Trip Report:

Wed Jan 17, 2001 3:44 pm

December 29, 2000
AC 898
Scheduled - D: 07:05pm A: 12:00am
Actual – D: 07:25pm A: 12:20pm
Mileage: 5069
Duration: 9hr 55min
C-FMWQ(fin #632)
Boeing 767-333ER(Manufactured: 1995)

The traffic to Kimpo International was very bad this afternoon, which is quite normal for the holiday weekend. I arrived at the airport a little later than I had originally planned, but found it to be enough time to take care of everything. The terminal was very crowded and busy this afternoon. It’s really too bad that Air Canada has to be located in Terminal 2 along with SQ. It would make sense to have AC and SQ in Terminal 1, so that they would be together with Star Alliance Partner United.

The AC ticket counters where situated between 2 Korean Air counters. I noticed about 3 Hospitality Class check in counters, which were busy at the time I arrived and the Executive First/Star Gold counter was empty, so I proceeded and received my boarding passes for AC 898 and AC 1144. I was also given an invitation to access KE’s Morning Calm Lounge on the 3rd floor.

I took a look at the departure screens at SEL and found that they don’t have enough room to list more than one list that can fit onto one screen. I thought they really need to update that and they should add more screens around the terminal as well. My flight was never listed on there, but KE 071 was listed with a departure of 18:20 to Vancouver, which confused many of those who were flying KE 5071(AC 898). I still don’t know why KE code shares with AC anyway. They have their own flight to YVR, so code sharing isn’t necessary.

I thought it would be a good idea to enter the gate areas early, as the line up were probably going to be long to clear immigration as well as security. The agents at SEL are the SLOWEST working people I have ever seen in any airport. It took about 25 minutes to make my way out of there and that’s when I decided that it would be better to head to the gate instead of visiting KE’s Morning Calm Lounge.

AC 898 was assigned gate 15, which was probably the worst gate to be assigned, as it required having to take the shuttle to get to your plane. In the side windows near the duty free area I saw our aircraft in the distance, which was parked far from the terminal and they had started loading the luggage already. The 767-333ER looked small compared to the amount of KE 747-400's and SQ A340-300. There were several flights that were departing out of gate 15 before us. The first flight was a KE flight to KIX(Osaka) scheduled to depart at 6:30pm, followed by that was another KE flight to Mumbai scheduled to depart at 7:00pm and then our AC flight scheduled to depart at 7:05pm. I had a feeling that we were not going to board on time, seeing as how slowly the flights before us were boarding. I would later find out that I was right.

As the boarding time had gone and passed by, we were still at the gate area waiting for all passengers to Mumbai to board their bus to the plane and we also had to wait our bus, which was not present at the time we needed it. The gate agent phoned several times to inquire about the status of our bus and was told that it was on its way. As soon as it arrived, I boarded first, being the only one in the Executive First/AP E, AP SE/Star Gold line, while 99% of the other passengers were in the hospitality line. The bus ride took about 5 minutes to get out to our plane. We were rushed to board and to get seated, so that we could be on our way. The entire J class cabin had a total of 5 passengers up front, which meant I had the entire second row to my self. I decided to stay in seat 2A, so that I could use the seat next to me to place stuff on.

Shortly after take-off, we were given amenities kits along with additional items. The amenity kits featured the following:
(In the black pouch)
-shaver+shaving cream
-ear plugs
-lip balm
-nail filer
-blind fold
(separate items)
-an additional blind fold
-an additional set of ear plugs
-pair of socks

within a few minutes of receiving our amenity kits, there were a few announcements concerning our flying time along with information on the service offered. Our flying time was announced to be about 10hrs and 5mins. Our routing would take us south of Seoul, east towards eastern Korea, across Japan, North towards the Aleutian Islands and finally into Vancouver. The Flight was going to be 35,000ft, which changed throughout the flight. I noticed at times when it was 33,000 and up to 38,000ft.

We were served drinks and the FA’s also came around and passed out the menu’s and wine list. The meal choices were taken 30 minutes after our drinks were served and the meal service was to begin within 20 minutes.

The menu’s are as follows:

Gravlax Roll with Julienne of Vegetables, Smoked Marlin Sushi, Cucumber Ikura Sushi

Seasonal Greens with Vinaigrette

Go Gi Bok Kum – Sliced Sirloin of Beef, Bulgogi Sauce, Red and Green Pepper Julienne, Steamed Rice, Sauteed Oyster Mushrooms and Braised Cabbage

Broiled Kingfish, Hot Pepper Sauce Korean Style, Steamed Rice, Bok Choy, Sautéed Bamboo Shoots, Carrots and Celery

Grilled Cornish Game Hen, Spicy Oriental Sauce, Egg Noodles with Black Mushrooms and Pepper Julienne, Buttered Green Asparagus, Ratatouille

Selection of Cheese and Fruit

Irish Coffee Cake

Ice Cream Trio with Raspberry Coulis

Hot Refreshment:

Hot Ramen is available any time during the flight



Fresh Fruit Appetizer

Stir-Fried Beef Tenderloin, Hoisin Sauce, Bamboo Shoots, Black Mushrooms, Red Peppers and Bok Choy, Egg Fried Rice

Omelet with Vegetables, Grilled Veal Sausage, Cherry Tomato, Provencale Mushrooms

Quiche, Buttered Spinach, Diced Potatoes, Sautéed Tomatoes

Breakfast Pastries

Premium “Second Cup” Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Ginger, Ginseng, Herbal and Green Tea

A selection of wines were also offered. If anyone’s interested in the list, then I’ll post it.

The in-flight entertainment features consisted of a selection of movies on the PTV monitors. Some of the movies included: The adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Perfect Storm, Nutty Professor II, X-Men and many others. I watched about 2 movies and also viewed the air show on the TV monitor. Those in Hospitality Class(Y, Cattle Class, etc..) were shown the following: Daily News, X-Men, Shanghai Noon, Urban Electic>Frasier>Indians of North America>Mr. Bean, Keeping The Faith, ACTV>The Real Story of the three kittens>Le P’Tit Varius>Exploits & Challenges. I pleased with what was offered on this flight.

The flight attendants came around and offered an assorted selection of juices to those awake and they must’ve came around ever 30 minutes. They offered the following beverages: Orange Juice, Grapefruit Juice and Apple Juice. Other choices were available at requests. We were also served mixed nuts, which had 80% cashews, which were cold. I remember being served warm nuts on DL’s Business Elite International service,which was a nice touch. I have no complaints on the service offered, which was very good.

Within two hours of reaching our destinations, we were woken up by the lights being turned on and came around the FA’s to hand out hot towels. We were served a meal as well and once collected I received an envelope, which had the arrivals and customs documents. I was given an invitation to the Air Canada Arrivals Lounge, but was unable to use it. I was hoping to have myself some breakfast at the lounge and to take advantage of the business centre, but later found out that I would spent all of my time in line trying to clear customs.

We arrived about 20 minutes late, but got to an empty gate without having to wait. I ended up being the first off the plane and rushed over to customs only to find out the horribly long lines. There was one line designated for “Canadian Residents”, which was as long as the other lines “Visitors”. It seems like flights on Cathay Pacific, Air China and Korean Air beat us to customs. I took me an hour to get through customs, which was a good thing that about 10 or so people in front of me needing translator services. I made it through customs without any problems and proceed to the luggage carousels.

The luggage carousels were all backed up from what it seems. Our flight was shared with a flight from Shanghai on the very last carousel in sight. I found my bag within five minutes and then rushed over to have my bad on the conveyer belt for connecting domestic flights. I had a feeling that my bag was going to get delayed as I had about 10 minutes till my flight was scheduled to depart.

December 29, 2000
AC 1144
Scheduled - D: 01:30pm A: 08:50pm
Actual – D: 01:45pm A: 09:10pm
Mileage: 2076
Duration: 4hr 20min
C-FMWQ(fin #632)
Boeing 767-333ER(Manufactured: 1995)

I arrived at the gate area just as the gate agent was announcing “last call for flight 1144 to Toronto”and I rushed to board the flight. I made my way being two others who had just came from KE 071 from SEL, which supposedly arrived in YVR 20-30 minutes before our flight and they were just making their way to board. The J class cabin was about 75% full, but the Y class cabin was 100%. I was originally seated next to someone on this flight, but that later changed once the doors were shut and a few moved around, so that they could have a window seat to themselves. I had 2 seats to myself again, but I wasn’t complaining. Our aircraft was the exact same plane I had just arrived on. This aircraft definitely was a workhorse, which had flown YVR-SEL, SEL-YVR and YVR-YYZ.

The FA came around and offered newspapers and I gladly to asked for a copy of The National Post, which was one of the only newspapers besides the Toronto Star(was not offered on this flight) that I’m interested in reading. Our headsets were also passed out after receiving newspaper and they started to start the safety video. Our flight was pushed back about 15 minutes behind schedule.

After take off we were flown over the Georgia Straight and then we were heading East. Our flight level was going to be 34,000ft as we made our way to Toronto. The weather was announced and said to be VERY cold at –14C, which was going to be followed up by an updated forecast as we got closer to our destination. The flying time was said to be 4 hours and 20 minutes from gate to gate.

We were served our selection of drinks and a hot meal service was to follow shortly after drinks. The meal selection was a choice of Chicken, Beef or Salmon. I went with chicken and found to be fine. The FA soon came around and offered more drinks to go with the meal. We were served dessert after the meal, which was a tasty cake and that finished off our meal service.

The in-flight entertainment did NOT change from my previous flight. I tuned into the airshow and watched one movie that I didn’t watch yet, which I later decided that the movie was not worth it. I dozed off for about half the flight and when I woke up we were somewhere over the plains, all that I could see was white stuff on the ground ,but it was flat, so it had to be the plains, which I looked on the airshow to confirm this.

Our approach into Toronto took us north of the airport and we made our way into the area. It was snowing as we descended into the area, which wasn’t surprising, but it had stopped as soon as we made our final approach into the area. We were told to wait for the aircraft in our gate to depart, so that we could get off the plane. Our wait was about 10 minutes and as we made our way to the gate I noticed a familiar aircraft parked next to us, which was the heavily delayed CP 767-375ER that I had taken on the 16th “C-FCAF”.

I made my way off the plane and walked with the rest of the people on my flight to baggage claim. The baggage claim area was horribly slow. A CP flight, which was currently occupying our assigned baggage claim carousel was very slow at clearing the luggage. I could tell that most of the passengers had originated in SYD and connected in YVR, which could be seen on most of the bags. It took 40 minutes for anything from AC 1144 to come out. The over sized bags came out first and then came out priority bags and my bag didn’t come out with the rest of the priority bags, which I knew at that time that my bag was delayed in YVR. I waited till the rest of the bags cleared out and then went over to the desk for luggage and reported that my bag had not arrived. The agent that I dealt with had informed me that my bag was delayed and mentioned that there were several flights that were expected to arrive tonight, so I should be receiving it tonight or the next morning. I received my bag early the next morning and I took a look at the flights that it had been on by the markings they made to the tags on my bag and it seems like my bag had been flown to MEX and put on a flight from MEX-YYZ. I don’t know why? I was just glad that I got it when I did.

Thanks for reading my trip report.
Posts: 4994
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 1999 11:18 pm

RE: Trip Report:

Thu Jan 18, 2001 8:19 am

Nice report!  

Kind Regards,
Jeremiah Teahan
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

RE: Trip Report:

Thu Jan 18, 2001 9:00 am

Great Report !

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tcaeyx and 21 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos