UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

LHR A.net Meeting - 12th &nd 13th July

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:17 pm

Here it is guys, sorry for the wait but I wanted to illustrate it with our pics  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

One month ago, fellow CMF spotter and a.net photographer 707cmf told me about of a a.net gathering at LHR for the July 12th/13th weekend.
707cmf getting out of his aircraft :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

So as you probably know by now because of the thread that was started in the photographer forum, I broke my piggy bank and searched through my girlfriend’s purse in order to find the funding for a DUB-LHR return ticket. I first thought flying a low-cost carrier such as FR, but after surveying the different websites BA, EI, BD and FR, it appeared that EI had the lowest fare, 81 Euro . However, flying that fare meant I had to take the first flight in the morning departing at 6:40 AM.

So I woke up at 5 o’clock on Saturday morning, and by the time I arrived at the airport, there already was a huge crowd waiting at the check-in desks. I somehow managed to get a window seat, but it was in 29A, not far from the last row, which meant that all my window shots were bad enough to get rejected.

I shot a couple of EI aircraft while waiting for boarding time :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

The aircraft was EI-CPG, my first time on an Aer Lingus A321.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Willmott-Sharp

As usual on EI, my requests for a jumpseat were in vain, and had to enjoy the 50 minute flight from my seat in the back. There was a drinks service, but pretty basic; coffee, tea and orange juice. However, I did manage to find out where the extra safety cards were stored, and while the flight attendants were busy, I removed a a few of them. Brand new – great for future trades.

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

The usual heavy traffic at LHR meant we were on a holding pattern for about fifteen minutes (in which I missed an air-to-air shot of an SK MD-90, but at least it gave us a nice tour of the London landmarks and the suburbs.

Upon my (late) arrival, I tried to find out if the Belgians’ flight had been in the same predicament. It turned out that their flight had in fact arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule. I tried to find them, but they were nowhere to be seen. As I hadn’t written down the directions to the runways, I got out my laptop and WiFi card and connected myself to a..net , looking for the forum thread and posting a new one in the process. I then made my way towards the central bus station, but instead of taking bus#285 like I should have, I boarded bus#H30, which goes all the way round the airport (and LHR is indeed large).
I got out at Hatton Cross Station, made my way to the spotting area where you can shoot aircraft landing on 27L. The Belgians (Apuneger, Sabena 690, Turbotrent) were pretty easy to find, and we were soon shooting away :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Just before lunchtime, Ikarus and Shamrock_747 arrived. As we knew Sabena332, Ndbele and 707cmf were all due on LH flights, we decided to shoot everything that was LH
As we didn’t want to miss any aircraft, Ikarus and Shamrock_747 had a nice time going to the nearby service station and getting what everyone had ordered for lunch. I had a bacon and egg sandwich, chips and a Coke…and it seemed that every interesting aircraft came in when I had my hands full !

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Due to noise regulations, at 3 o’clock PM the active landing runway at LHR changes from 27L to 27R.
(if winds dictate a 27 landing of course). So we packed everything up and started to make our way towards the 27R spotting area, stopping enroute for drinks at the aforementioned gas station.

27R threshold is quite close to the BA maintenance area, and Shamrock_747 thought it would be a good idea to wait near the barrier (yes, the taxiway that leads to it crosses a normal road !)in case the evening Concorde flight had not yet gone through (it’s supposed to be ferried over to the terminal between 3:30 and 4:00 PM). So we waited in the shade of an SAA 747-344, while a lot of interesting aircraft were landing 27R : KE 744F, VS 343, RJ 313, etc… After a while, Ikarus decided to walk around the BA maintenance area to see if any Concordes had indeed moved. When he returned, it appeared to him that Concorde had already gone through, so we made our way to the roundabout at runway 27R threshold and shot some more pictures.

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

After a short while, we heard the siren indicating the taxiway barriers were closing ! Concorde had not yet gone through ! We raced towards the barrier in order to make it to the right side on time (remember, the sun !), which was pretty risky for me as I left my Dynax 5 and the bag that had my laptop in full view. Oh well… There was a police car surveying operations, but they let people approach the barrier and shoot pictures, which we were all happy to do (Note : I shot a full roll of Provia 100 on this shot – trades anyone ?)

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

After Concorde had gone through we returned to the roundabout, shooting an aircraft now and then while we waited for the Concorde to show up. Unfortunately I don’t have any pics of the landing Concorde uploaded yet as I only shot it on slide film (Digital ? Blah !)
After Concorde had landed we went to the bus stop to take the bus to the 09L area to shoot Concode taking off at 7 PM. As we were waiting, the siren sounded again, this time it was a 747-436 going though. I waited for her to be parked to get a couple of shots, so I crossed the road…and that’s when the bus arrived. Oh well, at least the shot got accepted :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

I waited a long time for the right bus to appear, and I still had to change buses in order to get to the 09L spot in order to shoot Concorde taking off. However, when I reached the connecting station, the a.net photographers were still waiting for the bus ! Few and far between…anyway, we got to the spot after walking what seemed like an eternity. We waited for a pretty long time for Concorde to take off, and when he finally did, guess what ? my camera batteries were dead ! Aaaargh !
Then we took the bus to the Renaissance Hotel, where Ndbele, Sabena332 and 707cmf were supposed to be waiting.
We met up with 707cmf as planned while Sabena332 was having a (lot of) beer(s) at the hotel bar. The Belgians went to their hotel to grab a shower, and I went with 707cmf, Ikarus and Shamrock_747 to dinner at the nearby McDonalds (typical English cuisine).

When we returned to the Renaissance Hotel the others were all at Ndbele’s room watching the show :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ivan Coninx
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ivan Coninx

I must say, that hotel is really tops, it’s a pity that no more airside rooms were available 
When night fell and we couldn’t see anything anymore, I powered my laptop in order to show to the othersthe pictures of 707cmf and myself (and they got a few laughs with my stupid pictures where I tilted the camera on approach shots  Big grin
I then went to the bar with 707cmf, Sabena332 and the Belgians to have a beer, while the Englishmen headed back home. Then we (Belgians + CMF Spotters) made our way to the Hotel Ibis while Sabena332 was running up a huge tab and the bar – more on this later.
The Ibis was supposed to be at a 5 minutes walk according to Apuneger, but it was more like 15 minuts to me. Anyways, we got there at around 11 PM, checked in our rooms, GF for CMF spotters and 3rd fr the Belgians.
Our room has two single beds that were together, and as I’m not gay, I started pushing them as far away as possible (and what’s more, 707cmf snores like a motherf…) and broke (tore off the wall was more like it) the thing that served as a bedside table.
707cmf asked to put his pics of the day on my computer as all his memory cards were full. After the transfer finished, I started preparing them with Photoshop while he had a shower. Then all of a sudden, I got the BSOD on my computer, and I had to reboot. When it started up again, my GF’s login and Guest login were gone, and the computer was like the first day I got it – Windows and programs, but no personal files or personalized settings. Now 707cmf and I are both working in IT (and 707cmf is an engineer to boot), and we came to the conclusion that a virus (midnight on the 13th ?) ha deleted the registry.
While 707cmf was desperately trying to retrieve his pics (and cursing a lot in the process), I tried to go to sleep. He didn’t manage to retrieve anything, but I was luckier as I had done a backup on my USB key earlier that day. So ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZz.

After breakfast with the Belgians, I tried a desperate move – system restore – which worked for me, but definitely erased what was left of 707cmf’s pics (of course, he bitched about it during the whole of breakfast). After that, the Belgians went directly to runway 09L threshold while 707cmf and I went to pick up Sabena332. It looked like he had a pretty good hangover (sunglasses at 9:00 in the morning heheh), and it turned out he had run up a tab of more than €100 at the bar !
Anyways, we bought sandwiches at a service station and waited for the 81 bus to 09L. After a while, it appeared that we were waiting at he wrong bus stop. We went to the newt one, and by that time we were getting impatient. So 707cmf tried to phone a cab company by calling the general Enquiries number; when asked me for it, I told him it was 999  Laugh out loud Guess what ? he actually called the number ! Great fun while u wait…we finally rang up for a cab to pick us up, but the bus arrived soon after that, so we rode the bus instead. After walking 10 minutes, we rejoined the others and shot pics until 2:30 PM :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

At 2:30 we said goodbye to the Belgians and headed for the bus stop. When it appeared that no bus was coming anytime soon (Sunday), we got a cab to the terminal. I left 707cmf and Sabena332 and went to Terminal 1 to check in for the return DUB flight. I managed to shoot a coupleof shots from the terminal before boarding the flight.
I got 11F this time, straight on the overwing exits ( no wing shots there either).
Aircraft was EI-CVA, that had already flown on for a DUB to CDG flight :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

The flight was uneventful, with the same cheap drinks service :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

When we arrived at DUB the weather was awful but I snapped pics all the same.
So there it was – a pretty good weekend with great aircraft and great people…hope to see all of you again in AM), Netherlands">AMS later this year !

Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Ikarus

RE: LHR A.net Meeting - 12th &nd 13th July

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:53 pm

Nice report!

Pity you had computer problems...

And, on the Concorde takeoff: Once again I failed to get good pictures - there's one, maybe, that looks half-decent, while it's still far away, but it's still too fast for me....

Sabena332

Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:43 am

Hi William,

this is a very nice and entertaining report as well as very good pictures. The meeting was one of the best I ever had because we had a lot of fun, I am looking really forward to the next one!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Sabena 690

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:52 pm

Hey CMF Bastarde...euh...William  Big grin

Very nice report! Apparently not only the Germans can write good TR's! Big grin

It was nice to meet you, together with all the others!

Regards
Frederic

Ikarus

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:49 pm

Ahhh, but vee are more effizient and faster zan zee froggie french at writing gut trip reports!  Big grin

airsicknessbag

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:54 pm

>>>The meeting was one of the best I ever had because we had a lot of fun.

Hehe, knowing Patrick, you have to substitute "fun" with "beers". Then the sentence makes sense.  Laugh out loud

Daniel Smile

Sabena332

Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:11 pm

Hehe, knowing Patrick, you have to substitute "fun" with "beers". Then the sentence makes sense.

Of course we had also fun outsite the bar, I remember a very funny conversation between William and the taxi driver, it was something like this:

Taxi driver: "Where are you guys from?"
William: "Elbonia"
Taxi driver: "Where is that country?"
William: "Between Switzerland and France"
Taxi driver: "And now you are flying back to Elbonia?"
William: "Yes, first to Dublin with Aer Lingus and from there to the capital of Elbonia, the flight via Dublin is cheaper than nonstop from London to the Elbonian capital"
Taxi driver: "I see"

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Sabena 690

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:20 pm

Patrick - ROFLMAO!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Regards
Frederic

707CMF

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:35 am

Well, actually, William said something about LHR-DUB-(whatever the IATA code for Elbonian intl) was on an Elbonian Airways ticket, the LHR-DUB leg being code-shared between Elbonian Airways and Aer Lingus... go figure...

Antoine

Sabena332

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:56 am

Thanks Antoine, I couldn`t remember correct because of my hangover (from one small beer on the night before Big grin) and the damn hot temperatures on that day.

Patrick

teahan

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:09 am

Sounds like ye all had a brilliant time.

BTW I'm wondering if Patrick or Frederic take any pictures?

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:28 pm

11 pics of LHR accepted...and counting  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
For the Brits :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

For the Belgians  Laugh out loud :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Sabena 690

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:41 pm

Teahan: I take a few pics, Ivan is the digital canon with more than 7000 pictures on one week I guess?

CMF bastarde...euh spotter: I hate you! Big grin

Regards
Frederic

707CMF

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:57 pm

Well, he is not a CMF batard, now, he's a DUB batard !

And yes, I hate him too, vieille pute de William

Antoine

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:41 pm

707cmf, you still mad about these ?  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

hey you get all the jumpseats  Smile

airsicknessbag

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:47 pm

Question to the people of Elbonia:

Do you have diplomatic relations with Pazzivani? An acquaintance of mine set up his own mini-state with that name, consisting of a bench in a Turin park.

He wrote a letter of secession to the Italian government, plus one to the UN asking to be accepted as a member. He got checked out by two friendly policemen shortly afterwards, but that was it.

Don´t know if Pazzivani still exists, the Act of Secession was passed years ago - he might have got bored with independence and re-joined Italy...

Daniel Smile

apuneger

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:53 pm

Hi,

Nice trip report, William! Very detailed indeed. Nice pics as well! Too bad Antoine's pics got deleted  Sad

Anyway, my pics will be uploaded soon, you'll see  Wink/being sarcastic

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:57 pm

Antoine still has his pics from Sunday, but he is presently busy uploading single-engine props and ventilators  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

Shamrock_747

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:03 pm

Great report William. It's a shame about Antoine's pics from Saturday being deleted, but at least one of the Elbonian Airways fleet (F-BLGA) has finally been uploaded!

Declan

707CMF

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:52 pm

Yeah, shame on Will...

I'll try to post my report during the week, when the relevant pictures are accepted in the db...

Oh, by the way, behind the Elbonian Airways, you can see my car... (the piece of crap that's costing me $$$$ these days)

Antoine

707CMF

Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:51 am

And thinking of it, I actually have better things to do than uploading London pictures...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

As you can see, I was busy flying  Smile/happy/getting dizzy (and if you look at the radio frequencies, you'll see that it was an interesting flight...)

Antoine

Delboy

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:21 pm

Had a laugh at the report, nice and light.

But you let yourself down badly by admitting to thieving aircraft safety cards and encouraging someone to dial 999. This may be considered 'cool' where you are but really it's not.

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:52 pm

"stealing" safety cards - come on ! these were backup cards anyway.
Dialing 999 - 707cmf has lived for ten years in the UK, I figured he would heve known the emergency number by then  Laugh out loud (NOT !)

Delboy

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:53 am

Back up cards or not. Did they belong to you in the first place? Were you invited to take one? Did you just help yourself when no-one was looking? Sorry pal, it's theft. Let's not waste readers time debating this point.

I didn't realise 707 had lived here for 10 years, so he has no real excuse has he? Boy has he got big problems!

All that said, did like the style and pace of the report, nice smattering of pictures.

Sabena 690

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:30 am

Delboy, about the safeties: I understand where you are coming from, but it is also a tradition of me to keep, together with all the logs of my flights (registration of the aircraft, eta, etd, boarding passes etc), also a safetycard.

I took one for me every time, and one for another collector.

Can you call this theft? In theory maybe yes, but there is still a difference with 'stealing' a safetycard (of which there is always a stock on board), and really steal something.

I know safetycard collectors with more than 1500 different cards in their collection, can you call them thieves, do you want to see them in jail?

A week ago, I flew on the Aer Lingus A330 2 times. 2 times I took my headsets and my safetycard away. Also on my other 8 flights a week ago, I took my safetycard away. Am I a thief now?

Regards
Frederic

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:23 pm

...let's not start a "safety card" debate, I guess that there as many opininons on this matter as there are safety cards in an aircraft  Smile
Anyway, it was nice to see that you like the report, thanks a million !
next, AMS (hopefully)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

707CMF

Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:03 pm

I didn't realise 707 had lived here for 10 years, so he has no real excuse has he? Boy has he got big problems!

I indeed have a few problems. But I did not live in the UK for 10 years (rather for 1.5)

And 999 is emergency number only in UK. Here in France, 999 will be the customer service number for your Cellphone on SFR...

I guess that there as many opininons on this matter as there are safety cards in an aircraft

If that aircraft is an Airlinair ATR72, that's not a lot of opinions... and even less after my flight !

Antoine

Sabena 690

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:41 pm

If that aircraft is an Airlinair ATR72, that's not a lot of opinions... and even less after my flight !

LOL! Big grin

Regards
Frederic

Sabena 690

Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:19 am

William, how do you dare! Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

PS: read the caption  Big grin

Shamrock_747

Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 am

How could we forget the BA 757 that did a steep dive towards 27L and then a go around!

In all the excitment William was the only photographer who managed to keep his camera level and take a photo showing the true angle of the aircraft  Smile

Declan

Sabena332

Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:20 am

Congratulations William, great photo!

By the way, after reading your report again I realized that you, Antoine and the Belgium guys stayed at the same hotel. Thanks a lot to you and Antoine for making a big detour via the Renaissance hotel to pick me up instead of going direct to the rwy 09 spot with the Belgians.

Patrick

Ikarus

Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:32 am

Congrats on the photo!

Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Sabena 690

Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:39 am

Patrick: the only reason we did not join Antoine to pick you up was because we first wanted to buy some food in the BP at Hatton Cross!

There we took bus H30 to Waterside...

Regards
Frederic

707CMF

Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:40 pm

There we took bus H30 to Waterside

Yeah, we took that one too...

No, wait ! for us, the H30 was the waiting time ! 30 minutes before we catch a bus !!!!

Antoine

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:58 pm

Apparently thses BA757's that are so common can make good pics if shot properly  Laugh out loud
By the way, 707cmf forgot to tell you, but since yesterday he is officially a pilot as he has scored 100% on his written PPL test  Smile

apuneger

Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:14 am

By the way, 707cmf forgot to tell you, but since yesterday he is officially a pilot as he has scored 100% on his written PPL test

Yeah, I noticed it in the Tech/Ops forum. Congratulations once again, Antoine! So, it won't take long now before Elbonian Airlines will commence operations I guess. Will they fly CMF-BRUBig grin

Ivan

Sabena 690

Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:47 pm

Congratulations, Antoine! Big grin

So from now, when there is another a.net meeting, you are going to fly us all over to LHR?  Big grin

Regards
Frederic

apuneger

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:03 pm

You see, Antoine: you'd better pass your practical examination as well, mate! Big grin

Ivan

707CMF

Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:56 pm

Wow... CMF-BRU is quite a long route, and cannot be flown nonsotp !

As for BRU-DUB-LHR, I'll have to check, but I guess some of those airports are in class A airspace !

Anyway, you'll get to fly Elbonian Airways if you come to CMF, but be warned, the IFE is terrible (you have to biring your own food, no PTV) - however, every seat qualifies as a jumpseat  Wink/being sarcastic

Antoine

apuneger

Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:27 pm

every seat qualifies as a jumpseat

Fair enough Big grin

Ivan