johnnybgoode

Planning Trip From Hawaii To Tasmania: Need Advice

Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:54 pm

hey guys,

i´m already planning my summer vacation next year.
gonna spend a few days in LAX and SFO, will head onto Hawaii, spent a week or two over there, split up with my family and will proceed on to Hobart, and from there i will be heading home.

primarily, i will fly star alliance carriers because through my father we can get very cheap fares on all star carriers, but still, i will be flying standy-by on most flights.

re the flights to SFO or LAX that will be Lufthansa from Frankfurt, and the flights to Hawaii will most probably be United.
but then, it gets interesting.
i want to end up in hobart, but how do i get there?
there are no direct flights between HNL and HBA, so i will have to make connections at least once.
best variety of connections to HBA provides MEL.

Air Canada currently operates the HNL-MEL route, however, the flight originates in YVR/YYZ and according to AC they cannot pick up any pax at HNL which have not begun their voyage in Canada.
that´s very sad as i would very much enjoy flying on AC again.
same accounts for the HNL-SYD routing, also op´d by AC.

another choice could be Qantas. although i would prefer star members, i wouldn´t hesitate to fly QF since i´ve had excellent experiences on QF.
however, QF only operates HNL-SYD and arriving at 700am at SYD doesn´t provide any connections for a direct flight to HBA, to my knowledge.
so i would have to fly via MEL which, as an aviation enthusiast, would certainly not be a problem!

a third possibility might be Air New Zealand, flying HNL-AKL and then connect either to SYD, better connections, but i would still have to go to MEL, or directly from AKL to MEL.
and still, would i take QF or NZ across the Tasman?

regarding the domestic flights within australia it seems that QF would be again the front-runner, since i don´t know exactly about AN´s current state and about their connections (do they already operate to HBA again?).

if i chose Qantas, i would most certainly choose them for the SYD/MEL-SIN flights, although i would love to fly Singapore Airlines, but that would make ticketing even more complicated.

the last trip SIN-FRA will again be on Lufthansa.

so if anyone has insight about Air Canada´s flights from HNL to SYD/MEL regarding 5th freedom rights, some suggestions or info regarding possible routings on the above mentioned airlines or just some experience to share on these routes and carriers, i would love to hear from you!!!

cheers
daniel

If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

aussie_

RE: Planning Trip From Hawaii To Tasmania: Need Advice

Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:56 am

If AC is not a possibility, I would recommend Air NZ to AKL with a connection to MEL.

Flights to HBA from SYD only operate twice a day (or is it now 3x??) and will be more expensive due to the greater distance.

Unfortunetely with the demise of Ansett (the cancellation a few years ago of AirNZ flights there), there are no longer any Star airlines operating to HBA. You will have to fly Qantas or Ansett Mark II (not Star affiliated) - book early as I hear these flights fill up quickly and otherwise you will pay a high fare to get there. The one advantage is you'll fly a 717!

johnnybgoode

Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:00 pm

right, i was also hoping for a 717, and as i pointed, i would like to fly QF again, although i´ve never flown Ansett (well, Ansett Mark II).
thanks for your suggestions, i will keep them in mind!!!

rgds
daniel

johnnybgoode

Mon Nov 12, 2001 1:03 am

i just figured i could also take Air Pacific from HNL via NAN (nadi) to MEL.
both legs operated by 737-800s, although quite long flights, almost 6 and 7 hours respectively.
however, the flight only operates once a week.
does anyone have info about Air Pacific´s service, reliability, inflight comfort?????

thanks

daniel