Vienna - Washington - Memphis ( Long )

Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:34 am

April , 4th :

Why I´d flew to Memphis ??
Well , my cousin stayed in the year 2000 for one year in Memphis , Thallasee. Last year , he´d married a women called Patricia. 5 months ago , Patricia have born a beautiful girl named Mary Jane. So , a few weeks ago , I got an e-mail with an invitation from Christopher ( my cousin ).
I should come to Memphis , because little M.J. had to know , who´s her uncle from europe and so I started to Memphis in April.

I was a little bit nervous , when I arrived at Schwechat Airport around 09:30AM. I doesn´t know why, but I was. I walked to the Austrian Airlines counters and checked-in for my flight OS-093 to Washington Dulles International. It nearly took me 20 minutes for checking-in for the Grand Class.
I was quite happy , as I got a window seat for the circa 10 hours long flight.
A window seat for long haul flights can be very relaxing because you can look out the window and you haven´t got a person to your left and to your right.
So I´ve passed trough the safety controls and went to the Austrian Airlines Club Lounge. There I waited until 11:15AM. So I walked to my Gate A 07 where a beautiful Airbus A 330-200 ( OE-LAM ) waited for the passengers to bring them to Washington.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Unmuth - Vienna Aviation Photography

I got on board , showed the f/a my boarding pass and after she´d take away my coat I´d went to my seat A 03. When our plane was pushed back from the gate , we´d taxied to Runway 16. We were number two for take off.
In front of us a Fokker 70 from Tyrolean Airways. We took of from Rwy. 16 around 11:45AM and climbed out into a cloudy sky. When we have reached our Flight Level , the f/a started to making the first of two meals while our flight.

FIRST MEAL:

When I choosed my meal I got immediately something to drink ( Red or white wines or coffee ) The main meal was a perfect designed plate with tomato salat , roastbeef and chillisauce.
EXCELLENT !!!  Big thumbs up
Compliments to Austrian Airlines. Your In-flight service is excellent !!!!
After the first meal I looked around in the Grand Class Cabin. At the 24 Seats in the Airbus were only 9 people sitting. Then I looked at the TV in front of my seat. I could choose between a couple of movies in german and english.
Or I could follow our flight route on a virtual map on TV. There I also could see our flight speed , our flight level and our planed route.
When we´ve passed the Atlantic coast I turned my comfortable seat back into sleeping position and fall with a smile on my face , asleep.

14:42 Atlantic Coast time:

Oh, my god... I´ve slept neary the whole flight! I woke up , turned my seat back into the normal position and looked at the monitor in front of me. Hey , we´re over the East Coast from the United States of America !!!
In 45minutes we will land at Dulles Intl. We were already on the apporoach , when I was really awake. The weather over Virginia was sunny with a few white clouds, but the Captain told us over the board phone , that we´ve -14 grad celcius. That was really cold and so I´d took out my warn winter coat.

After a smooth landing at Dulles wd were taxiing to our gate, were I got out of the plane, went away for get my suitcase and then I went out of the arrival area trough the passport control into the main terminal and from there to the United Counters.
So , that was the first step on my trip to M.J.
After I checked-in for United Airlines flight UA-065 to Memphis, Tennesee.
This time, the flight was really full and i didn´t get a window seat , but that doesn´t really matter. The plane ( Boeing B 737-500 ; N937UA ) was going to left Dulles at 16:05PM and so I haven´t got much time. I quickly passed the safety controls and boarded the plane.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Sheldon

We landed in Memphis after one hour and 45 minutes and at the airport...
A little girl was waiting for me.
I was absolutely happy!!

Christopher , Patricia and Mary Jane catched me after the arrival area.
And I can say. She looked like a little angel.

Well, thats the end of my report.
I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks spotterb.

Stretch 8

RE: Vienna - Washington - Memphis ( Long )

Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:22 am

An excellent report. BTW, who paid for your business class ticket on Austrian?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!