usflyer msp
Topic Author
Posts: 2702
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am


Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:54 pm

On June 4th, my favourite cousin graduated from high school in Richland, WA. On May 19, I decided that I would attempt to attend the festivities in his honour. I searched the internet and was finally able to locate a fare of $297 on which was booked on May 25th. Below is my trip report about the trip, which include my first EMB-120, B777, and 737-500 flights.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2004
UA 0836
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) to Chicago/O’Hare (ORD)
Seat: 10F (right side, exit row window)
Departs: 2:00PM Gate: E10
Arrives: 3:28PM Gate: B4

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Turner

I began this trip by hopping on the #84 bus, which got me to MSP very early at 10:35AM. I had decided to arrive at the airport quite early in order to change my seats to exit rows or Economy Plus. The queue at the check-in counter was quite long, so I decided to check-in using the Easy-Check-In machine and have my seats changed at the gate. I then proceeded to clear security at Checkpoint #4, where there was no queue. I went to gate E8 to have my seats changed. The agent there was very nice and friendly and promptly changed my seats to exit rows to Seattle and offered to change my seats all the way to Pasco, but I told her not to bother. I then left the airport for the Mall of America to finish my Graduation present shopping.

I returned to MSP at 1:15PM, cleared security again using the Skyway security checkpoint. I took the tram to the end of concourse C (I didn’t get stuck like the last time I took a tram at MSP) and walked over to gate E10 just as the called Seating #2, which I was a part of. I walked down the jetway to find a very cheerful Philadelphia based crew greeting me. I made my way to seat 10F, stored my carry-on baggage and was seated. This 737 had the basic old United interior, with the dated sidewalls, old grey, blue, purple and orange print seats. This flight was 100% full, with quite a few nonrev’s. We pushed back a few minutes early at 1:57PM. The announced flying time was 49 minutes. After a short taxi, we took off to the south east from runway 12L. We had a relatively quite ascent to 24,000 feet. Once we passed 10,000 feet the FA’s began their service, offering the usual assortment of drinks and snacks. After ~ 35 minutes of flight we began our descent into Chicago. We touched down on runway 9R at 3:03PM. We passed Terminal 5 and saw the usual assortment of heavies there, including an IB A340, BD A332, LX A330, AZ 767, SK A330, and an LH744 among others. Since we arrived so early, our gat was occupied. We had to wait on a deicing pad for ~10 minutes before our gate opened up. We docked at gate B4 and 3:18PM.

Transit: Chicago O’Hare International Airport

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Chambers

Upon deplaning, I decided to explore Chicago O’Hare a bit as I had a 1 hour and 22 minute connection. In addition, I was hungry and nothing in the UA terminal really appealed to me. I walked over to Terminal Two to see what was on offer, but it really was no better. I did notice how unorganized the United Express operations were in Terminal Two, with planes strewn all over the tarmac and passengers strewn all over the terminal. It reminded me a lot of the old Midway terminal where there was never anywhere to sit. I addition there seemed to be a higher than usual amount of cancellations and thus irate passengers abounded. I then proceeded to Terminal Three, but the offerings were no better. I did not how much more organized the AA Eagle operations were compared to UA Express. Each Eagle plane had its own gate and jetway. Overall, however, United facilites in Terminal One are much nicer than AA’s in Terminal Three. By the time I finished exploring, it was 4:15PM and I motored back to Terminal One for my connection. I ended up grabbing a plate of Orange Chicken from Panda Express before I headed to C9 for my flight to Seattle. I arrived just as the agent announced the final call at 4:30PM.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2004
UA 0949
Chicago/O’Hare (ORD) to Seattle/Tacoma (SEA)
B767-300 (domestic) N673UA
Seat: 21A (left side, 2nd exit row window)
Departs: 4:50PM Gate: C9
Arrives: 7:09PM Gate: N9

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Arcellana

Upon boarding, I was greeted and directed to my seat by a member of the Chicago and Seattle based flight crew. I was struck by how cramped the First Class cabin looked as I passed through it; I think my exit row in Economy was far superior. This 767 had the new United interior with the bluish-green fabric and winged headrests. This flight was also 100% full with a few nonrev’s. We pushed back on time and the FA’s played the safety video. I found the safety video interesting because I think it was wrong. It told the passengers to inflate their life vests before the left the plane, while I have always been told to inflate it afterwards, because otherwise you will be pinned to the top of the cabin if it fills with water. Does anyone know who is right?

After push back, the captain came on and gave the flight details including the routing and the flight time of 3:41 and told us he was turning on Channel 9, which I immediately tuned in to. We then slowly taxied to runway 14R and rotated at 5:03PM. After take off we made two sharp right turns to get us headed in the right direction. The flight attendants began their service ~ 20 minutes into the flight. This was a Buy on Board flight, so the FA’s handed out a Menu containing what was for sale (Au Bon Pain). They the came around with drinks and snack mix, followed shortly by the Buy on Board meals. My seatmate bought a BOB salad, it looked pretty good but I don’t know if it was worth $10 dollars. After this the Video entertainment began and I was forced to put down my window shade. The movie was Calendar Girls followed by NBC short programming which included an incredible amount of commercials. Around 6:30PM (PST), we began our descent into Sea-Tac. The view was beautiful, with water and mountains combining very picturesquely. We touched down at 6:53PM on runway 16L. Unfortunately, there was a 747-400 at our gate, so we had to wait for it to leave. We finally docked at Gate N9 at 7:05PM

Transit: Seattle/Tacoma International Airport

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

Seattle/Tacoma International Airport is a horrible place to Transit.  Sad Everything, except for Great American Bagels, in the North Satellite terminal was closed at 7:00PM. I decided to go to the other parts of the airport to see if there was anything to Eat, See, or Do, but alas, there was nothing. The food was horribly overpriced in the few restaurants there were. Almost everything was under construction and covered in plaster and soot. I thought it would have improved from when I was there two years ago, but it has not. This was one of the longest two hours of my life. I did manage to spot the 73G, but thatwas it for the unique spotting opportunities.After yacking on the phone for a bit, I re-cleared security at 8:15PM. I caught the train back out to the North Satellite Terminal.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2004
UA 6335 (operated by SkyWest)
Seattle/Tacoma (SEA) to Pasco/Richland/Kennewick (PSC)
EMB-120 Brasilia
Seat: 8A (left side, window and aisle)
Departs: 9:20PM Gate: N12
Arrives: 10:09PM Gate: 3

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen Fox

This plane arrived late from Portland at 9:00PM. It was quite beat up with paint peeling off of the nose and tail. Boarding began at 9:15PM. After, planeside checking my carry-ons, I was greeted at the door by the Portland based FA. She was not friendly at all unlike the rest of my crews that day. Some her antics include screaming at a passenger “No you don’t, that seat is only for me,” which might have been true but screaming at the passenger was inappropriate. Doors closed at 9:30PM. The FA did her safety demonstration and we taxied to runway 16L for takeoff. Rotation was at 9:36PM. After ~ 10 minutes the FA began her service consisting of drinks and SkyWest snack mix. The flight was short 37 minutes and we touched down on runway 21R at 10:13PM. After a quick taxi we deplaned at Gate 3 at 10:18PM.

General Observations:
UA: seems to be a very well run carrier with an excellent product and competent dedicated employees. 10/10

SkyWest: seems to be a well run carrier although the staff can be unprofessional at times.

MSP: home airport, one of the best in the world. 10/10
ORD: 8/10 runs amazingly smoothly despite the volume it gets. Could use better concessions and thorough renovation of Terminal Two. 8/10
SEA: 4/10 Hopefully will get better once renovations are done.
PSC: 10/10 small and easy to use
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:32 pm


Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:31 pm

Great report. Hope you enjoyed the trip.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"
User avatar
Posts: 2402
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:29 am


Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:09 am

You're right in your observation about ORD. I'd agree that United has better better mainline facilities (T1) than American (T3), but United Express' T2 operations are a disgrace. American Eagle's Concourse G is much, much nicer.
Posts: 12622
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm


Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:24 am

Come on, now. There's plenty of good food at ORD. (The food court in the H/K apex is my favorite). It's just so darn good that you have to know where to look.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 3:49 am


Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:59 pm

The video only mentions to "inflate the vest by pulling down on one of the red tabs. If additional flotation is necessary after you have left the aircraft, pull the second red tab." Flight attendants do make the announcement after the video has played that the vests should be inflated only once you have left the aircraft.

Great report!

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L
usflyer msp
Topic Author
Posts: 2702
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am


Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:13 am


the video distinctly showed one half of the vest inflating while they were in the aircraft and the FA's on my flight made no such announcement. I guess they just forgot.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cougar15, WAC and 29 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos