Has Anyone Been On Air Force One?

Fri May 04, 2001 7:47 am

In all of us a.net members someone must have riden on Air Force One. Maybe as a member of the Press, maintenance technician, politician, presidential advisor, or something. If so how was it? How did it differ from a regular airliner 747? Which President was on it?

tsully

RE: Has Anyone Been On Air Force One?

Fri May 04, 2001 3:31 pm

I've never been anywhere close to AF1, but I believe my aunt has flown on it multiple times. She was an astronaut during the Reagan and Bush years; taking her last mission in the early part of Clinton’s first term.
After retiring from NASA, she became an advisor to Clinton. I believe it was during those years working in Washington that she flew on AF1.

Regards,
tsully
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

dash80

Fri May 04, 2001 11:45 pm

I've never flown on an aircraft designated as AF1. However, I have been on AF 26000 (USAF 707-320 variant). Bush Sr., as VP, visited Lubbock, TX and Reese AFB in 1981. I was an AF public relations officer at the time and while Bush was speaking downtown the one of the Secret Service agents manning the aircraft took me on a tour. The layout (as well as I can remember from 20 yrs ago) from nose to tail was flight deck, a communication area just aft of the forward entry door. Galley. A conference area. Private Presidential office/suite at mid-aircraft. Antoher conference area. Seating for SSA. Seating for media/other visitors in rear of aircraft. Galley/lavs. Visible seating was FC quality in forward area suite FC quality, not quite FC quality in rear. Presidential suite had conference room/office and a sitting room/bedroom.

Fri May 04, 2001 11:50 pm

I was invited by my dearest Ronnie to join him on Air Force One. Fairly spick and span inside, not my cup of tea really but quite passable if you are an American.

ngr

Sat May 05, 2001 2:54 am

I've never ridden or been on Air Force One, but I got to see the outside of it with CAP earlier this year. It looked really nice, and I am sure it is.
Hope this helps.
 Smile NGR

airsicknessbag

Sat May 05, 2001 5:06 am

The VIP compartment of Germany´s former Air Force 1 707 was taken out and put up in a museum when the a/c was sold to, to, to, umh, Luxembourg I think.
You can walk through it (I did).

Daniel Smile

I´ve seen the movie "Air Force One", does that count?  Big grin

Sat May 05, 2001 8:53 am

All those posts and not one person has been inside? Why do people feel the need to post when they haven't actually been inside? I think every American has seen the outside of AF1 in some form or another.

jeffrey1970

Sat May 05, 2001 2:06 pm

You can see the Air Force One that flew President Kennedy's body back from Dallas. I believe that is the one that was used till the government finally got the 747 that they use now. You can see it at the Boeing museum near Seattle, Washington.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

GOT

Tue May 08, 2001 2:19 am

I haven't been on the AF1 but I hope to see it in a month when it comes to visit GOT  Laugh out loud.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

BA747-436

Tue May 08, 2001 6:00 am

My cousin has been on it a couple of times when Clinton was president, he is a very highley respected press officer (if there is such a thing!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy )
And he's got a safety card which is specialy made for this aircraft!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I've been trying to get it off him for ages!
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

chdmcmanus

Tue May 08, 2001 9:51 am

Hello All,
I have been on board both AF1 and 26000. Can't say too much about the layout, obviously, but imagine a four-star hotel, the control room of the biggest powerplant on earth, and the worlds biggest entertainment center, blend them all together, and viola-AF1. Clinton was Pres, haven't had a chance to work for Bush yet. And no, there is no escape pod or bailout door like in the movies. Basically the only thing like an airliner are the seat belts!

Regards,
ChD

PS, Rrwx, what's you AFSC or MOS?, I'm a 1A171C
"Never trust a clean Crew Chief"

jeffrey1970

Tue May 08, 2001 12:16 pm

I was wrong. The old Air Force One is in Dayton, Ohio.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff