Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:43 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first trip report, so please bear with me Smile

Date: 25-07-04
Leg: CUR-BON
Airline: BonairExel
Aircraft: ATR42-320
Flight no.: 9H2961

We arrived on CUR with a KLM 744 (PH-BFL) from AMS. I was with my brother, and we were heading to BON for our well-deserved vacation. After we deplaned, we went to the transit hall and awaited our flight with BonairExel to BON. Everything in the Antilles goes very slow, so it was hardly a surprise to us that we had a 45-minute delay. But finally we saw out plane land. It was an ATR42.
After a short while the boarding procedure started. We walked onto the tarmac and I quickly popped out my camera to take some photos. We saw a MyTravel DC10, a DCA DC-9 and our 744 in which we arrived.

In the distance we could see one of the grounded Tristars, which DCA had been using for flight from AMS.

And then we saw our plane. What a nice livery it has.

I was one of the first people to step into the aircraft. I put down my backpack and I walked a bit towards the cockpit. Then the pilot said I could come. He didn’t have to tell me twice! Big thumbs up
While I was walking to the cockpit I noticed the cargo hole on the front left side of the plane. I thought that was kind of weird, as I’ve always seen our luggage being stowed underneath the seat. But oh well...

Then I arrived at the cockpit. I took some good looks around and asked if I could take some pictures. They didn’t mind. While I was taking photos the captain and I chatted a bit in Dutch. The Co-Pilot was French and so he didn’t speak Dutch.
Then all of a sudden, the captain asked me if I wanted to fly with them in the cockpit. I thought “oh man...This is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” and I quickly said yes. The captain explained how the jumpseat had to be opened and after a short while I was sitting among the pilots.

It was really hot and the cockpit, but all that would change once we were airborne. We started to taxi and there was a DCA DC-9 taxiing in front of us. We turned onto the runway and there we went!

So once we were in the air, I chatted some more with the pilot. We also saw some planes flying in the other direction and it was all over before I knew it.
I was starting to see BON doomed up in front of us after about 10-15 minutes of flying. We had a bit of a shaky landing but it went ok. So now my jumpseat flight was finally coming to an end.

We stopped at the airport building and everyone got out of the plane. I said goodbye to the pilots, the captain said:" goodbye and I'll probably see you at City" (which is a popular cafe on BON). I went through customs and there I was.... On Bonaire again...

Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

KiwiNanday

RE: 25-07-04 CUR-BON; My 1st Jumpseat!

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:49 am

Then all of a sudden, the captain asked me if I wanted to fly with them in the cockpit. I thought “oh man...This is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” and I quickly said yes. The captain explained how the jumpseat had to be opened and after a short while I was sitting among the pilots.

Why can't American pilots be like this???
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

planesarecool

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:50 am

Great report, and fantastic pictures!

Do you know what the MyTravel DC-10 was duing in Curacao?

-Stephen

airkas1
Crew

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 am

Yes, The MYT DC-10 was leased by DCA for European flights, because both their Tristars had/have problems.

Kas
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

cancidas

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:43 am

Why can't American pilots be like this???

because the FAA doesn't allow it because a few bad apples ruined for everyone on one day in september a few years ago.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

luisde8cd

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:10 pm

damn! u are lucky for sure! the only in-cockpit experience I've ever had was with Aeropostal in a DC9-51. In my return flight to CCS from PUJ, I was allowed to stand in the cockpit during approach to CCS, but the fun ended 25miles out of CCS, when the captain asked me to return to my seat Sad.

Good report by the way...