azjubilee

MSP-HNL On NW

Mon Mar 19, 2001 6:24 am

Done with indoctrination training at Mesaba and have a 3 week break before leaving to England for 5 weeks for aircraft and systems training. I came to Hawaii to relax and get a jump start studying the Avro.

NW921 MSP-HNL nonstop 747-200 ship #6635 1140am-417pm. Arrived at MSP at 1000 for the flight and quickly checked in with a really nice agent named Carla. Gate was F12 and I had time to kill so I had breakfast. One thing MSP lacks in enough bathroom space! There are many on the F concourse, but they're small and dimly lit with lines all the time for both men and womens. At least they're relatively clean and I'm sure MAC has something in the plans.

I got a boarding pass at 1130 for seat 26C. This was a newly configured 747 with the new WBC seats. The interior walls were a very inviting light blue, exactly like the new DC10 interiors. This plane was in top shape and was pretty impressed. Took my seat and got ready for the long journey. We pushed 1 min early at 1139am and were off at 1202pm. Flying time was 7 hours and 39 min, which I thought was really fast... must have got a ton of tails winds. Gotta love the NW meteorology dept. Service started with an aerobics video and then drinks... full cans and 2 bags of peanuts. Lunch followed... choices were chicken kiev or pasta with sausage. Both with a salad and a roll. Desert was an almond rocca. The meal presentation was different than that of the west coast HNL flights. This was on plastic trays etc and with real silverware, as opposed to the paper plate service from the a la carte days. Anyone know if this is the new norm now? I had the pasta which was not too bad. After the food there was drink service and the short subject video was playing throughout the meal. With lunch finished, the first move started. Men of Honor, with Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert DeNiro. Great movie! Water walks happend about 3 times during the movie. They gave us about a 10 min stretch/bathroom break and then the second movie started, Unbreakable with Bruce Willis. Not bad either. When the movies were done we had a snack service which was a turkey sandwich and apple, also drinks were served. By this time we had only an hour to go and did the ag forms and watced the Hawaii welcome guide. Did the typical approach into HNL over the city, out over the ocean to descend and then our turn to final way out past Barbers Point. Touched down on 8L and was in gate 13 by 345pm... 32 min early! Got the bags and left by 430pm.

Service was great and the FA's made the flight go by really quick. This was a FULLY loaded 747 and the FA's did a great job. The man infront of me was having breathing issues and was athsmatic and the FA's couldn't have been more understadning and did everything they could to help him out. They came back regulary to check on him.

Yet again... anoth great NW trip! Next trip is the long haul to MAN. HNL-SFO-MSP-LGW-MAN on NW and BA. My first time on BA... I'm kinda excited!

AZJ

scaredflyer21

RE: MSP-HNL On NW

Wed Mar 21, 2001 11:29 am

Great report! I look forward to your next report.