Kubla
Topic Author

BHM-PIT-CMH-CLT-BHM On US

Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:40 am

From last November

19 November 2000
BMH-PIT
US Airways Express 4048 (Operated by PSA)
Do-328

We usually use ATL as a home airport because it's a bit closer and much easier to get to, but this deal was a good one - $160 round trip and no Saturday stay. So, it's off to Birmingham, where the parking is much closer and cheaper anyway. We were supposed to leave at 4:55pm, but the plane is late arriving from PIT - due to headwinds, the gate agent informs us. Most of the other US Airways Express flights are also delayed - the CRJ to PHL leaves about 5:15 and the 5:15 ERJ to DCA is still sitting there when our flight leaves at about 5:35. There are only six people, and we have the last row before the lav. For some reason, the seats on this Dornier 328 seem wider than I am used to. A snack of a small sandwich, chips and candy is served. My wife has never ridden in a turboprop aircraft before and is surprised at how quiet this one is. The ride is smooth all the way up to PIT and the only worry is about our conenction in PIT. We do make up some time and block in at about 8:10, only 10 minutes late. A quick walk through the E concourse and a people mover ride to the main airside terminal and we discover we didn't need to hurry. The CMH flight is delayed for lack of a flight deck crew.

19 November 2000
PIT-CMH
US Airways 1572
DC-9-30

Our new estimated departure is around 9:30, so I wander over to Arby's to get us a snack. This encounter turns out to be the most memorable part of the entire evening of flying. The Arby's is staffed by the world's slowest clerk ever. It takes him literally ten minutes to get three sandwiches and three orders of fries for the family in front of me. There was a guy in between me and this family, but he gives up in disgust after about five minutes and leaves. When the clerk finally turns what passes for his attention on me, I have to repeat my order twice, and then after taking about ten minutes to make two sandwiches, he forgets our fries. They are sitting on the thing in front of the deep fryer, but he doesn't seem to see them until I point them out. The guy doesn't appear to be dumb or anything, but it is obvious that he doesn't care.

After a 20 minute trip to get two Arby's sandwiches, I return to the gate and we eat while everyone else calls people on their cell phones to tell whoever that they will be late. We realize this is a good idea, and call our friends who will be picking us up.

At 9:30, we board and have an uneventful short hop to Columbus. A straight in landing on 28L and we are there.

20 November 2000
CMH-CLT
US Airways 1869
F-100

A first for me - I've never been in an F-100 before. It's no better than an F-28. These seats are definitely narrower than the ones on the Do-328 or the DC-9. It's a fairly heavy load to Charlotte but we board without incident and push back on time at 7:06pm. The usual beverage service and we pass the time chatting with each other and doing crosswords. We land on time - a rarity for this flight, I later find out - and go across the hallway to await our flight to Birmingham. After sitting for no more than 10 minutes, the next flight boards.

20 November 2000
CLT-BHM
US Airways 891
F-100

Another damn F-100. Oh well, this flight is short. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Charlotte, my wife says. Yeah, all 15 minutes of it  Smile

Another very uneventful flight, dark so we can't see much out the windows. We amuse ourselves trying to guess the names of towns we pass over, knowing we are just pulling these guesses out of you know where. Soon, we approach BHM and make a smooth, on time arrival. The thing I like about BHM is that they have the old-style huge neon "BIRMINGHAM" on the side of the terminal. I like that, don't ask me why.

ILUV767

RE: BHM-PIT-CMH-CLT-BHM On US

Fri Feb 09, 2001 12:39 pm

great report!

ana767

Fri Feb 09, 2001 1:17 pm

Thanks for the report! I'm originally from Birmingham, so I am quite familiar with the Municipal Airport. I like the neon sign too. It kind of says "Welcome to the Birmingham. Welcome to the 70's." Just kidding.

On my frequent trips to Chicago I was tempted connected in PIT just to try the Do328. I figured it would be more spacious than the F100 to CLT, but what isn't.

KLM747

Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:10 am

Nice report Kubla. Looks like you had a nice trip too.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

KLM747 Big grin

Kubla
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:59 pm

Thanks KLM747!

ANA767, a VW Beetle feels more spacious inside than an F-100. I was disappointed when I saw that the Do-328s had been replaced by ERJs on the BHM-PIT route. Maybe I am just getting swept up in the retro craze, but I miss my days of flying in turboprops. I used to live in upstate NY, and the good old Saab rides to LGA were pretty neat. Helps when you are low over pretty scenery  Smile