777-500er

Milan To Washington D.C. Non-stop UA971

Wed May 02, 2001 11:40 pm

On June 30 2000 I had the pleasure to fly the Boeing 777 for the first time. I flew on a United B777-222B with reg. Code N786UA. The capt.'s name was John Paulson, friendly guy. We left Milan MXP about 10min lates from our scheduled dep. time that was set for 12.15PM. Our aircraft was parked at gate B5 in the international concourse of the italian airport. As soon as I got onboard I realized how full the plane was. A couple of people had to stay off because it was over booked. I was sitting near my mom and my sis. I was on an aisle seat 35E. We had 3 of the 5 middle seats. I think that the worst thing on 777s are the 5 middle seats in coach class because the person in the middle has a hard time to get out. The first thing I noticed of the the 777 were the new interiors. All the seats of course had the little sweet and top quality little tv screens in the back of every single seat in coach, however UAL has them on their int'l fleet of all 777-222s,767-322ER(that I had the pleasure to have in 99' on the MXP-IAD) and is installing them on the 747-422.
As soon as we pushbacked the f/a started explaning the emergency procedures and after a couple of min. the first officer welcomed us onboard and gave us a couple of technical descriptiones on our route, speed, altitude and the weather in the DC area where Dulles Int'l airport is located. As soon as he was finished talking the captain invited all f/a to prepare for takeoff:"Flight attendants prepare for takeoff". As soon as he said that our 777 takied right on to runway 35L and waited for takeoff clearance. About 30s later the 2 PW4000 started roaring and the jet started rolling down the runway. Not after long the captain pulled the nose up and the UAL 777 was airborn under a sunny Milan sky, just a few clouds here and there. We started heading north west, crossing the Alps, fling over Paris, through the English channel, over London, over Dublin and towards Greenland. We never went on top of Greenland. We always stayed south of Gander. After that we flew towards Canada and came in through the Labrador region, passed near Montreal and then started descending towards Dulles in the state of Virginia. The captain turned the seat belt sign on and said we would be landing shortly. Flaps werenow down 40°, 3000 feet. We could see Dulles from the plane. I changed place and went to sit in the crew rest area so I could have at least a window seat. We were approching the airport from the east side then we took a sharp right turn and retracted the landing gear and landed on runway 1R. Once landed we takied to gate C4 located in the international United concourse in Dulles. United thanks us for flying with them. I thank them too. I think UAL is the best. That same day I got a tour af the cockpit by a flight attendant that was very friendly. I thank all UAL for the great flight.
MXP-IAD

Michael SFO
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RE: Milan To Washington D.C. Non-stop UA971

Wed May 02, 2001 11:49 pm

Nice trip report.
What I don't understand is why people keep complaining about 2-5-2.
The folks sitting at the window have the same hard job getting out than the one sitting in the middle of the 5 seats.
Explanation ???

I think 3-3-3 looks better but still.

B737-700

GOT

Thu May 03, 2001 2:19 am

Nice report, well done.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

khi747

Thu May 03, 2001 1:13 pm

Boring report man ...... !! No info on inflights service,food and various things like what planes you saw in Milan and Washington.

aio86

Sat May 05, 2001 10:20 am

Nice report. I flew on this flight June 2000. I remember that we didn't have access to a gate because the two that are shared by all american airlines were being used by TWA and Delta. I know TWA doesn't fly there anymore, so, did your flight get a gate at MXP?

-aio86

777-500er

Thu May 10, 2001 8:58 pm

It was a hella cool flight!

Michael SFO

jrebel

Fri May 11, 2001 1:09 am

"We were approching the airport from the east side then we took a sharp right turn and retracted the landing gear and landed on runway 1R"

Must have been an interesting landing....

TonyBurr

Mon May 14, 2001 11:04 am

Great report. Well. Thanks for your work!

777-500er

Sun May 20, 2001 10:58 pm

Yes, It was a great landing. Dulles is a cool airport.

Michael SFO

Ironminds

Mon May 21, 2001 3:12 am

Dulles a cool airport? Hardly -- having to take those damn trucks all over the place is THE WORST when you're trying to make a flight. And I think you wound up on the only well-run United flight in the last five years!

777-500er

Sun May 27, 2001 8:11 pm

UA always offers superb service on int'l flights over the Atlantic.

Michael SFO

gocaps16

Mon May 28, 2001 5:23 am

Nice report. Lucily you were on a 777-200 but now the Milan-IAD flight is now a 767-300ER.

Yup, that's the normal traffic pattern for RWY 1R at IAD. On downwind, you'll be able to see the whole airport if your sitting on the right side of the plane then the plane make a right turn to base once pass Interstate 66. Just to let you know, IAD doesn't not have an international terminal. They have weird "double windows" which a pathway that will take you to US Customs and immigrations to IAB. I have not yet to fly internationally outta IAD, hopefully I will soon.

Ironminds, if you get to the airport early then you won't have to rush on the "LOUNGES" (reffering to your "so-called" damn-trucks). They run every 5 minutes from the main terminal to Concourse A, B, C, and D. In about 5-10 more years, they will get rid of them and replce them to underground rail transit to each terminal.

Kevin/DCA

La Carlota

Fri Jun 01, 2001 11:39 pm

I'm flying MXP-IAD next Jun. 24, but it will be on a B-767. They changed the type of aircraft for that route I don't know how long ago or why. I guess because it's not easy to get a full cabin on a B-777 for that specific segment.
Anyway, my first (and only so far) UAL B-777 experience was on a IAD-MUC flight, in 1999. It was very good, and really agree that United has a great long-haul service, even in coach class.
Tango Tango Fox