klmfan

1998 An American Odyssey With NWA

Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:41 am

In August 1998 I made a 4 week trip through the USA which became the weirdest trip I made so far.
It all began at Frankfurt (Germany) where my plane from Austria arrived before schedule. I thought: "Great, no hurry to get my connection."
Suddenly the loudspeakers announced that flight NWA052 to SFO via DTW was cancelled due to technical problems. All passengers were requested to go to the counter in the main terminal. ok. I was stuck in a crowd at the security and passport control with no way back to the terminal. I had to move on to the gate where a NW spokesman told me to claim my luggage and go to the counter. At the counter all passengers of that flight were directed to the airport hotel where we had to spend the rest of the day (lunch and dinner included and telephone call included).
In the evening I got my new ticket. I was booked on a flight to Paris CDG and from there to San Francisco (with AF) for the next day. So after a night at the airport hotel provided by NWA I was finally going to SFO. The flight from CDG to SFO was my first flight in a 747 and it became the best flight of my life!
I stayed a few days in SFO and continued to Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids and finally Tampa where I spent the last ten days of my holiday.
My return flight via DTW to Frankfurt was at the beginnig of September - but as some of you might know NW pilots were on strike at that time!
So I was once again rebooked. This time via Charlotte and Memphis (US Airways) to Amsterdam and finally Vienna (KLM).
So far no problem. But on the day of my flight out of TPA Hurricane Earl was moving up the Carolina coastline. The flight to Charlotte was very bumpy and I didn't enjoy it (though I love flying), I even was a little bit afraid.
Memphis airport was deserted, almost spooky. No people in the terminal except the KLM passengers to AMS, all shops and restaurants were closed (you couldn't get something to drink!! awful! ), many deserted NW planes and luggage trolleys at the gates. Only the TV monitors at the gates were showing news on CNN.

Finally I arrived at Vienna exhausted but happy after about 24 hours spent in planes and airports.
I'm definitely going to remember this trip!

P.S.: I don't blame anyone for what happened; it was just conincidence!

BA747-436

RE: 1998 An American Odyssey With NWA

Tue Jun 26, 2001 6:05 pm

"The flight from CDG to SFO was my first flight in a 747 and it became the best flight of my life!"

Why?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

klmfan

RE: 1998 An American Odyssey With NWA

Wed Jun 27, 2001 2:18 am

To BA747-436!

Excellent Foood! Great service! Enough space (especially for the legs)! Impressive looking plane! Very silent inside! No turbulences outside!

I've been flying on a KLM 747 3 years later which was as good as the AF one.
The 747 is my favorite plane! I compare it to an eagle gliding through the sky on silent wings!
I'm looking forward to flying on it again this July!

Thanks for your interest,
Regards