bpat777

CO EWR-IAH On 762..01/13/01

Thu Jan 18, 2001 9:28 am

On Saturday Jan. 13th, 01 I had the pleasure of flying CO's new 762. Here's the report:

CO Flt# 63
767-200 aircraft #152::: We left EWR from gate C75. I could tell it was a new aircraft from the smell (or should I say lack of smell). The interior is the same as the 777 with the new overhead bins and ptv's. I sat in 27A right behind the wing and when the flaps were lowered they too were spotless. We left the gate 3 minutes late but taxied out very quickly. After a CO 738 and 73G we were airborne at 5:13pm...The take off roll was very impressive (powerful)... We passed over the NJ turnpike, IKEA, then back over the NJ turnpike. According to the airshow we passed by Philly, NE of BWI & IAD, the App. Mts and pretty much directly into IAH. We were served cheeseburgers, doritos, a very sweet tangerine, and three rounds of beverages... The pilot told us the Houston area was cloudy so the landing was not great b/c we were in clouds from about 15,000 ft to 150 ft...I was getting worried watching the altitude drop like a brick and not seeing any lights...Flaps and gear were down and no lights....Finally when we broke through the clouds we were just about over IAH and 10 seconds from touchdown...The touchdown was soft and there wasn't much thrust reverse used...We parked at D5 about 8 minutes early at 7:40pm....To finally wrap Continental is a great airline w/ a great product...Good planes, friendly F/A's, tasty food, and clean terminals.....I would give CO a 9/10.....I'll post the return trip in a few days...It was on a DC-10-30...