Topic Author
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:30 pm

NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:59 pm

This is my first trip report, and I didn't take notes, so everything is by memory ... so I wont be able to be like some here and say "the plane was supposed to arrive at 4 PM, and landed at 3:59pm" ... all I can say is all flights were on time for departure and arrivals, except one was late departing. Also, just a warning.. but this thing is long.

My Mom suggested it, and since I've been wanting to fly again I got my Dad to say yes, so my Dad and I took a trip this past weekend-Friday to Saturday night.

Ended up getting at the airport two hours ahead-plenty of time-due to my Mom. My Dad dropped me off at the terminal and I went in and using the eTicket machines, inserted my non rev flight pass card and received the seat request cards for my Dad and I and went thru security. My Dad went to park in the Delta parking structure and took the employee tram in to the gate.

Flight- #1873.
Arrival 11:15pm.
Equipment- 757-200
Seats-5 C & D. First Class.
Departing gate: I believe 53b
Newest paint job.
The flight had been looking quite empty when we left for the airport, and was still nice and empty in first when we got there. My Dad ran into an old supervisor from the Western days, and we believe he contacted the agents working the flight as we were cleared almost immediately once she started working the flights and when we went up she made some comment like "Oh YOU'RE the -- our last name here." We didn't have anything to worry as there were 12 revenue, and after the upgrades, 8 non revs got into first, counting us, out of 24 seats.

As we boarded, I went to slip into our row while the F/A was taking the drink order for the people in seats 4 An and B, she was attentive enough that she grabbed my coat without me even having to offer it to hang it up-while this is what they should do, I was surprised. She came back and asked us what we wanted to drink, and then came around with the snack basket-which was either a bag of pretzels or the Delta Snack Mix. As we were taxing I got the headphones out to listen to the music. We were #1 for take off and soon were in the air. After we were airborne, she came around again taking drink orders and also bringing snacks around a few times-at one point she had those Biscoff cookies and after checking the row behind us, she came back to our row and gave us a big handful of the Biscoff cookies... I started laughing cause she was so cool. She also got me to take some more of the snack mix.. was nice. Almost as soon as the flight began, we started our decent into LAS. Landing was nice and smooth, and we arrived in I believe gate D 33 or 34?

Flight # 1944
Departure: 1:20 AM
Arrival: 5:40 AM
Equipment- 767-300 domestic.
Seats 3 A and B.
Departing out of gate: D44
New paint job

We had a two hour layover in Vegas, which if you do not mind me saying sucked royally this time. Pre 9/11, everything would've been open. The food stands, the gift shops, etc. Nothing but a Quizmos sandwich place was open and by this time I was starving as it had been a while since dinner. So I ate a couple bags of the snack mix from the previous flight as we waited. Eventually boarding began again and we boarded, got our drinks, and settled in for the take off. I got the headphones out before we left the gate and started listening. Eventually we pushed back from the gate and were #1 to take off after a plane landed. Since we were on the left side of the plane, I did not have a nice view of the strip this time out of Vegas as I have had in the past- oh well  Sad. The flight at the start was a little bumpy, but soon smoothed out once we reached cruising altitude. I fought off sleeping as I was actually wanting the snack they were going to be serving on this flight-it consisted of a chicken wrap with tomato and lettuce, a nice salad, and a couple cookies. I actually love the chicken wrap, just some flavor in it tastes really good and I always compare it to the ones I get on the ground. After I ate I got a couple hours of sleep, while waking up at the close flashes of lighting from the storm we were flying over- was gorgeous, but annoying also as some of the very bright flashes would wake me up ... and yes, I know I could've closed the shades but there's something I don't like about closing them at night.. lol..anyways, I stayed completely awake on approach to DFW as I enjoyed it- the previous three or four times into DFW have always been with the sun already rising. Touch down was smooth again and we taxied into some gate at DFW (told you I didn't keep notes)

Flight # 172
Departure 8:50am
Arrival 11:53pm
Equipment-767-300er, international configuration.
Seats: 2 F and G.
Departing gate 14.
New paint job.

Again we had another two hour layover in DFW. We walked down to the Burger King near the NW gates and got something for breakfast while waiting. When we went to make sure we were on airport standby for DFW-ATL leg, the agent made a comment about an earlier flight- I purposely chose this flight due to BusinessElite. He also had to take a double look at our itinerary-LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX in 24 hours I think is not common with them, and he probably thinks we are nutz..lol. We checked in and sat down.. got a little sleep, but mostly I was watching the action coming thru the security check point we were near. Finally it came time for our flight, and as they were begining the boarding for first class we received our boarding passes and went to board. I was happy to have BizElite for this leg as I was planning to get some much needed sleep. After we were air born, they came around with breakfast-cold cereal (Kellogg's 19), a banana, plain yogurt, and a croissant with butter and strawberry jam. After I ate I went to sleep. The flight some somewhat turbulent into Atlanta. The landing had a lot of turbulence, and the leg rest of the BizElite seat was bouncing a lot. I had fallen asleep after the meal service, but woke up during approach.. and then fell asleep again and didn't wake up until touch down. We landed and taxied into gate E4.

Flight # 557
Departure 7:00pm
Actual Departure: 7:15
Arrival: 8:41 PM.
Actual Arrival: 8:35pm
Equipment- 767-400
Seats 7 C and D.
Departure Gate- T2
Arrival Gate- 56 A or B.
New paint job.

This is the one flight I remember the exact times clearly ... so I was able to post those.

We had planned to go downtown and buy some BigGame tickets, then walk the underground then head back to try and go over to the GO and check out the museum-we were able to do two of three things.. the GO office is closed on the Weekends.. oh well. So we had three and a half hours to kill. I wanted to log onto the web and check out what was going on @ airliners.net and a couple other things so I went to one of those laptop worlds-never again-and paid over 6 bucks for 8 minutes of web time! After that we went and got some pizza in the E concourse and sat by the window, looking out at a couple MD11s and the rainy weather.

We decided to head back to the gate and wait there for our flight. Departing out of T1 was a flight to FLL I believe, and due to the weather there had been a number of bumps from earlier in the day. They were trying to get as many on the flight as they could, but a bunch ended up left behind- I went to use a payphone to find out how our flight was looking and the lady near me was on the phone to her husband almost yelling and cursing saying to get her on any flight home, any airline, etc. ... though I think she did get on in the end. I could tell in the voices of the gate agents they were getting a little exasperated at everyone on standby coming up as they had to make a number of announcements that the flight was going to be full and everything.

Back to our flight-the flight was delayed getting into ATL from MCO, so our flights departure time was pushed back to 7:10... only a 10 minute delay, ended up 15.. not bad at all overall with the rain. I love those gate display panels at the Delta gates in LAX, DFW and ATL. We were able to see we had been cleared-but at first it was into coach.. with 8 seats open in first.. so my dad went up to ask.. turns out the lady who put us on airport standby placed us into coach.. so the gate agent changed it and we just had to wait a couple minutes and were cleared this time into first. Once boarding started, we boarded and sat down ... got our drinks and I immediately got out the PTV and headphones and started playing Tetris. Taxi was short and quick since the T gates are so close to the end of the runway. We were like #2 for take off. By then, as we went rolling by the E gates, most of the planes had already left for their European destinations.

Before take off, they came around and took our orders for dinner-the options was steak with rice and vegetables. A white fish with rice and vegetables, or Chicken with Macaroni and Cheese. I got the chicken, my dad got the steak. Last time on this flight I had gotten the steak and it was basically a filet migon. This time, it wasn't really a filet, but my dad said it still wasn't that bad. The chicken was actually nice.. just was a nice light meal after a long day of traveling. After meal service I went to sleep and woke up once in a while, a couple times during approach, then stayed up as we started to descend into the clouds. We broke thru the clouds just shortly before touch down ... that plane does a nice landing in cloudy weather. We taxied to the gate, then my dad made a mad dash down the jetway stairs to the employee tram to catch the 8:45 tram-which he made-and we were off for home after he picked me up at the terminal.
Posts: 3035
Joined: Mon May 29, 2000 2:21 pm

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On D

Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:19 pm

Great Trip Report! I loved your attention to details. I am a United NRSA traveler and I too understand the joys and the pains of standby travels. God job on getting First on your flights.  Smile Quick question, just out of curiousity were the cabin curtains closed on your flights? I want to see what other airlines are doing regarding that policy.

I L U V 7 6 7
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:51 am

so you're one of those people who can't live without airliners.net for a day and $6 for 8 minutes is worth it?

just kidding.... (but there are some like that here i bet...)

anyways great trip report, too bad everything was closed in LAS, but then again it was from 11pm till 1am that your layover was.

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2001 6:33 am

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:48 pm

Enjoyed the trip report!

I Actually flew DFW-LAX-LAS-DFW for a day trip at the beginning of this month, so I can visualize some of your flights. I have to agree, sometimes it is just nice to get out of the house and go for a plane ride.

You should try international Biz-Elite. It is a nice experience. Although, I recommend if you go across the Atlantic, stay at least one night and take a day trip on your arrival date. Many think it is not worth it, but I beg to differ  Smile

Again, nice report and glad that you enjoyed the trip!
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:13 pm

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:26 pm

For ILUV767:

Delta closes its first class curtains shortly after take off. I flew them First Class from HNL-LAX-HNL a week ago. Continental also closes their BusinessFirst curtains as well...I flew them two weeks ago.

Posts: 1826
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:56 am

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:56 am

Great Report
I just flew American today and last wednesday and the curtians remained open.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton
Topic Author
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:30 pm

RE: NonReving LAX-LAS-DFW-ATL-LAX In 24 Hours On DL.

Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:15 pm

ILUV767- as others said, they closed the curtains after take off. And getting first isnt too hard for me due to my dads senority- 35+ years... makes it easier if we plan our flights right.

Twa902fly- haha.. yea, I bet there are... as much as I would like to be able to check airliners.net when I am on trips like that, I dont think it is worth the money- and thinking back, I'm not surprised at how empty those places were. I think I was the only one using it while I was in there.

Nonrevman- I want to do just that... one I get my passport, which I hope soon, I would like to even just fly into either Paris or London and out the same day once.. spending a night or two would be a plus.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos