Topic Author
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:22 am


Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:51 am

I went by myself to visit family in Jacksonville, FL for the holidays. We booked the flights on thru LAS because it was cheaper and my dad was just gonna drive me down to Las Vegas but instead we just decided to book Southwest to LAS for $48 each way. This will be my first time flying Southwest and Northwest and my first time at LAS (been to Vegas, but not the airport), MSP, and DTW. So here it goes.

Tuesday, December 10
WN 1716
Depart RNO 6:30am
Arrive LAS 7:40am

We got to the airport at about 5:00am for my 6:30 flight. Checked in two bags and got a boarding pass for group A. I said bye to my dad and then wnet to security. I got stopped and searched, for the 3rd time in the last three times I've flown. The searcher told me that if I took off my belt before I go through the metal detectors I wouldn't get searched. I proceeded to gate B3 and got an iced chai tea at Ritazza (used to be Starbucks) and picked up a Maxim magazine. Boarding started at 6 and I took my window seat. We took off a little bit late, I forgot the reason why. Flight was uneventful, coffee and orange juice were served along with snack mix. We got into LAS about 10 minute past the scheduled arrival time of 7:40. It was a good first flight with Southwest and I will probably consider them in the future on short flights.

NW 1196
Depart LAS 9:00am
Arrive DTW 3:57pm

I had to rush to go claim my bags and check in at Northwest. Once I claimed my three rolling suitcases (two I checked and one was carryon) I bought a SmartCart and went to the Northwest ticket counter. I checked and and recieved my boarding card and then headed for gate D9. My scheduled seat was 41A and I went to the gate agent to see if there was a window seat that wasnt in the very last row but she said the flight was booked solid. Oh well. We boarded at 8:30 and I took my seat in the back of the 757. I sat next to this old guy who lived in Detroit and was returning from a trip to Vegas. We talked for a while. We were served several rounds of drinks and Spinzels (twisted pretzel sticks), not much for almost a 4 hour flight. Got into DTW on time. Flight was uneventful.

NW 1584
Depart DTW 7:07pm
Arrive JAX 9:20pm

During my layover (which was supposed to be 3 hours, turned into 5) I explored the brand new Northwest WorldGateway terminal end to end. The moving sidewalks were helpful, I also used the tram. I was very hungry so I had a Chicago style deepdish personal pan pizza and salad at Pizza Papallis. It was good. Then I went to my gate (57 I think). It said Jacksonville, FL on the screen so I started reading a magazine. Then I looked up and it had changed to Albany. So I checked the departure screens and the new gate for my flight was gate 60 and my flight was also delayed until 7:50. I went to the new gate and asked the agent what was wrong. He didnt know, he said he had just got there. There was no plane at the gate either. After I while I asked him and he said there was lots of fog in Jacksonville and that they were waiting for a plane from Memphis. We were delayed another hour till 8:45 and finally boarded at 9. I had seat 14A. The plane sat on the ground till 9:30. The plane went dark during that time. The pilot explained something about the airports auxiliary power source not working so would have to use the planes power source so thats why. then we started taxiing. The pilot came on the intercom and said that there was lots of fog in JAX and there landing lights werent working like they should for the weather so it was a technicality thing, but the pilot could land the plane. I was just glad to depart. Most everyone slept on the plane, we were served drinks and spinzels again. The fog was so heavy in Jacksonville I did not even know we were landing until we were on the runway, I couldnt see a thing. We finally docked at the gate at 11:45pm. My uncle was there to pick me up and we went to claim my bags.

I had a good time, I also got to go to Disney World which I wasnt expecting, it was a surprise trip from my aunts.

Saturday January 5
NW 1029
Depart JAX 5:50pm
Arrive MSP 8:01pm

We got the airport at about 3:30. There was a huge line, probably everyone going home from the Gator Bowl. I checked in and me, my Grandma and my uncle went to the courtyard and sat down and got some Starbucks. I went thru security at about 5:20 and immediately boarded the plane. I had asked for a window seat on the Northwest reservations hotline and I got them on the way to JAX but apparently not on the way back. Thankfully, a girl that had the window traded with me. So instead of 14C, I got 14A. We took off a little after sunset so the sky was nice. We were served drinks and spinzels again. We got into MSP on time and it was a good flight.

NW 711
Depart MSP 9:55pm
Arrive LAS 11:16

I went to look around MSP, it was huge, but deserted, especially around the A gates. I was kind of hungry but decided I could wait till LAS and spend my time looking around the airport. The Packers-Falcons game was on TV around the airport. Several of the moving walkways were not working. I went to my gate at around 9:30 and we started boarding. I got seat 20D. I sat next to a couple from Minneapolis on their way to Las Vegas for a pleasure trip. They didnt want to trade for the window seat but oh well. Throughout the whole flight there was a kid behind me, probably about 15, traveling alone. He was kicking my seat and making noise. He just wanted attention while everyone was trying to sleep. He would sing songs out loud and make stupid comments when the lights went out. Finally when we were about to land, a kid sitting across the aisle from him shouted out loud for him to shut up, they had a shouting match and he pressed the FA button and she came and listened to his story, but didnt say anything, the kid didnt say anything for the rest of the flight. Drinks and spinzels were served as well, I asked for 2 packs of spinzels. We landed in LAS on time and I went to claim my bags. I bought a SmartCart again and prepared for the 7 hours I would wait in the fairly deserted airport until I departed to RNO. First priority was food. However the only thing open that I didnt have to go thru security to get to was this Nascar themed bar. I went in and he asked if I was 21 and I said no. He said he couldnt serve anyone under 21 so I said left. I asked the information desk several times but they said the only thing open was the bar. I bought to bags of pretzels at a book store and then went back to the bar to plead my case to the lone bartender that I had to be in the airport for a long time. He sold me a premade sandwich, chips and drink but I had to eat it outside the establishment. I ate the food and then read the Florida Times Union from Jacksonville. I wondered around all that I could without going through security. Staying the night in the Las Vegas airport was definitly an experience, I didnt sleep at all, but there were several people sacked out.

Sunday January 5
WN 1314
Depart LAS 6:15
Arrive RNO 7:25

I checked in at Southwest when the ticket counter opened at 4am and took the tram to gate C12. I had a Cinnabon while I waited for my departure. On the television monitor at the gate, there was an infomercial for a size enhancing product for men, several people were laughing over that. We boarded at 5:50. This plane was pretty old, had the brown interior and the bulkhead seats facing backwards. We took off into the Las Vegas sunrise. Coffee and OJ was served, most everyone was asleep though. We landed in RNO on time and a few people got off, including me. Most were continuing on to Oakland.

Overall I liked the two airlines I flew. The flights were uneventful with nothing bad but nothing to rave about either. I would definitly fly them again. DTW, LAS and MSP were all nice big airports. Thanks for reading.
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2000 3:46 am


Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:36 am

Nice report, I enjoyed reading them


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 7seven7nz, azstar, TTraider95 and 1 guest

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos