jeffrey1970
Topic Author

BWI To BOS And Back On Usair

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:53 am

As much as I love flying, this time I would not be flying for a good reason. My Grandmother died so I went to Boston for her funeral.

1/10/02
BWI-BOS
737-300
Departure time 6:30pm
Actual Departure time 6:30pm

Arrival time 8pm
Actual arrival time 7:55pm

My day started at 8am on Thursday (1/10/02) after I droped my son off at daycare (I am a divorced father), and I left Cumberland, Maryland for Montgomery County, Maryland too meet my mother. I arrived 2.5 hours later, and helped my mother get everything together. One interesting fact for this trip was we were taking my Grandfather's ashes. I was not sure how Usair would react to that.

My sister-in-law drove us to the airport in Baltimore. I was not sure how everything would be at BWI since I had heard nothing but horror stories. We arrived at the airport at 4:10pm and by 4:35pm we were through security. This was even despite the fact that my mother was pulled aside by security for the second time in a week because she set off the alarm. By the way, for those of you interested, they put my Grandfathers ashes in that sniffer machine that they use for shoes. With plenty of time to spare, we ate at Roy Rogers, and watched some airplanes come in. I saw an ATA L-1011, an Airtran 717, a Pan Am (Boston to Maine Airways) BA 41, and a Pan Am 727. Plus, lots of Usairways 737's.

As for the flight itself, it was good. It was a bit rough because of bad weather in Baltimore. One thing that was peculiar was they had no snacks on the plane. The flight attendant said the catering company forget to cater them. Oh well, no biggie, it is not a long flight. The flight attendant was not happy about that though. She said she thought it was rediculous that they would not have snacks aboard the flight. She and the rest of the crew were very nice. I must also say I found the seats on the plane to be pretty comfortable,a dn I am a big guy. I find Boston to be such a beautiful city to fly into.

1/13/02
BOS-BWI
737-300
departure time 9:55am
actual departure time 10:00am

Arrival time 11:25am
Actual arrival time 11:15am

We stayed in the Wakefield-Stoneham, Mass area, because that is where the funeral was, and where many of our family members live. That morning we caught the Logan Expressway to the airport. That is a nice bus to ride on. Once again check-in and security was pretty quick, despite my mother getting pulled aside again. She found out she has a metal strip in her shoe that keeps setting the alarms off. We got some breakfast and sat and waited for our flight. I thought that early in the morning I would see some international arrivals at Logan, but not so. All I saw was some Usair planes, (a Usair Expressway, a 737, and a 757). Plus, some Delta, and Continental 737's.

Finally it was time to leave. I would love to tell you about the flight attendants, but I never saw them. There was turbulance the whole way from Boston to Baltimore. As a matter of fact on arrival in Baltimore the crosswinds were so strong that I got a little worried. I never get worried on a plane. My mother asked if I knew how to swim as we flew over the Patuxent River. When we landed I felt the need to congratulate the captain on landing in such difficult weather. All in all I give Usairways two thumbs up.

God bless through Jesus, Jeff

FrequentFlyKid

RE: BWI To BOS And Back On Usair

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:10 am

Sorry about your grandmother/grandfather.....(Sorry, I don't know which you meant, you said both in your post.)

CcrlR

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:35 pm

Sorry about your grandmother too. I know you like flying too and me too. When my grandmother went to Jackson MS. for a family funeral she flew Southwest and she gave me a safety card and I have it with me. Then a few years later she passed away too and it's was a sad experience too but I still have that safety card from Southwest with me.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

jeffrey1970
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:57 pm

FrequentFlyKid,

Thank you. It was my grandmother's funeral that we were going to, but my grandfather's ashes (who died in 1994) were being interned with her.

jeffrey1970
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:59 pm

Thank you CcrlR. I am sorry about your grandmother too.