L1011
Topic Author

4 US Airways Flights - Including 2 DC-9s

Mon Jun 25, 2001 12:23 pm

I made this trip on the spur of the moment. I decided to check out US Airways' web page for internet-only specials, and I found out I could fly from Richmond to Detroit and back for $150.00. I priced this itinerary on travel websites and they wanted $899.00 for the same trip. Since I have never been to DTW except to make a connection, I decided to go. Here is my brief report of each flight:

6/23/01 RIC-PIT F-100 N899US

This aircraft had the most comfortable seats of any plane on this trip. We were served a choice of coffee or orange juice, already poured.

6/23/01 PIT-DTW DC-9-30 N928VJ

This aircraft had the tail painted in the new colors, and the words "US Airways" painted in black on a bare metal fuselage. The interior was immaculate. The windows appeared to be new, not a mark or scratch on them anywhere. The seats looked new, although they were not as soft as those on the F-100. We took off to the west at PIT. We started our takeoff roll at the instant the aircraft ahead of us rotated. I thought they required more clearance between planes than that. We were served a choice of soft drinks, already poured. No food of any kind on either flight, even though both of them were over an hour.

6/24/01 DTW-PHL DC-9-30 N918VJ

This was a great flight. The DC-9 was completely in old colors, but had the latest interior, very clean and nice. They brought the cart through on this flight, serving our choice of drinks and a bag of Sky Mix.

6/24/01 PHL-RIC A319 N764US

This was my first flight in an A319. Legroom was very generous. It was almost like on the US Airways Shuttle. We were served pre-poured sodas and no food. The only thing I didn't like about this flight was the smaller windows than on Boeing and Douglas aircraft, and the larger post between the windows. My seat row was not in good alignment with the windows, so I had to either lean back or sit forward to see out.

In closing, I want to say I enjoyed the DC-9 flights the most. They don't look like aircraft about to be disposed of, since they are so well cared for. But on my entire trip, which included 4 different airports including two US Airways hubs, I didn't see a single other US Airways DC-9 aside from the ones I was on.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B