qantas777

UAL 744 NRT-LAX..crappy

Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:33 pm

Hey folks, thought I would write a report on my UAL flight to LAX last Monday. I was non-reving back to Atlanta and my Atlanta bound flight was looking iffy so I decided to ID-90 on United and pick a DL flight at LAX back to Atlanta. So, I bought an ID-90 Y fare ticket for around $155.00. Not too bad and it was worth it since I had to be in ATL on Tuesday (today!).

So, my name was called about 15 minutes into the boarding process. I saw that I was given an isle in row 56. I have been very spoiled on my travels and I am use to flying Business, so this was a bummer. I asked if I could be upgraded since I was an airline employee but the gate agent said no because I bought a Y fare ticket......which I did not know at the time. I offered to pay extra bc. a 6ft 5in fellow like me does not do well in economy on a 9hr segment. The agent declined and told me to board. So I asked the F/A's to see what they would say. The F/A's were all nice and told me they had no problem but the decision was up to the gate agent. So, they asked the gate to come down and talk to me. I waited a bit and a man came down and told me I bought a Y fare ID-90 and that there was no way I would sit in Business Class, even though it was very open. So I went to my seat in coach and was extra saddened to see no PTV. I thought UAL 744's had them in coach????????????? Make a long story short, the f/a's were really attentive and professional. They smiled and the ladies were hot. Good stuff. The food was good too and my rice/pork dinner was awesome for coach.

I must say that I was pretty pissed overall about the business class situation. IN the US, when I have used an ID-90, I have been upgraded lots with no problem. But in Japan, the agents were so lame. I thought it was up to the head purser to allow for upgrades??? I thought UAL was OK with upgrades. I do realize that I bought a Y fare too late, so technically I have no right to be angry............but I am. When you look at it, it's no big damn deal to sit me in business. Not many people were there and no paying pax would have noticed. I am a fellow airline employee, does that count? I am not looking for food/drink and TV, all I wanted was some room so I could sleep bc I was up for 30 hrs prior stuck in Guam. Whatever, the agents can kiss my rear.

As for UAL, they were good. I enjoyed the service and being on William A. Patterson 747-400 was nice. Left at 410pm and landed around 8am. On time and smooth flight. As for ID-90's in Asia, they all suck.

--Patrick

zrs70

RE: UAL 744 NRT-LAX..crappy

Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:11 pm

I don't get it....

What about the flight was "crappy"? It sounds like it was the gate agent that upset you, not the flight.

Are you of the ilk that thinks that if there is an empty seat in C or F, it should be filled with opperational upgrades?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

shamrock104

Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:52 pm

Qantas777,

you should be grateful you can by a ticket for $155, non airline-employees have to pay a lot more. If I were the agent at NRT I would have had you reported for your 'I have to have an upgrade now' attitude.

boeingnut

Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:47 pm

I do realize that I bought a Y fare too late, so technically I have no right to be angry............but I am.

You paid for Y, you got Y, so what is the problem here?

When you look at it, it's no big damn deal to sit me in business.

Yes, it would be, because you paid for a Y ticket.

Not many people were there and no paying pax would have noticed.

Oh, so its okey to steal (which in effect it would be, getting something which you did not pay for in the first place) if noone notices, or there are lots of said item lying around?

I am a fellow airline employee, does that count?

Um, how about NO? You were not flying on your employer's a/c. You were already using your airline employee benefit by being able to buy a one way ticket from NRT to LAX for $155. So by the ID90 rules, that ticket has a retail price of over $1550. Getting to ride trans-Pacific for $1400 less than someone who bought a ticket on the same fare rule for you isn't enough?

Make a long story short, the f/a's were really attentive and professional. They smiled and the ladies were hot. Good stuff. The food was good too and my rice/pork dinner was awesome for coach.

Sounds like you had a great flight back to the States to me!

As for ID-90's in Asia, they all suck

Then pay full fare like the rest of us, then!
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:43 am

You paid for coach, got coach. What's the big deal?

If you were to be upgraded to Business, I'd pray there were no 1K, 1P, or 2P MileagePlus members left in coach.

qantas777

Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:05 am

I don't get it....

What about the flight was "crappy"? It sounds like it was the gate agent that upset you, not the flight.

-----Yes it was the agent that did it, which tainted the rest of my flight.

If I were the agent at NRT I would have had you reported for your 'I have to have an upgrade now' attitude.

----Shamrock104 get a life. I did not create any scene or make any problems for people. Nobody was agitated at me and I was polite. I was stuck in a freakin Typhoon in Guam and was up forever and really tired. I just wanted a roomy seat for my long shanks.

I just sense a lot of bitterness for those paying people. If it makes you feel better I will be a paying pax next week when I lose my benefits.

Thanks for pointing out my flaws in the writing. I love arguments!

Sean-SAN-

Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:58 am

Qantas, in your post, you come across as ungrateful, and whinny. You're not the first person to get to sit in coach after a crappy connection, trust me.

ToFlyToServe

Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:24 am

I agree with SEAN-SAN. I think all of us that are upgraded or fly non-rev need to remember it is a privlige not a right. As for our friend not "bothering the agents at the gate" he needs to remember if the agent said NO then do not continue on with asking the F/As. Sound like a child pitting his parents towards each otherto try to get what he wants. If the an agent came on board to tell you what everyone else has told you and what you already knew then YES you where being a problem and should have been denied boarding regardless if you if you went through a storm in Gaum or not.

zrs70

Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:03 am

Just reread the original post. I got to the part that said, "And the ladies were hot."

Are you for real???? With an attitude like that you belong in coach.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

qantas777

Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:35 am

Zrs70, we need more pretty ladies in airplanes. F/A's are complete dogs in America and we need some hot women in the goddamn cabin. It was real nice to look at them walking up and down the airplane while my numb legs were pinned to my tits.

ToFlytoServe, you are right, its a privledge. However, you only get somewhere in life if you dont give up. I never bothered anyone. No yelling or folks saying just sit down. It never hurts to ask again as long as you dont create a problem. And no, I should not have been denied boarding you tight ass.

boeingnut

Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:31 pm

Zrs70, we need more pretty ladies in airplanes. F/A's are complete dogs in America and we need some hot women in the goddamn cabin. It was real nice to look at them walking up and down the airplane while my numb legs were pinned to my tits.

Wow, I thought attitudes like that went out in the 50's. The F/As are professionals, doing a job (and for the most part, doing it extremely well!). They are not there for your visual entertainment. If you want to go fawn over some "hot women", as you so nicely put it, go to a strip club in LA.

Maybe you should just stop now, because you've already buried yourself fairly deep as is.
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

agmyvr

Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:29 am

being an airline staff for over 15 years... I just stick to the rule, specially when I am travelling with other airlines, if they really need to put ID pax in Bz, they will off course consider their own employees b4 others.....that simple!

shamrock104

Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:45 am

Boeingnut,

Here here, this guy is totally 100 percent out of line.

blink182

Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:51 am

You paid a Y Class fare, and got a Y Class seat. What's the big deal?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Mr.BA

Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:57 pm

F/As are there to ensure safety and deliver service to passengers. As simple as that. You paid for a Y, you get a Y class seat, isn't it supposed to be this way? If you pay for a set of meal you don't expect to get 2 sets?
Boeing747 万岁!

Transtar

Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:50 am

My view of the UAL personnel at Narita was that they were very efficient, but very rule oriented. They move those 747s out on the dot on time. However, they are very rigid on regulations.

Cathay Pacific

Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:33 am

If everyone starts bending the rules then is there any point of having them in the first place?
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

SegmentKing

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:29 pm

the United Interline Agreement states that if you desire an upgrade, you must purchase it from the proper fare bucket and if you do not receive that class of service, you may apply for a difference in fare through WHQ Pass Bureau-WHQVW or call Sue Dressler at 847 700 9315 if you have any problems or want some clarifications about non-rev travel on United.

Now some of us do get special treatment if a flight is open... I'll admit that I've been given F when I'm on a fee-waived ticket when there is normally an add-collect, per our contract, but sometimes they dont' do it.

But if i travel overseas, I don't ticket myself until about a week out based on the loads.. If i think i'll have a chance up front, I'll do the ZED-F/C fare instead of ID90 (such a waste of money anyway)... if it looks like I'll be stuck in back, I'll do the standard ZED-Yxx issuance...

Don't @#*#( because some agents were following the rules for once.

.......Can I @#*# back about trying to upgrade on Delta on an L or U fare? I mean, I offered to pay the difference...........................
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

SegmentKing

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:38 pm

I forgot to add this ~~~

It has to be in your INTERLINE AGREEMENT, AND IT HAS TO BE A RECIPROCAL agreement, in order for OALs traveling on United to purchase First/Business Class product on a space-available basis (BP9 mind you)

-n

SegmentKing

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:40 pm

and another error.. WHQVW is for the general interline department, you could send a telex to HDQPUUA

B747-437B

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:56 pm

It is whining and snivelling people like you that give all interline passriders a bad name. Let me reiterate the 13 golden rules of non-rev for your benefit.

1) The first rule of non-rev is... you do not talk about non-rev.
2) The second rule of non-rev is.. you DO NOT talk about non-rev.
3) Your ass is in the gate agent's hands. Be nice and they will be gentle.
4) Backup. Backup. Backup.
5) Thou shalt not whine.
6) If you want to go somewhere, chances are that others do too so you probably won't be able to.
7) Repeat after me, "Thank you for that middle seat"
8) Everyone has a sob story, but they paid.
9) Repeat after me, "Whichever meal selection you have left is fine, thanks"
10) Drink too much and kiss your passes goodbye.
11) Children should be seen and not heard. Nonrevs should be neither seen nor heard.
12) Always thank the crew for the "great flight", even if it sucked.
13) Nonrev is a priviledge, not a right. Never ever forget this.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

UALDUDE

Topic: RE: UAL 744 NRT-LAX..crappy

Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:21 am

Get used to it. We do not upgrade non-revs anymore than any other airline. I had horrible luck on other airlines getting upgraded when it was completely open. They act like they are giving away gold bars by putting you in C class. I am a gate agent and anymore I just follow the simple rule that if your airline was good to me, I will try to be good to you, if your airline was bad to me, your ass is sitting in the back, end of story. Your airline DL has been very good and I try to upgrade DL employees when I can. Also, Royal Jordanian has been an excellent airline for upgrading. Thai, Emirates, Cathay, American all are stingy. On Thai, the only time I got to sit up front was when my friend was the Captain and told the purser to come move me up. He said "when the door closes, it's my airplane!"

DouglasDC8

Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:19 am

B747-437B,

May I suggest an additional rule? If they run out of meals, one must say "oh no problem, I'm not hungry anyway." After you have not eaten for 3 days...

B-HXB

Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:20 am

"Thai, Emirates, Cathay, American all are stingy."

Upgrading non-revs to me would be totally unacceptable given there are paying passengers aboard in all classes. Glad to hear that CX, an airline I fly fairly frequently, actually recognises where their revenue is coming from.

Lufthansa747

Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:57 am

B-HXB,

Exactly my thoughts. Qantas777 was a DL non-rev... Why should UA upgrade him?? I would upgrade any 1K/1P/2P before any non-revs if I was in charge of the situation. These are your best customers, the ones who choose your airline because of elite benefits. Sorry Qantas777, I didn't quite get your point.

Happy holidays to everybody,

LH747
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

UALDUDE

Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:45 am

" Upgrading non-revs to me would be totally unacceptable given there are paying passengers aboard in all classes. Glad to hear that CX, an airline I fly fairly frequently, actually recognises where their revenue is coming from." B-HXB

B-HXB, I totally understand your point, but when there are open seats you cannot always just go upgrade revenue passengers, even high status frequent flyers. There is a system in place for them to upgrade if they wish. This creates a "favors become duties" environment and if you did this all the time you would discourage people from buying C class and F class tickets because they would think "oh, they'll just move me up anyway!" When the flight is very oversold and we need coach seats, that is exactly what we do is look for our 2P/1P/1K frequent flyers and move them up. We also send them at time free upgrade certificates to use. Upgrading each other when available should be a common courtesy amongst airline staff. I would appreciate it even if I had to eat a coach meal just to have the comfort. If we can't help each other out and show some respect, then who will? Again, it would not kill any airline to upgrade non-revs if available. Like I stated before, some airlines act like the are giving away gold bars by moving you up. The seats are empty anyways and the price you pay for ID90 tickets is taken off of a Y or B fare and is not by anymeans cheap. I have bought confirmed tickets for cheaper than some ID90's! It will more than cover the cost of the meal they would serve you. Thanks.

B-HXB

Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:11 am

UALDUDE - sorry, I think I might have miscommunicated my point a little. I totally agree with you that you can't go around upgrading frequent flyer pax simply because there are seats open but what I was meaning to say was that if there are seats in Economy to accommodate all Economy pax, I don't see why anyone should be upgraded, non-rev or frequent flyer or what. Of course in situations where upgrades are necessary e.g. overbooking or whatever, then most airlines' policies dictate that frequent flyers are bumped up first (or I should hope so anyway!) Non-revs, by their name, are non-revenue pax - therefore I don't quite understand what the big fuss is about upgrades for them.

SegmentKing

Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:02 pm

airlines don't upgrade non-revs for a simple reason: protecting their product.

Everyone hates to be crammed into a cabin of an aircraft, be it business, first, or even coach.

-n

B747-437B

Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:06 pm

I don't see the problem here. You bought an ID90 that allowed you to travel in coach ONLY. This was clearly communicated as part of your interline agreement with United (go look at GRS for details). You were boarded and traveled in coach. You got exactly what was entitled to you. It's not as if you were on a carrier that promises you upgrades if space were available (like DL does). The agreement is absolutely explicit when it says that you will travel only in the class ticketed, namely Y in this case.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:30 pm

Be happy you can fly economy for USD150. I have to pay at least 5 times more. And when I fly business at least 30 times more. Thank got I am no fliht attendent or check in agent, I would lose my patience very, very quickly with annoying passengers like you. And what do you mean with 'crappy'? Looks to me the onlyone crappy was you!

nonrevman

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:02 pm

Look at GRS very carefully for pass travel on UA. When you get to UA's page look at the bottom under embargoes/restrictions/special fares. Pay close attention to :

FIRST AND BUSINESS CLASS TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED ON INTERNATIONAL ROUTES

That has mean something, what could it be?

Frankly, I am amazed that someone could be worrying about what seat they get vice if they will continue to have travel benefits for much longer in the first place. Sure, First Class and Business is a good deal, but I am thrilled to be on the plane period. For me, it is not so much how you get there. It is simply that you get there.

BTW, how does being stuck in a typhoon constitute an urgent need to be in Business. My wife and I were stuck overseas from 9-11. By your rationale, we would be entitled to the entire Business Class cabin for being tired from 3 days.

Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:27 pm

Uh, not true, 3 days ago I flew both biz and first on United (employee here) to europe and back.

SegmentKing

Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:48 pm

that's for interline agreements unless otherwise stated in the contract.....

-nate

Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:51 am

In my opinion unless your flying your airline don't ask for first class. I work the gate and I hate when OALs ask for it. If its avail and there are no employees or dependents of my airline left then I will give it to OAL's.

Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:49 pm

I am so amazed by this discussion. In 2002, my company paid more then 100,000 USD to mostly DL, UA and KL for my 20 roundtrips between AMS and the US. And here is somebody complaining that he had to fly coach with his 155 USD ticket. Are you nuts? Be happy you get to fly at all for that price! And if, for some reason, people have to be upgraded, for example because of overbooking, it would be proper to put upgade any paying coach passenger before you - as long as he/she paid more then your 155 USD.

aa61hvy

Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:56 am

how many guys call their chest/pectoral muscles tits?
Go big or go home

Sabena332

Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:03 am

I agree with most of the guys here, I also bought a (very cheap) ID90 ticket and I am happy when I get a free seat in the Economy Class tomorrow. You should be happy that you can fly cheap, other passengers have to pay a lot of more.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

kaitakfan

Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:46 am

Well, I think QANTAS777 has earned his new asshole that has been torn by everyone here!! You really have some nerve questioning the agent and flight attendants about this one!! There are some things in life its ok to be persistant on and try your hardest... but like pressuring a girl into sex, interline traveling is something you just take it as it is and never push your luck with! I always feel sorry for those who are about to lose their benefits, but with a mind set like yours, all I can say is have fun paying full fare Mr. Stoogie Tool! You will wish you could have that coach seat for $155 now!!

NWAgoldelite

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:11 am

I dont see why everyone is harrasing Qantas. I don't see what the big deal was about upgrading a guy and being nice about it. I think the agents should have upgraded him, especially if their was room.