PHX757
Topic Author

PHX-MSP And MSP-PHX On HP

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:24 pm

So I decided once school was out I was going to go back to the good old Minnesota.

When figuring out dates I noticed as of 6/20 HP/Mesa operate a CRJ-900
Dep Phoenix at 7:35 AM and Arr MSP at 12:46 PM. I think this is the longest CRJ flight now - Way too long.

Flight Details -

America West
Monday, June 7, 2004
PHX - MSP
Flight # 757
Dep - 9:15 AM
Arr - 2:28 PM
Dep Gate - A27
Arr Gate - C9
Seat: 3C
First Class
Aircraft: 757-200

Sunday afternoon (day before) dropped my car off to get the A/C looked at (VERY important here in Arizona) and the Power steering pump needed to be replaced. I called my friend to tell him I would be in around 2:30 PM and went out for dinner. Went home and packed then tried catching some sleep.

So I basically didn't sleep at all the night before and got up around 6 AM to shower and get my bags in the car. Woke my sister up around 6:45 AM and drove to the airport (20 minute drive).

Arriving at the airport, it seemed a little crowded in Terminal 4 however I went over to the First Class check-in Kiosk and tried getting a window seat however there were none available so I got 3C which is perfect by me. I checked my 67 pound bag, and signed the golf club release thing and was on my way.

I then went upstairs to the security checkpoint A. It was packed! The line would have taken me 30-45 minutes to get through (I ran into a friend who waited in it in the gate area) but I was holding a First Class ticket, Elite and First Class line! Breezed though security (after a few bad looks from the TSA lady) Then I grabbed a bagel and some coffee before heading down to A27. This end of the A concourse was packed! All four gates in the area had flights leaving at the same time to Orlando, Chicago, New York, and Atlanta. I walked around looking for a seat and eventually gave up and sat on the floor by a cement post.

Around 8:45 AM a line of people (seemed never ending) started to from at the podium, they called First Class boarding and I skipped the line (again). Once onboard greeted by a another friendly America West F/A (always nice) I get to the first class cabin and there is this lady standing on the seat looking in the overhead bin I was like umm... ok? I guess she lost her phone (what a blonde... or is it those Scottsdale people? LOL)

Pre-flight Beverage :

Dr. Pepper (and a refill)

We pushed back a little late, this is usual in PHX it seems I am always waiting for a gate upon arrival of delayed departing because of aircrafts on the apron.

We waited for a Dash-8 to land and a Delta flight took off ahead of us. Then it was our turn, man I love the powerful take-offs on the 757!

In-Flight Beverage/Appetizer -
Dr. Pepper and First Class snack mix.

Movie - 50 First Dates

Lunch Choices -

-- or --

I opted for the Penne Pasta, which was wonderful.

Desert -

Apple cobbler

The F/A kept coming around refilling drinks throughout the duration of the flight, which was very nice.

We landed late around 2:40 PM and taxied to Gate C9.

Flight Ranks -

Plane - 8/10 (needs new interiors and Plasmas in the rows)
Service - 10/10 (Great America West Crew)
Food - 9/10 (Good food, but still airline food)

Overall - 27/30
Grade - A

---------------------------------------------------------

After spending 7 days in Minneapolis and 3 in Brainerd it was time to come home. I was originally scheduled on the 4:52 PM Departure, but we didn't get back to Minneapolis until 2AM and I thought what the heck Ill catch the 7: AM Flight.

So I called HP and they said First is wide open, and I said ok please put me on the stand-by list.

Flight Details

America West
Thursday, June 17, 2004
MSP - PHX
Flight # 756
dip - 7:45 AM
are - 9:18 AM
dip Gate - C16
are Gate - A11
Seat: 2A
First Class
Aircraft: 757-200

So I arrived at the Airport at 6:30 AM for my 7:45 AM flight and check-in my heavy bag and golf clubs. I went over to Security and it took about 10 minutes to get through and what do yah know? I get "Randomly Selected" for secondary screening... (this happened because I was flying Stand-By) so they wanted me down, hand searched my bag, and made me boot up my laptop, and cell phone. I was on my way, I was really surprised that HP had 3 aircrafts on the ground, 8PM Arrival from PHX (733_, 11 PM Arrival from PHX (752), and 6AM Arrival from LAS (320). The 8PM was at C9, 11 PM - C16, and the 6AM - C15. C15/16 are northwester Gates (how nice of them to let us use them huh?)

First Class boarding was called -

I was greeted by a friendly F/A and proceeded to the First Class cabin. Where there was a male F/A with a stuck-up attitude and had a problem with me sitting in First Class, so he looked at my boarding card and his paperwork and then said "fine, sit up here" in a rude voice - I was like um... I don't need this but shrugged and went on.

Pre-Beverage -

Orange Juice

We pushed early and waited for a few craft's in front of us to depart. After reaching cruise altitude the F/A came around asking for drink orders.

In-flight Beverage/App -

Water and First Class Nuts

Breakfast options -

-- or --

Since they didn't have the Waffles I had the Granola which looked like this -

The breakfast was ok, I found out I was seated next to an F/A who lives in MSP and works out of PHX and flies to work everyday! That would be the life!

She was routed
PHX - ATL
ATL - LAS
------Spent Night-----------
LAS - SJC- LAS - PHX
-------Spent Night----------
PHX-LAS-LAX-PHX
-------Standby Home-------

After breakfast I fell asleep for about 1 1/2 hours, then woke up upon decent into PHX.

We arrived early in PHX at 9:06 AM - Pulled into A11 and went to baggage claim very tired.

Flight Rating -

Plane - 7/10 Looked really worn.
Service - 2/10 He was a jackass.
Food - 5/10 Didn't have what I wanted.

Overall - 14/30

Grade 46% - F

It wasn't really the flight, food, or even aircraft, it was the rude F/A that ruined this flight for me. I wish I would have just taken the 4:52 dip. But it's all over now, and I am still a Happy HP Customer!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Doug Owens
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish/Cactus Wings

COAB767

RE: PHX-MSP And MSP-PHX On HP

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:59 am

great report, pics and details!!!
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

scottysair

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:55 am

Great report, pics & details.  Smile

av8rphx

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:27 am

Actually we(Mesa) started PHX-MSP service on 6/18 I believe. I take the PHX-MSP route quite often (non-rev to get home). I try to avoid our Mesa flight like the plague as a 3 hr flight on an RJ does not appeal to me. I have found it surprising lately that many of the PHX-MSP flights are overselling on a daily basis. I figured that the route would be less traveled in the summer due to the lack of snowbird traffic.

iowaman

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:17 pm

mmmmmm the breakfast waffle looks yummy! Smile

PHX757
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:22 pm

Yah they did... but they didn't have them! Made me mad. Since there was only 6 pax out of 14 in First.

-PHX757

PHX757
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 pm

Av8rPHX -

I know, I took a Mesa CR9 from SEA-PHX last January! It was horrible, the service, crew, and seats. ALL BAD!

Most of the flights to/from MSP have been full lately, I am non-revin in August back to MSP...I might have to book a ticket.

-PHX757

scottysair

Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:29 am

You were took on the CRJ-900 is not good and the seat was horrible. Why you don't need to take nonstop on NW.

PHX757
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:50 am

ScottysAir -

I used to live in MSP, and the only option for the most part was NWA. Although they have changed drastically over the last few years... I still prefer HP over them any day!

-PHX757

WidgetBoi

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 am

wonderful report!

jeremy