Ex_SQer
Topic Author

CO75/2Jun LAX-HNL

Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:37 am

I just moved from LAX to HNL to start a new life as an entrepreneur... I lost my management consulting job a few months ago, and this opportunity in Hawaii cropped up.... and so I am writing this from my new home, while taking a break from unpacking and stuff. Anyway, I took CO75 LAX-HNL on 2Jun to get here, so here's my trip report:

CO75/2Jun
STD: 0950PST ATD: 0951PST
STA: 1225HST ATA: 1206HST
A/C: B767-400
Class: Y
Seat: 24B

I had only ever flown CO once on a short haul flight. They don't have a strong west coast presence, and my former employer preferred UA, so I never got to fly CO when I was working for them. In any case, I had 4,000 OnePass miles(from flights on CO and AS) I knew I would never use, so I transferred 31,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and got this ticket.

After taking this trip, I am now impressed with them! Miles better than UA and AA, and great for an American carrier.

Anyway, here is my report in brief:

On the Ground at LAX:
Checked in at CO's automatic check-in stations for e-ticket holders. Very fast and efficient.

Boarding began about 40 mins before departure. In the past I had flown UA (Y and F Class) to HNL umpteen times (long distance relationship), and I was expecting a huge crush of people at boarding - there are a lot of leisure travellers on these routes and they are always anxious to board and they always block the boarding area (and UA Premier Executives like me who can board anytime!). Anyway, I was surprised by the lack of chaos at boarding - it was orderly and row-by-row. Impressive considering it was a full flight. I think CO's pre-boarding announcements definitely help.

Got on board to find someone in my seat - 24B - but we resolved the issue through sign language - I think he only spoke Japanese. Uneventful take off, although takeoff roll was long. It was a fully loaded 764, after all. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 764 is underpowered relative to its predecessors.

Service:
Drink when we reached cruising altitude (they poured the sodas and did not give the whole can - the happened all through the flight - reminds me of SQ!)
Meal was a choice between beef and the ubiquitous chicken and pasta. I almost never take Coach Class beef catered out of LAX - I have had some horror stories from UA. In any case, the chicken was decent - they over tenderised it, and perhaps it was because of the plastic knife. Portions were pretty generous and overall I was happy with it. They also had a brownie in a dish, which was good - UA only gives a cookie in a plastic wrap.
The drinks carts came about twice after the meal.

Entertainment:
CO's 767s have PTVs! I was pleasantly surprised. They made us pay $2 for the headsets, though, which was a surprise. The only complaint I have is that they turned off the video after one run, even though we still had about 2 hours of flying time! Quite annoying. I ended up playing blackjack (no $$ bets of course) and impressing the passenger behind me diagonally across the aisle. Damn I should be a gambler. Airshow stayed on in the main screen throughout the flight.

Service:
Overall it was pretty good for coach on an American carrier. F/As were professional and friendly.

We arrived at HNL early, I waited for my bags, and I walked out into the sunshine to start my new life .....

B737-112

RE: CO75/2Jun LAX-HNL

Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:37 pm

That's amazing, I took off out of Burbank at the same time in an AQ 73G. What's really odd is that we cruised there at Mach 0.785 which is pretty much standard and I beat you there by 1/2 hour, I was in my Waikiki hotel room when you landed. Is a 73G that much faster than a 764? Maybe what you were saying about the underpowered thing is true. Great report, hope you enjoy your "new life"!

swissgabe

Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:59 pm

Have done the same run around less than one month ago, was not that bad but like all other flights there is always this 2nd security check and the people lie on you and say it is "random". Well, 3 flights = 3 checks, I have a friend who flew 11 times within the USA and they checked him 10 times!

The flight was average I would say but very similar to Ex_SQer's report (which is quite nice by the way). I liked the thing how the E-Tickets works, very fast and no problem, first I had a few problems to enter my new Skywards FQT No. but this worked also.
The F/A where ok, but no special service (well, I normally use to fly Asian carriers and so its normal that you miss the charm on most of the US and European airlines).
It's fun to pay USD2 for the headset as long as you can keep it (which is the case).
As far as I remember they showed two movies to us, not only one.

cheers
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Ex_SQer
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:54 am

B737-112: Did you arrive an hour ahead of schedule? That's amazing! I unfortunately didn't take note of how fast we were cruising. I tend to focus on commercial and customer/ground service aspects of the airline industry; not terribly interested in the tech side of it.

Swissgabe: Yeah I know what you mean, I definitely miss the charm of Asian carriers! When I first moved to the US I flew AA, and then I got a job with a company that used UA.... it was quite a shock to the system!

Oh, one more thing to add to my report. CO's Coach seats are surprisingly comfortable - I think they curve more on the back. UA's B767 seats sometimes give me a terrible backache. Maybe that is because I usually fly in Economy Plus and with the five extra inches of legroom I tend to slouch or even slide of out of the seat.

B737-112

Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:03 am

I think our scheduled arrival time was around noon, we arrived around 1/2 early.

salvation

Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:10 am

Yes, you did have to pay for the head sets, BUT, they're yours to keep, as Continental states..."they are yours to keep for future travel on Continental". $2.00 is not bad at all considering they'll last you a while.

Ex_SQer
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:11 am

whoops I must have been asleep when they said that!