alexchao

ATL-LAX On DL Economy

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:31 am

Delta Air Lines DL 1961
Boeing 767-300ER (Registration: N191DN)
Atlanta, GA, USA (ATL) to Los Angeles, CA, USA (LAX)
April 3, 2004
Seat: 30B (Economy/Aisle/Zone 8)
Gate: E09 (Concourse E)

Scheduled Departure: 04/03 10:00 PM
Actual Departure: 04/03 10:54 PM
Scheduled Arrival: 04/03 11:52 PM
Actual Arrival: 04/04 12:45 AM
Scheduled Flight Time: 4:52
Actual Flight Time: 4:51

Earlier in the afternoon, I received a text message notifying me that my flight would be delayed an hour. So, my friends and I decided to finish the NCAA Final Four game between Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State before dropping me off at the airport. At 9:15 PM, while we were eating at a fast-food restaurant, I received another text message notifying me that my flight would depart on-time. My plane was leaving in 45 minutes, and I still needed to go to the airport and check-in. After making a few wrong turns, my friends were able to get me to the terminal at 10 PM. We thought I had missed the flight, but when I checked the monitors, my flight was still delayed an hour. For some odd reason, Delta decided to send me erroneous flight information. I was quite disappointed as a first-time passenger on Delta.

I checked-in using the kiosk, and I dropped the bag at the counter. There was no line and no hassle. I said my good-byes, and I proceeded to the TSA security check-point. The line was short, and I passed through the detectors without any problems. I hopped on the train to Concourse E.

Boarding had not commenced when I arrived at the gate. Being Zone 8, I waited quite a while before I was welcomed aboard the aircraft. When I finally boarded, I got a good look at the BusinessElite seats, and they remind me of China Airlines' Dynasty Class. The flight was packed with what seemed like a full Economy Class and only two seats remaining in BusinessElite. The Economy section on the flight was in a 2-3-2 abreast configuration, and from what I heard, the seat pitch is about 31"-32".

After we pushed back, the safety demonstration video was played. The lights were dimmed, and we departed into the midnight sky. Once we were in the air, the lights remained off, and the flight attendants came around selling $2 headsets. Big Fish was to be played on this flight. A while later, the flight attendants pushed out the beverage carts and served drinks in the dark. I was given a cup of orange juice and a bag of snack mix. The snack mix was really good and didn't only include pretzels.

I passed out after the flight attendants collected my empty cup. When I woke up, we had already begun our descent into LAX. I was half-awake when we landed. The landing was probably the smoothest of all my flights. I barely felt the gear touch the ground. When I entered the baggage claim area, my bag was already circling the carousel.

I enjoyed my first flight on Delta. The seats were a little cramped, but I still slept well. However, if only Delta would notify me with the correct flight information, I'd be even happier.

-alexchao

unmlobo

RE: ATL-LAX On DL Economy

Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:56 pm

Yes Delta's 767's are a little cramped in economy class in my opinion. I couldn't fall asleep at first on them but I learned to when I had four of them on my trip from PDX-MAD and BCN-PDX when I went with a bunch of kids and a teacher from my high school that were all taking Spanish. That was back in 2002, fun trip. Glad to you hear you had a smooth flight.
The views expressed do not necessarily represent those of Southwest Airlines its Directors or its Employees

A330Fan1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:42 pm

Nice trip report Alexchao

u must've been scared and worried as hell when Delta sent u the message that your flight was on time!

seems like you had a good flight, probably felt really fast - as u said u were asleep the whole time!

-A330Fan1

COAB767

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:48 pm

Great report. I havent flown Delta since 1987.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

9V-SPJ

Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:01 am

Hi Alex,
I love flying the 10pm flight because I can finish all my work at GATech and then head off to the airport. I just flew DL263 which is a 1445 departure. Its a nice flight, but you can't beat the traffic in LA at about 1630! Oh well, nice report!

9V-SPJ

alexchao

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:36 am

A330Fan1,
I was actually pretty calm when I found out that I might miss my flight. I was ready to negotiate with Delta on rearranging a new flight for me. Hahaha. But I definitely didn't want to fork out any money to change my flight.

9V-SPJ,
When I got to LAX, it was deserted. I've never seen LAX so empty. Of course, it was 1 in the morning!

-alexchao