CcrlR
Topic Author

My Flight Around Meigs Field

Sun Jan 27, 2002 7:38 am

January 26, 2002
CGX
Piper A28-161 N31715

The day starts out like any other Saturday with clear skies and nice temperatures. I left out to go to Meigs but when I got there the winds were really high. As soon as I got in I got registered and waited until my number was called and the pilot came to take me on his plane. When we got to the plane he showed me the specs and the engine I saw all the parts to it. Next we got in and he showed us the controls and instruments. When he started up the engine and taxied to Runway 18 for departure we had to wait for some planes to land in too. When we got the clearance from the tower to take off we throttled up to full and took off from 18. When we got up there was a high crosswind that made the plane bumb around while takeoff. When we got to the desired altitude level we went over Chicago while we were bumping around from the wind. As we turned around the wind yanked the plane back some more until the pilot got to the right heading. As we flew back around we saw some cool places like the McCormick Place and Solider Field (It was being renovated while we flew around and I saw all of the area).

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Bahadir Acuner

As we turned for final we were still jerked around by the high winds until we got to line up for landing. We had to go near Navy Pier because of new restrictions were implemented yesterday around Downtown. As we descended I tried to get some pictures of us landing and I managed to get some of them. As we touched down on 18 and taxied to the apron and parking area it was a nice ride for a few minutes.

The best part of the ride was the fact that I was at Meigs. I haven't been back there since I was in Kindergarden and i wanted to go back before they closed it (Well it's staying open for linger so I can go back for some more!!!!)! The only bad thing was the wind because it got really windy when we got near the lake. I'm kinda glad that Meigs is still open because it's a really famous airport in FS and here too.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dave Sims

"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

CactusA319

RE: My Flight Around Meigs Field

Sun Jan 27, 2002 8:36 am

That's pretty cool. Where did you register to get the free flight at CGX?

CcrlR
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:12 am

It was the Young Eagles flying program. They give free flights for kids 7 to 17.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Alaskaairlines

Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:37 am

I would like to do that someday.

-Dmitry

CcrlR
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:00 pm

they might do it in Alaska. Just visithttp://www.youngeagles.com and mabye they will show you. You should go there too to Meigs it's nice and cool and when you get there there is a observation deck you can see the planes too. if you also go there during weekdays there will be a lot of planes there too. Too bad United Express isn't there anymore it would have been nice to see them there!