Topic Author
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:21 am


Thu Sep 27, 2001 2:27 pm

Some of you die-hard lurkers with really good memories may recall that a few months ago, I took off for a trip to Amsterdam and Turkey, and in my report on the journey I alluded to meeting and travelling with young lady from Australia. Well, to give you guys who like backstory a little of the stuff, it turns out we're having a kid together out of this little love affair, and I went down to spend a little quality time with her and the baby-to-be and do some of the medical appointments, sonogram, etc, leading up to the birth.

Flight 1:
AA21, Aug. 29, JFK-LAX, B767-200, 6:00pm, Seat 32B (then 34A)

So it was with great excitement -- and after not sleeping for about a week, getting everything done I needed to in town before I left -- that I finally hopped in a town car for JFK airport from my Brooklyn office on August 29. My destination: JFK Terminal 9, AA's domestic operation. I was boarding AA29, a B767-200 bound non-stop for the coast. The terminal wasn't much different physically than the last time I was there; I really enjoy American's service, but I have to say that their JFK operation is looking a little thread-bare. Not in terms of service, just in terms of appearance. Anyway, there was quite a line to check in, and it seemed like they were having some sort of trainee day at the airport, because when I finally got up to a free podium it was being staffed (as I noticed others were) by not one, but two, people. The first, the trainee, was a very nice, shy girl who seemed to know what she was doing but was perhaps a bit too in her shell for a customer service job. Of course, that could have been because she was overshadowed by her trainer, this very brassy, bold middle-aged woman who insisted on explaining everything to her, having her do it, and then doing it again herself. It took forever to check me in, and you could tell the poor girl was thinking, "Just let me be and I'll get this done quicker!" I think she'll be fine, though.

I proceeded down to the gate area (thinking with sad prescience as I went through security, "I can't believe they don't want to see the notebook computer, cell phone, or CD player in my bag, but whatever"), which i basically a long finger with not much in it and very few opportunities for spotting. I only had a half-hour before my flight, so I had a quick drink at the Friday's bar at the end of the terminal (right next to my gate, 49, so why not?), and got on the plane. They actually had group numbers written on the boarding pass to board by, and when the called Group 3 I got on the plane.

The plane was the standard 767 configuration, and I took my assigned seat in 32B next to a very angry, glowering German or Dutch guy who was having some sort of existential crisis in his tight black t-shirt and dog collar necklace. One thing was for sure: I didn't want to sit next to this guy. So, as boarding progressed, I kept my eyes open for open seats, and I moved back to 34A/B, which was free. As 6:00 approached, I thought I was OK, and that I'd have 2 seats to myself. Wrong. Just before the doors shut (whatever happened to boarding closing 15 minutes before departure?) this Turkish kid, about 16 years old, comes on, huffing and puffing and wtih a ton of carryon luggage. And where does he sit? Right next to me, of course. And to make matters worse, he has not put on any deodorant -- either that or his BO had simply overpowered the forces of Speed Stick. I would have happily stuck my face out the window like a golden retriever for the entire trip, were such a thing possible.

Anyway, the only thing I could do is suck it up and hold my nose. Which I did. Thank God the door closed a minute later, and we began our taxi to the runway -- which took several minutes. On the way, I saw a lot of interesting planes, including an Iberia 747-200, some Singapore MEGATOPS, and a Northwest 747-400 as it pulled out of the gate -- just like the one that sent me off to AMS at around the same time some months ago on the trip that would change my life. Soon enough we were on our way, the jets spooled up, and we began our climb. AA's service was, as I've always found it, right on the stick; drinks service began soon after we hit a "comfortable cruising altitude" and between the maker's mark on the rocks I ordered and the extra legroom, I could almost forget the kid sweating and huffing and puffing next to me. (I thought he was going to have a heart attack, I really did. Then when he passed out for the duration of the flight, forcing me to climb over him to go the bathroom, I thought maybe he did -- not that I was going to report it and risk missing my connection in LA!)

Dinner came around shortly afterwards -- the usual chicken or pasta choice; I had the pasta bolognese with a red wine, which was fairly tasty for airline pasta, and it came with a rock-hard roll, a decent dessert, and a limp salad. But it was filling enough and edible, and for coach, well, I'm not going to complain. On the way out to the coast they were supposed to show a movie, but the system was busted (no great loss -- I never watchthe movies on planes anyway) and I wandered around a bit. Went to the back and had a Bailey's to cap my dinner off, and chatted with the f/as a bit and a woman who was burping an infant -- children are now immensely fascinating to me -- and then wandered around some more, not wanting to get trapped with my seatmate. This is the big thing about coach travel - it's fine if there's not a body right next to you. But if there is, well, it goes from tolerable nuisance to potentially nightmarish.

Finally, about 8:30 (the flight was in early) we landed in LA. I grabbed my bag and hotfooted it out of the terminal, hooking a left to the International Terminal, on the way being accosted by an old drunk black guy who was soliciting for several different organizations (he couldn't keep it straight) and told me that he could feed a veteran's family of 5 for $10 a month. Hysterical.

Flight 2:
QF 12/AA 7364, Aug. 29, LAX-SYD, B747-400, 10:30 pm, Seat 47H

Once I made it in to the terminal, I tried to figure out what to do with my time. I knew they had a Daily Grill there, which was a favorite place for a bite when I lived in Washington, DC, so I thought I'd head up for a burger or a steak sandwich. Did I mention that my girlfriend in Australia is a vegetarian? That sort of makes me a vegetarian too when I'm down there, so I wanted to get as much bloody red meat into my system as possible. Sadly, this was closed, and I had to go get a Big Mac (just out of spite) at the McDonalds, whch I brought to the area of the bar that was open, where I washed it down with a crisp vodka martini. (Dinner of champions.) My reverie was only interrupted by my cellphone, which decided to keep ringing all through this, forcing me to work a bit more before I got on the plane.

Eventually I decided to go to my gate, and after a quick trip through security, I was in LAX's very bland international holding area. Not much was going on save for some activity at a bland looking snack bar and a whole mess of Aussie and American retirees making friends over stories of health woes at the gate. I simply stared out the window at the huge, beautiful white bird that would take me to the other side of the world. They started calling out for boarding; first the extremely lucky ones who would get to sleep in those sleeper seats, then the reasonably blessed who could at least sit in business class, and then the proletarian masses like myself stuck in coach -- it was like an aeronautical Heironymous Bosch painting as the passengers were separated between the elect and the damned.

But, as I said before, coach is fine as long as you don't have to sit next to someone directly. I took my seat, 47H, the right-side aisle in the second row of coach. A nice young lady, Tracy, sat in the window seat (she had just flown from LONDON!) and we both discussed how much we hoped no one would sit between us. And you know what? No one did, and we had the middle seat to throw our junk down on.

I know that a lot of people on this board sometimes rubbish QANTAS' customer service, but I have to say this was an able crew, led by the aptly named Mr. Wing. As we boarded, there was a very up-beat sense of, "ok, I know you all think this is a horribly long flight, but we can all get through this together" among them, and they really wanted everyone to be comfortable and happy. The plane seemed about 75-80% full, and we pulled out of the gate reasonably on time, taking off with a looooooooong takeoff roll shortly thereafter (considering all the fuel we had on board to get us to our destination).

Soon, drinks were served, and Tracy (who was on her way to a year-long assignment down under) and I had a cocktail and chatted a bit about Australia. I normally am not much of a chatter with seatmates, but I made an exception here as we were both making big forays, in our own ways, into the new world of Australia. After that, we had dinner -- I forget the choices but I had a nice hunk of herbed chicken that was surprisingly big and juicy. The money and effort they put into their coach food clearly paid off.

Really there's not a lot to say about a long flight that makes it different than a short flight -- except the service and food. After dinner I managed to sleep for about 4 hours, as did Tracy, but when we both woke up we were in the middle of a lights out period, and the cabin was seriously dark, and we thought we were a lot closer to our destination. After figuring out our watches and so on, we realized we had about 9 hours to go, and they started showing their movies. With a little light, we were able to read and occupy ourselves, and I got up and got us a couple of wines from the middle galley, where the crew was so happy for something to do that it took four of them to get two glasses of vino. I don't remember all the movies they showed, though Spy Kids (which looked atrocious) was on, as was (I couldn't believe this) CROCODILE DUNDEE IN LA. We put on our headsets and marvelled at the atrociousness that is Paul Hogan, and discussed the Faustian bargain he must have made for his staying power. Eventually some of the lights came up and they started coming through with water, and eventually, what I thought was a really nice touch -- orange popsicles. Very refreshing.

We slowly made our way across the ocean, the equator, the date line, and countless reefs and atolls. Though it was dark it started to approach breakfast time, and they came through the cabin with a sausage breakfast that was so wonderfully salty and greasy that you coldn't help but feel happy inside. We actually got to the coast of Australia a little early, and circled for a little while south of the city before the airport opened up at 6 am, landing a few minutes early. By this time I was jumping up and down to see my pregnant girlfriend, and thankfully they unloaded the plane (and the bags) quickly. A short "welcome to Australia" from the immigration inspector, a wave-through from the customs guys, and I was there.

Flight 3
QF 107, SYD-LAX, Sept. 23, B747-400, 10:40am, 53C

I had a wonderful three weeks in Sydney -- marred only by the horrendous events in my home town, which were beamed 24 hours a day for four days to Australia courtesy of CNN. I was supposed to stay two weeks, but air travel was so fouled up between Australia and America (and everywhere else) that I just extended my ticket, free of charge. We got to the airport three hours early, because of the fear of the security regimes, and there were a ton of people on line for the flights to LA and Honolulu that were leaving around the same time. (What with allthe Ansett craziness, it was a horrible time at Sydney airport!) Other than the line, the airport's international area seemed quite nice, with a lot of food available and good spotting opportunities. (On the way in we saw a lot of interesting planes, including Ansett's 747, grounded).

We said our goodbyes (I'll be back soon), and I made it through the first layer of security, which wasn't that much stricter -- though apparently they were randomly searching people's checked luggage. After that I made it through a second layer of security, near the gates to America, where they were searching everyone's hand luggage thoroughly and hand-scanning us with magnetic wands. (We all had to lift up our pant cuffs, too, for some reason). Anyway, the plane was late coming in from LA (because of security, no doubt) and we didn't start boarding until 10:40 -- the doors closed at 11:30. We taxied out to the end of the runway, 34L I think, which took forever, and then were airborne. There's not a lot to say about this flight, except that they served lunch, then a light breakfasty knd of snack, and then dinner right before we landed, shortly before 6 AM in LA. (A really nice spicy shaved lamb is good for economy class, but not at that hour!)

Because of the security precautions, everyone who was continuing on the QF107 service to NY (not me; thanks travel agent!) had to clear customs and re-check their bags; I cleared customs quickly and threw my bag on a convey that was to take my bag to AA to get it on my flight.

Flight 4
AA 2, LAX-JFK, Sept. 23, 9:00 am, B 767-200, seat 34h/k

What a difference three weeks makes. In the time since I left the states, the entire climate of the country was changed in the wake of the attack by the barbaric Islamic fascists on New York and Washington. Security was much edgier at LAX, though I made it through quickly, and the fliught boarded and left on time. And, amazingly, the flight has about 20 people in coach -- I feel bad for all the airlines and their poor employees, though the AA Crew on this flight was very friendly and service oriented, and all wearing red, white and blue ribbons in solidarity both with the nation and their co-workers who died. There were maybe about 20 people on the plane, and though I was supposed to sit next to someone, I managed to snag 2 seats on the other side of the plane, where, after a nice omlette for breakfast, I passed out until shortly before landing in a much more somber, sober New York. I took the A train in to town for some reason, and was stunned by the "missing posters", the flags, the broken skyline. But that's another report for another time.

Hope you enjoyed this report, lemme know if you have any questions.
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:55 pm


Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:08 pm

Wow... A spectacular trip report for a change.
Thanks alot Ironminds, its actually the best trip report I have ever read (and I have never said that before)
So did you enjoy Qantas both ways?

I am doing a study on Australian Employees for our school, and i am basing it on Qantas. I was wondering what the average age group of F/A's were.

Thanks alot once again, and best wishes to your wife and child-to-be

Spirit of Australia
Topic Author
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:21 am


Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:17 pm

Thanks so much for your comments...Yes, I enjoyed QANTAS both ways, I have to say that both crews were friendly and competent. The one on the way back was a little less friendly and chatty -- though some of this I attribute to general tension in the industry and world. As far as age, they tended to range in age from about 25-55. It's always a dangerous game to guess ages, but the crew on the way down was mostly comprised of women who looked about 30-45, though the crew on the way back was surprisingly young (mostly a bunch of hip young guys who looked in their 20s) for what I imagined was more of a seniority route.
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2000 3:41 pm


Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:32 pm

Excellent trip report Ironminds! Isn't it weird that the WTC isn't there anymore?
Proud to be an Assyrian!


Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:48 pm

Great report. I can only imagine what it was like to return to post-September 11 NYC.

Congrats on the baby-to-be too!
Posts: 2310
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 6:00 pm


Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:53 pm

Loved it Ironminds,
Gald you had a good trip on QF and AA!!
Posts: 6079
Joined: Thu May 03, 2001 5:19 pm


Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:11 pm

Yeah, great report mate, 5 stars for that one!
Though, kinda weird with the servings on the Sydney-Los Angeles flight. Who knows, maybe they accidently switched the meals around, so they had to serve breakfast first and dinner at the end (but then again, what do I know, I'm only a passenger Big grin)
Posts: 6789
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2000 3:33 am


Fri Sep 28, 2001 1:02 am

Great report!  Big thumbs up Best of luck to you, your lady and baby to be.

I hope to make a few more trips out there soon. Wouldn't it be nice though if that sonic crusier were here already?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:38 am


Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:37 am

Fantastic report!
Couldn´t stop reading till the end.
Seems like nothing has changed at QF´s great service.
best of luck  Wink/being sarcastic
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way
Posts: 1484
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:31 am


Fri Sep 28, 2001 8:52 am

Excellent report. What did you think of Qantas and more importantly my country Australia?
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:55 pm


Fri Sep 28, 2001 9:11 pm

Thanks for your help.
The average age group from the report I am conducting is actually about 34~41.
Were the more senior ones any more experienced?

Thanks again
Spirit of Australia
Posts: 2310
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 6:00 pm


Fri Sep 28, 2001 10:23 pm

Yer Ironminds i forgot to mention...
Goodluck with your Baby...(Boy or girl??) and your Girl friend!! I hope everything works out for you guys!!
By the way..if you donot mind me asking...what type of job do you do??

Topic Author
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:21 am


Sat Sep 29, 2001 1:04 am

Hey, thanks everyone for the kind comments about the report and the good wishes for the familial situation.

Lemme try and answer some questions:

Yeah, I thought it was weird too that they seemed to switch the meal order around on the flight back; it seems like too elemental a decision not to have been deliberate, but I would have preffered them to do it in a more logical order. Other than that, in answer to the guy who asked about QANTAS, I think it's pretty clear that I enjoyed their service despite what the nay-sayers have often said. Of course, that could have been from having had two good crews (and there wasn't much difference between the younger and older members). And re: Australia, I absolutely loved it, and I certainly wouldn't mind settling for a year or two at some point in Sydney, which is an incredible city. Finally, it would be cool to have the Sonic Cruiser, Mirrodie, but as you know, the flight is OK and if you just get mentally prepared to power through it, the 14 hours from LA isn't all *that* horrible.

Again, I appreciate the comments and good wishes -- I look forward to writing you guys a report next year on the joy of flying to New York from Sydney with a baby!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: devron, polet and 35 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos