captain777

Kuwait-Cairo On Egypt Air (With Pictures)

Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:45 pm

Last Summer 2003 we decided to go to Egypt. Our first choice was Kuwait Airways but all flight to Cairo were full so we had to go with Egypt Air.

Airline: Egypt Air
Airplane : A300/A310
Airport: Kuwait Int Airport

We arrived at the airport early in the morning as the airports is quite busy this time of year. The check-in was very crowded so it took us some time to check-in !. After going through all the procedures we had some time left before boarding the airplane so we decided to sit in a cafe.

Boarding

We headed to the gate as it was time for boarding, we stopped at the security check point and we're finished in a few minutes. As we we reached the airplane entrance I gave the old Airbus a little pat on the back  Smile before boarding. We entered the airplane and it was crowded, people were already in there seats as we were a bit late. I placed my bag in the over head bin and sat down and buckled my self in.

Engine Start-up !!!

Every body was on board now and the doors were closed and secured. It was time for the Captain to start-up our engines before push back. So he did he started the first engine and then the second, but when the moving map was switched on all engines died ! , so the Captain turned of the moving map and started up the engines again, and when that was done he switched on the moving map on again... and guess what happened the engine died again. We went through this 2 more times until the Captain decided there is no need to switch on the moving map. ( I don't want to be in this airplane in the sky when the moving map is switched on :P )

Take-off

We we're soon pushed back 15 minutes late because of the engine problems. We began taxing and soon were near the runway, I was surprised because we began a ROLLING TAKE-OFF, its my first time to experience a rolling take-off though I have to say it more fun than the normal "hold take-off". We soon began to get power as the throttles we're being increased the airplane was begging to shake a bit. With both engines roaring and I mean roaring ! We rotated...a bit early. Soon the gear we're retracted with a loud bang that let me know that the gear was up  Smile .

Climbing

We we're climbing now with a look of Kuwait City to the left of us. We reached Crusing Altittude (34000ft) within 15 minutes. Experiencing few turbulence as we climbed. The crew began to serve us the meals, no choices only chicken.

Crusing through the Sky

We were now on our flight level over Saudia Arabia. There was no movies played. We only had access to the audio Channels.  Sad But that was okay because personally my only entertainment during flight is to look out of the window.

Descent

After nearly 3.5 hours we began our descent into Cairo city, the view from the window was great, lots of building and quit a dense population down there. We began to do some turns till we were lined up with the runway, flaps were full now and gear down and locked. We soon become over the threshold but still no touch down, there was very tough turbulence, we were flying over a quarter of the runway but still no touch down, then we banged into the runway very hard !.

Taxing to gate

After that wild touch down we began to taxi to the gate ( what am I talking about there are no gates at Cairo) so we taxied to our parking area. The engines were shut-off and gave there final roars ( I love the sound of the engine as it is being shut-off ). The stair case was soon brought up to our plane, we took our bags and headed to the exit. As I passed the cockpit I asked the chief Flight attendant If I could take a look inside the cockpit, his partner refused and was angry! but the kind old man gave me the chance to go in BUT WITH OUT MY CAMERA !!!!  Sad. We went down the stairs and WELCOME TO CAIRO

I'll Try to post the picture if I knew how to

Hope You'll have fun reading my trip report any I would like to hear your comment as this is my first trip report.

Cheers
the sky is the limit.............actually FL410 is the limit

jeffrey1970

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:49 pm

That sounds like a wild trip. I am sure you were glad they did not turn on the moving map while in flight :P
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

captain777

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:51 pm

LOL jeffrey1970, well actualy they did turn it on during flight and you don't want to know how every body in the plan acted  Smile . but everything turned out to be fine.

Cheers

SR 103

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:17 am

Nice report. My EgyptAir experience was a little less favorable than yours but its nice to see they are a decent carrier.

By chance was this a night flight? I know KU gets heavily booked to CAI. Why did you not opt for MEA or something like that? I know a lot of people that fly MEA, Gulf Air, or even Emirates when they can not get a seat on KU to CAI.

It surprises me as I had always though MS had a good reputation in KWI. Their staff in Kuwait are a real nice lot. Talked to them on many occasions.

SR 103

captain777

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:39 am

SR 103

Thank you for your post

It was a morning flight. And the reason why we did'nt book for MEA or any other carrier was because the KWI-CAI was just a transit to Cairo the flight then continued to take us to Sharm-el-sheik. I'll will shortly post the trip report from Cairo to Sharm el sheik.

Cheers

WidgetBoi

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:55 am

nice report  Big grin

jeremy

captain777

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:19 pm

Thank you jeremy  Smile

Hope you enjoyed it

captain777

Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:35 am

SOON with the pictures !!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards

captain777

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:08 am

NOW with photo's

Sorry they were late

Just landed at Cairo...Nice wing ha ?

[Edited 2004-07-19 18:12:25]

Those are the engines that brought up us to Cairo

This is our plane after we left it

Siting at Cairo

A Galaxy at Kuwiat Int Airport !

Taxing to gate and a KU A310

KU A310 at Kuwait Int Airport...... just arrived from Cairo (me)

Cheers

[Edited 2004-07-19 18:21:43]

[Edited 2004-07-19 18:23:23]

captain777

RE: Kuwait-Cairo On Egypt Air (With Pictures)

Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:14 am

Sorry that the pictures did'nt show up the first time !

taloush

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:17 pm

Excellent report, Bilal!

My family and I pretty much only fly EgyptAir on our trips to Egypt, so all the details you described in your trip report sound really familiar! (Except for that map-engine thing LOL  Smile)

I really feel bad for EgyptAir, though...It's got sooo much potential, yet it's drowning in a sea of beaurocracy and mismanagement (not unlike many government depts in Egypt!) They are in the middle of a major overhaul, if I remember correctly--new management, new planes, route rationalization...Hopefully it all works out!

I sincerely hope, though, that something's been/being done about their terminal at Cairo Airport, which, mildly put, is DISGUSTING.

Someday, inshAllah, the Horus shall fly high again!

Talal/in/AbuDhabi
Your attention, please.

captain777

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:37 am

Thanks for your reply Talal

I also wish that Egypt Air could improve more because I like this airline, and I hope it will achive a pleasing service some day.

Cheers

debonair

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:28 am

Hi Captain777,

sorry, but I can't see any pictures! all black- do you have adifferent link? cheers chris

MYT332

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:32 am

Nice report.

we were flying over a quarter of the runway but still no touch down, then we banged into the runway very hard !.

That happend when i landed at CAI to. Probably the done thing there!  Big grin

Good stuff
One Life, Live it.

captain777

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:59 pm

Who else can't see the pictures ??

Captain777
Cheers

captain777

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:14 am

If you can't see the photo's here visit this web :-

http://www.freewebs.com/kuwait-cairo/

Cheers  Smile

Horus

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:09 am

Taloush, have a look at the pics of the newly modernised T1 (Egyptair's terminal). I think you'll be very impressed. Very clean, airy and modern http://www.cairo-airport.com

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

airxliban

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:05 am

I flew MS a while back and was pretty impressed, they provide a solid product.

Flew IST-CAI-LXR, ASW-CAI-ISIT on 320, 707, AB6, 320.

anyway, enjoyed the report, thanks for that.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

StevenUhl777

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:33 am

Great report! Thanks for posting...I enjoyed it.

Wow...Kuwait to Cairo is 3.5 hours! I didn't think it was that far. Are commercial flights allowed to fly over the new free Iraq now?
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Austin767400

Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:06 pm

Enjoyed this one! Nice to see that they gave the moving map a shot.. im pretty shocked that they would turn on the moving map??? Nice Report!!!!

Austin767400

captain777

Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:03 pm

Thanx guys for your replies appreciate it.

StevenUhl777

Yeah it takes this long because we had to fly along side Iraq and didn't cut through it. If we had entered the Iraqi airspace we would have easily taken an hour to 45 mins out. And as for the Iraqi airspace right now it is allowed to fly in SOME areas but not all.

Austin767400

Yeah it won't be worth it if they opened the moving map in air and our engines die again !! lol anyway it was a pleasant flight not the BEST service but was good. I won't hesitate in flying on Egypt Air again. Though I have to say there baggage handling is a disaster.

Captain777

Cheers  Smile

taloush

Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:55 pm

Horus...

That simply CANNOT be the same terminal! Impossible! I'm shocked!  Wow! It's like the difference between (a very dark, dingy) night and (a very bright and airy) day! I'm impressed!

Now if they could only add jetways... Smile

Well done, Masr!

Talal

PS. I miss Egypt like mad--haven't been there in 3 years and am dying to go back! Next summer, inshAllah!
Your attention, please.

Horus

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:50 pm

Ahlan ya Talal

kifak?/Izzayak?

Yeah its all change at CAI. T1 as you saw is completely modernised, and very eye-catching. Unfortunately they wont have airbridges in T1, but will use a new fleet of air-conditioned Mercedes buses. It gives you a nice tour of the airport Big grin

T2 (currently used by most international airlines) will be rennovated soon.

Finally work on the new, super-modern, T3 will begin in 2005.

Horus

p.s. Inshallah we'll see you in Egypt next year then...
p.s.s. It's good to see you enjoyed your MS experience, Airxliban!
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

BA

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:58 am

Are commercial flights allowed to fly over the new free Iraq now?

Since August 2003 they can, but most airlines are still avoiding Iraqi airspace.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

captain777

Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:12 am

I'll send the CAIRO-SHARM-IL-SHEIK trip in a few days so be prepared !  Big grin

Captain777