First Class Upgrades

Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:47 am

Hey - I am a gold memeber of AA Advantage and I just booked coach tickets from AUS-BOS in November 2001.

I looked at the seating charts on AA.com, and they showed that First -class was completely empty on every single flight I am taking. Is this normal, is first class normally hardly booked 2 months before a flight?

From your experience, do I hav ea good shot at getting upgraded? With the gold card, and seeing no one in first class, I was thinking I had a pretty good chance. But, the date is still far away.

Thanks for any hints, tips, answers, or recommendations.
Take Care,

BlingBling

traveler

RE: First Class Upgrades

Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:07 am

Hello!

I have often been upgraded in Business or First. You have to have a great smile, be polite, arrive as early as possible and ask who you should speak to in case they say they can't do anything about it.

Furthermore, take a llok at the staff before going to the counter and find someone who you think may upgrade you

traveler

madmax

Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:08 am

BlingBling: Nice name, You have an ok chance of getting in 1st w/gold. Much better if you were plat or execplat. The reason you see 1st is empty is because most people that fly in 1st are waiting for the time 72-24 hrs before the flight that they can get upgraded, doing the same thing your doing. Also i doubt aa feels like updating their seating charts online is important. Hope this helps.
-MC

Jason Seiple

Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:37 am

First Class also fills up near departure time with last minute travelers (business travelers) who either have to buy a first class ticket since coach is full or pay full fare and get upgraded for that reason.

On American, upgrades are much more likely if you were a higher frequent flyer elite level member than Gold.

Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:55 am

Well if you have certificates you have to wait until 24 hours before the flight.