TWA902fly

Part 2: ORD-OAK

Mon Sep 24, 2001 8:22 am

Here is hald of my second trip.

July 22 2001
ORD-OAK (Chicago O'Hare to Oakland, California)
United #1733 737-300
dep 9:15AM arr 11:56AM
Economy seat 14A

After spending about 14 hours in Chicago total, I was back at O'Hare. I got there pretty early since my brother was on the 7:45AM Delta flight to Salt Lake City, where i had returned from the day before. I was on my way to Oakland with my mom, dad, brother and a family friend. After sayign goodbye to my brother, he having made a timely departure we went over to Terminal 1 and checked our luggage. There was a lot- 5 people worth of luggage for 3 weeks. We checked in with the premier (my dad) self check in machine things. They were pretty cool. We were printed boarding passes for UA1733 to Oakland, seats 14A 14B 14C 14D and 14E. just as i had reserved them on united.com . Our departure gate was C1, the farthest possible gate from the terminal. You have to walk through the underground tunnell and then all the way to the end of C concourse. I was really tired, after being stupid and not going to bed until 3AM and waking up 5:30 to go to O'Hare. So I walked around, baught a drink and then just say down by the gate (which was very crowded, there was a flight to OAK, ORF, RIC, SLC all departing from the end of the C concourse.) So anyways our boarding time came and they said there was a mechanical problem with an engine. 5 minutes later they started letting people onto the aircraft. I took my seat... and closed my eyes almost right away, because this was going to be my third flight in less than 24 hours, with 2 nights in a row of very little sleep, so I was very tired. Again a 100% full flight. I looked at the wings, and realized this was one of the aircraft that had been in the hail storm in Denver earlier in the year. There were hundreds of patches on both wings, and the engine. Smaller dents were not covered up. Wow this looked weird. We pushed back and stood there for a couple minutes (Audio was not working) and started making our way to the runway. Once again we were about 5th inline, behind a 727, A319, 2 CRJs and a Beech 1900. all United. We took off to the north, and I watched Chicago disappear below as we turned west and climbed over the partly cloudy weather. Somewhere over the Mississippi River, the FAs came around with drinks, and a couple minutes later with breakfast which was either a breakfast burrito or an omlet. I took the breakfast Burrito and it was pretty good. After that I had some water to drink and began to doze off, dreaming about how stupid i was to be flying across the country two days in a row. I awoke to the seat belt sign over Denver. Hey!!! We were passing over Denver International Airport! I had been there the day before, so now I really felt an idiot flying across the coutry twice. I was wide awake and looking for farmiliar sights below. I saw Grand Junction, and I realized we were going to be flying right over where I had been for the past 4 weeks. So I saw the Green River, where I went kayaking for a week, followed by the Henry Mountains where i went rock climbing for a week, and then Thousand Lake Mountain near Richfield Utah where i backpacked. It was unbelievable to see all these sights from the plane. I had been there just the day before, and now I was gone. I was a passenger on an airplane from Chicago to Oakland, no longer was I the happy guy who spent 4 weeks not caring about a thing. But I was still happy, even though seeing those sights almost made me cry again... darn happy memories  Smile . Well anyways we passed over Nevada, and it seemed to take a long time. The captain announced that the Dome, and El Capitan at Yosemite were on the right of the plane, but seeing how i was on the other side, i did not see them. We started to descent somewhere south of the Bay, and it was all cloudy, we turned north and i saw San Jose, followed by the bay. It was cool approaching OAK over the water. We passed over that bridge- the rally long one, and landed on runway 29 at OAK, and taxied to United's only gate. We were parked next to a Continental MD-80. We got off, made a couple phone calls, and made our way to the baggage claim. All our baggage was there, we rented our cars and here we were in the Bay Area.
Please respond with many comments.

Ratings/comments
United Airlines 8/10 should have informed us better about the dalay
Chicago O'Hare 10/10 still is the best
Oakland International 9/10 great airport, not crowded at all
737-300 7/10 this 737 was older what it seemed like.

-TWA902fly
Chicago, Illinois
9/23/01

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

jeffrey1970

RE: Part 2: ORD-OAK

Mon Sep 24, 2001 9:43 am

Sounds like you racked up a lot of United frequent flier miles this summer. I have enjoed reading your trip reports so far. You make me feel like I am flying on United also.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

TWA902fly

Mon Sep 24, 2001 9:54 am

I got

1247 ORD-SLC +500 mile bonus
500 SLC-DEN +1000 mile bonus
901 DEN-ORD +1000mile bonus
1835 ORD-OAK +1000 mile bonus
1729 SEA-ORD +500 mile bonus

I have no idea why i got so many bonuses, but they are cool.
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:48 am

great report as usual mark! remeber United Air Lines kicks ass! (closely followed by Delta, mind you) hehee