Ironminds
Topic Author

New Terminal 4 At JFK -- Ugh!

Thu May 10, 2001 6:42 am

OK, I just flew in today to the new terminal 4 at JFK from Istanbul (trip reports on a buncha flights to come tonight or tomorrow), and what a mess! PAX had to be guided through a maze that involved clearing immigration in an old section of the building (and perfunctorily handled by inspectors who's only vocabulary seemed to be "come on!" and "over here!" before ka-chunking there stamps into passports) and then were guided to another baggage area in a whole other new part of the building to collect their luggage. OPf course, only two carousels were working and handling several 747s worth of luggage, and it took an hour to come off with all the stopping and starting (hardhats were actually there restting the system every five minutes). Coming out into the new terminal area (architecturally nice), the place was half finished, with workemen all over the place, nothing working, including cash machines -- I had to walk to the TWA terminal to get cab fare - and incredibly rude people who knew where nothing was and used the excuse "it's our first day" repeatedly. Well, if the place isn't ready yet, DON'T OPEN IT!

As a person who's been to a lot of really crummy countries I have to say that I felt like I had just touched down in soem third world hellhole where they spend a fortune on a snazzy airport with no services or functionality. I hope it improves, as does the attitude of those who work there, damn quick.

n949wp

RE: New Terminal 4 At JFK -- Ugh!

Thu May 10, 2001 10:09 am

Well, that's typical New York!!

'949

chepos

Thu May 10, 2001 11:01 am

I've been to JFK anf flown out of JFK and I can asuure you that yes the airport is a mess and they seem to hire the rudest people in and around the NYC area. The people at JFK should hire better staffs.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

Oliver

Thu May 10, 2001 5:15 pm

I totally agree with you...
JFK is cramped, old and there's nothing to do there...

AerLingus

Thu May 10, 2001 11:22 pm

I agree. I thought LaGuardia and Newark were nicer!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Ironminds
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2001 1:47 am

well, i actually got a decent tour of the place looking for a working cash machine, and it looks like there is more stuff to do...but nothing all that exciting, just kinda middling airport shops and stuff. at least this terminal seems to have windows!

ewr (newarK) is a nicer airport, though bars are poorly spaced.

GOT

Fri May 11, 2001 3:02 am

Ironminds, it could be a bit hard to shut down a whole terminal at JFK during operation, it must be almost impossible.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

foxecho

Fri May 11, 2001 6:18 am

Terminal 4 is probably the worst of all the terminals...take it from someone who works in Terminal 3

Sorry about your experience.

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......

MCMAHONSMR

Mon May 14, 2001 5:33 am

Flew into T4 on 1 May and had to go through the maze as well. We still had to use the old baggage belts but we walked through where the new ones are and where the new check-ins are. I think the terminal will be nice when it is finished but god....it's gonna be hell until its done and I still have a few JFK-DUB-JFK flights to do!!!

B747-437B

Mon May 14, 2001 9:12 am

The new T4 will kick ass when it is open though.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Delta717

Thu May 17, 2001 5:14 am

T4 will definetly kick some major ass when it's all open! And to all you New York disser's out there-New York is a great place once you get to know it!!! LGA is much worse than JFK considering the # of Runway Incursions, Delayed Flights, Runway waiting lines, crowds, and lost luggage. You just happened to fly into T4 at the wrong time! And to Oliver--the only thing cramped and old in JFK is T4E and 4W. T1 (The best one), 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are excellent with a ton of viewing points!

bpat777

Sun May 20, 2001 2:30 am

Give Terminal 4 a chance....At least wait until it is completely done before you rip it apart...I'm sure there won't be too many complaints once it's fully operating in a few weeks...Besides anything will be an improvement over the original....I can't wait for the AA terminal to open....From the looks of the model they have in terminal 8 it will be the best to come to JFK..

Ironminds
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2001 6:07 am

I'm sure it will be fine - but there is no excuse for opening a terminal without basic services operating.

VirginA340

Mon May 21, 2001 11:07 pm

T4 is al ready kicking ass i just got back 5 minutes ago and all the cash machines are working and I can't wait to seethe horrible old termianl go to hell. It's too bad that the main terminal at LGA doesn't suffer the same fate. For all you NY bashers. LGA better than JFk !?! Not by a long shot. LGA is the worst for delays and runway incursions as also NYC mayor Rudy Guliani complained that LGA runways are too short. Have any of you actually flew out of LGA.? Unless if it's the Marine Tereminal everything else is a hell hole!!! EWR is much better. But seroiuylsy LGA better!!! Lay off the bad crack.
"FUIMUS"

bpat777

Tue May 22, 2001 4:00 am

There is an article in todays N.Y. Times 5/21/01 on Terminal 4....They have a few good photos of the interior...