Sarajevo-Budapest, Air Bosna, Yak 42

Sat Dec 23, 2000 7:30 am

I had to fly from Sofia to Sarajevo in November. As there is no direct link, I had to change in Budapest. All four flights were code-shared between Balkan, Malev and Air Bosna.

Luckily, on 24 Nov, from Sarajevo to Budapest I flew in an Air Bosna Yak-42 (T9-ABF). For some funny reason they gave me a Business Class boarding pass. One has to walk to the airplane in Sarajevo Airport. Economy class pax. board through the stairway that falls down from between the engines of the plane, just like in Yak-40 and B-727. Business class people use an airport stairway.

There was no difference in the seats of both classes, they were all black leather, pretty worn-out, and no curtain between the two classes. The service was good, the food was fine and too much for a breakfast at 7 am on a 1-hour flight.

On taking off from Sarajevo one may see a Belair Il-76 that have had an accident during the war while landing on an UN-operated flight. It is still staying there partly broken down.

Also the Yak-42 has a weird way of taxing, with the engines picking up a lot of thrust and then calming down again, so the plane is going faster-slower-faster...

Visit Sarajevo, one of the most extraordinary European cities with restored beautiful christian-oriental architecture and scars of the war.