CR-J

AC YWG -> YVR, YVR -> TPE

Sat Jun 30, 2001 5:04 pm

Um, I had just got off from Air Canada flight number 17 from Vancouver and typing this report at Taipei's Chiang Kai Shek Airport Terminal 2.

This is one of my "stupid" work trip though.

First, I started my trip in Winnipeg, flight number 3621.
When I checked in 1 hour and 40 minutes ahead of the flight schedule, the agent told me that the flight has a load restriction. So, when I received my boarding pass, the seat number says "GTE" and my luggage is noted as "SBY". I don't know what happened enroute though. Probably, the B737-200, an ex-Canadian aircraft is too old already. Eventually, they put me on the aircraft and it left YWG at 6:55 am approximately.

The flight was smooth. Since it has a 80 passengers load restriction, the flight is pretty empty. I like it.
The food on board is ok, with omlette as usual.

I arrived at YVR at 7:55 am YVR time. Bad things had started here. I have to wait 4 hours for my next connecting flight AC17 to Taipei. I was so bored at the YVR airport and walked around the construting domestic terminal as well as int'l terminal. Um, I had some congee and Chow Mein in the int'l bldg. food court.

Then, at 10:00 am, I proceeded to go into the international bldg and enter the restricted area.
The waiting time inside the restricted area was long.
At around 10:30 am, I saw my flight had arrived from Taipei. After that, JL18, CX888, a CI flight arrived at almost the same time. I don't know how the customs can handle 3 full load B744. It would be a big mess!

In the int'l bldg., a Canada 3000 A320 was waiting to leave YVR for Anchorage.

The flight AC17 was delay after all. Why? Lots of standing by passengers. The luggage service cannot handle that and the departure time was delayed to 12:10 pm.

The flight was smooth, until Russia. When the flight entered Japan, we had turbulance 4 times. It's not a good experience though.

Food is good.

We have pork noodles and chicken rice as the first hot meal. Then, followed by noodles and sandwiches.
Just 1.5 hours before landing, we had our last meal with chicken and beef.

For the first meal, I chose pork, it was great. The second one, I chose chicken. Well, this one is not really good.

Anyway, I would be in Taiwan for a while...

CR-J @ TPE Internet Cafe

AC183

RE: AC YWG -> YVR, YVR -> TPE

Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:47 am

There's at least three reasons I can think of as to why there could be a load restriction:
-if the 737 was one of the ex-PWA aircraft, it would have less power, less fuel capacity, and other reduced capabilities compared to the ex-CPAir planes
-at YWG there's runway reconstruction underway, which may have contributed
-It's also possible a heavier cargo load was being carried

SIA_B777

Sun Jul 01, 2001 3:49 am

what aircraft did you fly from YVR - TPE?

tupolev154b2

Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:32 am

Most likely an A340-300

jasewgtn

Mon Jul 02, 2001 7:50 am

If you checked in 1:40 ahead for a domestic flight, I thought you would have been given a seat number straight away. Its the people turning up at the last 3 mins that should be put on standby.

Were you on a confirmed ticket? Or ID/AD travel?

CR-J

Thu Jul 05, 2001 1:46 pm

Re: JaseWTN,

I have a confirmed ticket. I did not arrived there late though. The weight restriction is quite annoying. Some standby passengers had been waited for 4 planes, but still, no seats...

Re: SIAB777,
The plane I took was an Airbus A340-300

Re: AC183,
I have no idea on the weight restriction. However, FA and ground representatives had been working hard to find out the reason of the weight restriction. It's not related to cargo and environmental effect.
Even the pilot has no idea on whatever happened and says sorry 3 or four times.