew AF on non-west indies flight but I hope -and believe!- (non j'suis pas chauvin) that it is a greater experience than the one I had.

AF Cabin Crew
I would never criticize the crew! (je travaille à CDG moi aussi,je sais ce que c'est!) but it's just I was surprised by the level of service:I expected something else from AF...the explanations you gave help to see clearer though
it's high time they replaced these old 747-200 with 400 or better:773!
aplus
ps:c'est quoi exactement un vol conjugué? merci
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

D10RK

Fri Dec 15, 2000 10:04 am

some cabin views!!!

Click for large version

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

Click for large version

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

Click for large version

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

Click for large version

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

Click for large version

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

AF Cabin Crew

Fri Dec 15, 2000 4:41 pm

Bonjour all !

A Conjugue configuration is employed on all aircraft flying to the Indian Ocean and Carribean flights. Rather than having the usual First, Business and Economy Classes, They operate with Business, Full Fare Economy and Economy classes.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.

Click for large version

Photo © Alain Mengus

varig md-11

Fri Dec 15, 2000 7:27 pm

hi
thanks for the answer AF Cabin Crew
D10RK:the photos show the new AF interiors...I experienced only the old ones  

englandair

Sat Dec 16, 2000 5:51 am

Varig md-11: I'm going off topic abit, but last time I flew with Virgin Atlantic they too had an 'open bar pollicy' although we were served drinks with our meals and the trollies came around a couple of times too.

D10RK

Sat Dec 16, 2000 7:40 am

the first photo was in an oldA300 retirement in 97

744isbest

Sat Dec 16, 2000 7:42 am

I've flown Air France a few times IAH-CDG in business class. Overall, the cabin crew are friendly, attentive but not overly so. My only complaint is the food...I wish they would offer something more "American" as a choice. French/Continental fare is ok, but sometimes you just want plain roast beef, etc. without all the cheese trimmings, etc.!!

American 767

Sat Dec 16, 2000 9:14 am

I've flown Air France quite a few times during the 80's when they still had Boeing 727's (200's only, they never had 100's). I used to fly on their 727's from Brussels to Nice and back, the seats were red in First Class and blue in Coach. Air France is the only non US airline with which I've been on a 727. I remember well Air France's 727's.

J'ai voyagé avec Air France quelques fois dans les années 80 quand ils avaient encore des Boeing 727 (seulement des 200, ils n'ont jamais eu des 100). Je prenais des 727 de cette compagnie pour voyager entre Bruxelles et Nice, les sieges etaient rouges en Premiere Classe et bleus en Classe Economique. En dehors des Etats Unis, Air France est la seule compangnie avec laquelle j'ai déja pris un 727. Je me souviens bien des 727 d'Air France.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Bruxelles Belgique
Ben Soriano

chepos

Sat Dec 16, 2000 6:37 pm

Why does Air France use special configurations on there West Indian flights . And they use the 747-300 on the Paris - St. Martin-Santo Domingo this is in the West Indies and is isnt served on a 200
Fly the Flag!!!!

AF Cabin Crew

Sat Dec 16, 2000 7:36 pm

Bonjour All !

744isbest, we are Air France and we use a policy that is here to show of the culinary specialties of France. We have many regions that are proud of their food and not all of them are nouvelle-cuisine or full of trimmings. A potee savoyarde is only cabbage, carrots, and different kind of meats, we served a range of dishes changing once every two months when hosting a new region. It would be an insult to our french customers to serve other food than french. Most of our foreign customers also look for the french flavour on our trays and do prefer to get a bit of France in their plates.
Finally, we were proven right when in 1999 Air France was awarded, in London, the "best menu for transatlantic flights in Business Class" prize. The menu hosted was created around the Champagne region and was chosen with flying colours in front of Delta who came 2nd and Virgin, who came third.

Chepos, Air France uses those aircrafts on the carribean and Indian Ocean routes because they have a high density configuration. It is a very highly demanded network and we have to provide with the demand. The 747-300 are also equipped with the same high density configuration and operate to SDQ and SXM as you said but also to FDF and PTP.
Tickets on those flights are not too expensive hence the high demand.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.

Click for large version

Photo © Alain Mengus

Tue Dec 19, 2000 7:18 am

YYZ-CDG-OTP is my most travelled route. It used to be done with a 767 on the trans-atlantic section, and a 737 on the Paris - Bucharest leg. Starting around 1996 (although I am not positive) they now use a A340-300 on the trans-atlantic route, and a A320-200 on the CDG-OTP route.

The FAs are very friendly, and the overall service is great. The food is very good. In my 8 years of travelling that route, my stomach was affected only once, and it wasn't even from the AF food, but from something I had at the airport at YYZ   .

Bon Voyage,
L'EspaceA340

PresRDC

Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:50 am

See my previous trip report covering an AF flight from JFk to CDG and then from CDG to LHR in L'Espace 180 and L'Espace Europe.

G-KIRAN

Wed Dec 20, 2000 2:37 pm

I flew SIN-CDG-PRG-CDG-BHX-CDG-SIN in 1999.Its a very good airline and the food was very good witht he exception of the CDG-SIN leg which was disgusting.Some of the BAe146s on the CDG-BHX-CDG have leather seats as well.Inflight entertainemnt is also very good and the seats on the 777 are excellent.

744isbest

Fri Dec 22, 2000 6:58 am

AF Cabin Crew-thanks for the explanation...as I said in my post, I enjoy your flights, food is just a personal preference, that's all!

Sun Dec 24, 2000 8:48 am

G-KIRAN, the new seats are really exellent ? could you tell me more ?

G-KIRAN

Sun Dec 24, 2000 2:05 pm

Hello,

could you please tell us a little more about the 777 seats ?
A lot of legroom, ............

Thanks and merry X-mas
B737-700

OO-AOG

Tue Dec 26, 2000 1:18 am

Air France is the best airline and always my first choice.
The food is excellent, friendly crews and nice network.
The only thing not so good is their skyteam alliance which is quite limited.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:33 am

Anyone else for sharing their experiences ?  

lima

Fri Dec 29, 2000 12:30 pm

Hello

Let me tell you that Air France provides a very good service overall as it keeps on small details to aim for a high quality product. I flew twice Tempo on a short leg of an international flight (Buenos Aires-Santiago). Always ontime departures, very friendly crews, food and entertainment. Very recommended.

The good thing about AF is that is not just taking a plane, it was a flying experience and especially as you get a bit of France onboard (i.e.glamour, flair).

Sat Dec 30, 2000 2:24 am

Hey, I just realized tha I forgot to share MY experiences with AF !
I fly a lot with AF , I have flown in business (l'espace 127), economy (Tempo) and economy plus (available only on tropical-high density routes- Alize)

Very friendly crew. quite Comfortable seats, althought we have to wait until 2003 for changes... The food is , of course,award-winning. The Salon L'Espace are nice.

Unfortunatly, I have not flown, for the moment on the new Tempo. But the old one is also comfortable, good food, friendly crew.

Alize is a good low-fare economy plus, with good legroom, friendly crew, good food... althougth Air France schould install the PTVs on Alize class, I don't think it will be so exspensive.

Sun Dec 31, 2000 1:09 am

Please continut to share !  

Sun Dec 31, 2000 7:29 pm

Check out my trip report in the forum "Stuttgart - Paris CDG - Buenos AIres EZE"

B737-700

Sat Jan 06, 2001 10:44 am

More sharing PlEaSe !