Reedyreed
Topic Author

Flying The Big Classic Props Today!

Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:18 am

The big props & round engine sounds are pretty much long gone from airports today. But here in Toms River NJ we here at the RJ Miller Airpark,& members of the BAHF,keep a classic big prop transport,the Douglas C-54 500EJ in pristine flying condition,to attend airshows & special events around the country as a flying museum exibit of the 1948/49 Berlin Airlift History. I have been part of the flightcrew now for about 10yrs performing crew chief & loadmaster duties & all kinds of maintenance it takes to keep the old girl flying. It truly is the best way to see the USA & meet all the wounderful folks when landing at all the different cities. It is always a pleasure & happy moment for me when I land with the Douglas DC-4/C-54 & the crew & open the cargo door & meet all the folks who give us support & come out & see the "Spirit Of Freedom" Back in 1998 we flew HER across the North Atlantic to BERLIN for a 70 day tour of EUROPE & various airshows there. We flew the northern route & just happen to spend my birthday in Iceland & a little party to enjoy the day! We flew over about 7000ft & looking down & seeing iceburgs & the Ice caps over Greenland was quite a site to behold. It was a dream come true, to fly the great Atlantic in a big prop transport of yesterday! Now I can't wait untill we get our other big prop transport,the Boeing C-97G STRAT back into the skies again & see hear the sites & sounds of those big P&W 4360's turning once again! We welcome all folks who want an adventure & relive the big props Era of yesteryear.See us at www.spiritoffreedom.org Thanks, JR