Billy
Topic Author

AY SIN-BKK On OX L10

Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:40 pm

AY 098
HS-UTE L10-11 - type unknown.

AY were late into BKK so subbed in a Thai Oriental L10-11. I was in J, so they put me in the first row of the Tri-Star. Seats were the old F-class; wide, slab-sided seats with little recline. Blue leather in F/J with blue cloth in Y.

Big galley area in the front but with no housing for the meal carts. This permitted the carts to fly about the front galley area, especially on landing at BKK.

Heavy dark wood veneer on bulkheads and galley area, and cream sidewalls. It makes you realise what we used to appreciate as modern. The meal carts were logo-ed with Rich International badges.

Crew were totally incompetent and I would be very nervous about their abilities in emergencies. Cockpit crew seemed to be American.

We flew at 38,000 ft for most of the flight but still managed to hit some medium to heavy chop oin the 1hr 50 minute sector.

The aircraft is painted in the BA-style Thai flag colours, but they have added rather syalised swirly script for the airline titles. These titles do not seem to grace the 747s in the same way.

Anybody know the type of L10 and the heritage of this plane, I would be interested to know.

Finally got onto OH-LGC at BKK. Very nice blue tones in J. Sreats are the regular J-class with good but not lie-flat recline.

Incidentally, I routed via ARN and noticed three TransJet 742s. It seemd as if they had not flown for a good while. ANy feedback on the reason why they seem to have been dumped in ARN?

I did not expect to find myself on an L10 in 2003. My laswt trip on one of those machines was back in 1996 on BWIA from LHR.

gkirk

RE: AY SIN-BKK On OX L10

Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:17 pm

Nice report.
The Transjet 742s have probably been sitting there for over a year now, since Transjet went out of business.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aussie_

Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:12 pm

I would have been in heaven. Getting a Lockheed Tristar (never flown one) instead of the AY MD11. Some people have all the luck!

DL_Mech

Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:33 am

From the flytristar site:
Orient Thai Airlines took delivery of former Delta Air Lines L-1011-1 N730DA (msn 1199) on September 11th. Its ferry flight routing was Roswell - Honolulu - Midway Islands - Bangkok, which took nine days. The aircraft received its new registration HS-UTE on September 20th and is scheduled to enter service in October. The fast-paced Thai airline will also purchase N1732D (msn 1213) from the same source. They are also looking for Boeing 757s and 737s to start low-fare services.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeff Bigelow

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.