Turbulence

Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:11 pm

I was on my way back from japan, our plane experience major turbulence! People were screaming and shouting! Even some grown men looked extremely tense! Then the plane dropped for about 4 seconds  Wow! ! That was one of the worst experiences in my entire life! Later, a senior flight steward whom my mom knew told us that the plane had actually dropped over a 100 meters!

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

I'm glad i'm alive!

ryanb741

RE: Turbulence

Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:17 pm

Although it was undoubtedly frightening, you weren't actually in any real danger (providing you had your seatbelt fastened). You probably hit an air pocket, that's all. These things happen every day and the a/c are built to withstand it.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Wed Apr 04, 2001 6:52 pm

I know, but you must admit it was quite a scare. I never slept well for the next week!

airnewzealand

Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:27 pm

I also had a very frightning experience on Korean Air, but i am glad we had that Cabin crew.... They cheered up the cabin in no time!! Everybody was happy!!

What airline were you travelling??

Cheers
mikey

Wed Apr 04, 2001 7:50 pm

I was travelling on ANA or All Nippon Airways (japanese)

QantasA3XX

Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:39 pm

Hi , are u singaporean ??
Well i am too !!

Which flight did u took ?
NH111 or NH902 ??

All Nippon used to fly B777 on NH111 now they downgrade using a B763ER

Smile
Well take care , i hate the drop too , it can be scary
I flew on UA B733 Shuttle and the plane was shaking here and there , and there was a drop for 5 seconds !!

Have a good day

gkirk

Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:19 pm

I was once on a Sunways MD83 flight from BHX to Dalaman when we encountered severe turbulence over Germany . Food was sent flying everywhere. Apart from that, all my other turbulence experiences have been weak.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Dazed767

Thu Apr 05, 2001 8:27 pm

I was on an AWA A320 from PHX-LAS last year, and most of the pax were taking a quick nap, until we hit a little air pocket. You felt the quick drop in your stomach, I remember the overhead bins shaking, and people waking up freaking out. I was probably the only one smiling (give me more!).  Smokin cool

Fri Apr 06, 2001 6:40 pm

Yes! I'm singaporean! And proud to be one

ERJ135

Fri Apr 06, 2001 7:35 pm

I had a shocker of a trip once on a Fokker F27 in rural Australia where I lived at the time. There was this enormous thunder storm and the plane was shaking violently and lightening flashing outside. Many people were sick and in a small aircraft many became ill from the smell.
The funniest sight was this city businessman who unbuckled his seat belt, opened the overhead bin, put on his coat and took his briefcase to the back door of the plane and asked the FA to be let out because he had enough!
Watch that last step sir, It's a big one!
We landed safely enough and in reality we were never in real danger but boy was that a rough one.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

Sat Apr 07, 2001 10:08 pm

COOL!  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool  Smokin cool

shuttle3echo

Sun Apr 15, 2001 7:11 pm

when you go through turbelence try this
lift your legs up and all that you we feel is your bottom moving around!
sounds silly but it actually works!
Its mainly due to the fact that the forces of motion are moving up your leg from the floor so take this away and there you have it!

HAPPY FLYING

S3E

chepos

Sun Apr 15, 2001 10:23 pm

Like five years ago me and my family were travelling to Orlando and we were flying on board an AA 727-200 . When we started descending into Orlando , Orlando was being hit by a Thunderstorm , the descent was very rough and the plane shook around alot and all of a sudden a lighting according to the pilot hit the wing of the aircraft . I sware the lights went out for a second or so but that was violent . You could see everyone pretty scared . But everything ended up fine.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

sr176

Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:06 pm

Heavy turbulence is still quite a rare event. On my 177 flights all over the globe it never occurred to me.

ryanb741

Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:04 am

I always seem to encounter heavy turbulence over the Bay of Bengal, coming into Burmese (Myanmar) airspace. I don't know why, but it always seems to be that exact spot, EVERY time!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:14 am

Well I just found out today that my teacher experienced this. It was on a Midwest Express flight from LaGuardia to Milwaukee. The plane shook around so much one guys juice went flying up to the ceiling and he was drooping wet with juice. LOL They were really holding on. And Midwest Express being nice like always, they gave the guy a dry cleaners voucher. It wasn't even their fault and they were going the extra step. I appload you YX!

overseasBHX

Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:13 pm

I totally agree with Ryanb741! Last year, on our way back from MEL to LHR, we hit bad turbulence over the Bay of Bengal and later on, same flight, over Tehran and southern shore of the Caspian Sea (actually the worst experience I've had, though I guess possibly a joyride compared to some of the opinions I've read here!).

Then last month, again on our way back from Australia (PER) to LHR, again over the Bay of Bengal, more bumps! Phew! A bit naughty, that Bay of Bengal!

as ever,