IB7693 30 August 2004

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:22 am

LIS – BCN 30 August IB7693

This flight is a code share flight with TAP but the flight number I have is the IB flight number. The flight was actually operated with a TP A321 for the 4:25pm departure to BCN. After spending some days in Lisbon and Cascais, where our friends live, we were ready to head over to the other side of the peninsula and check out what Barcelona had to offer.

This flight was boarded in the buses and then we were trekked out to where a full stand of TP aircraft were waiting there passengers. There seemed to be A319, A320 and A321 all waiting for passengers to board. They had the passengers boarding from the front and rear doors up air stairs. We were in the back of the plane and didn’t have many people around us. But our luck ran out and a group of really rowdy Portuguese men got on the plane. They were having fun but they were a bit disruptive throughout most of the flight.

We had a nice take off and climb out – I really like the A321 for this. After we leveled off they served us a ham and cheese sandwich, choice of a drink and some coffee. I noticed that the alcoholic drinks seemed to be included with the selections as nobody was paying for anything.

We approached BCN over the ocean and made a nice landing and an easy entry into Spain to enjoy a few days here. Again, a nice intra-EU flight without too many interesting things to report.

RE: IB7693 30 August 2004

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:10 am

I always liked TP and find them to be my second "home" airline as I live very near the border, OPO airport is 1 h away from home and they have great deals. They usualyy are friendly and have a nice service onboard. Their only drawback used to be their handling and ground assistance, but that has been improving lately.

RE: IB7693 30 August 2004

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:17 am

Just for the record,

Some years ago, when IB went on a mad shopping frenzy and bought AR, VA, UC (which turned to be a nightmare) the airline tried to buy some shares of TP as well. Actually the Portuguese government refused, for they were afraid that TP would disappear and become a regional feeder for IB MAD operations. (which was probably a quite accurate guess) ... as you know, TP then entered Qualiflyer and somehow managed to "survive" to it.

Later there was a "proposal" made by de Palacio about "merging the Peninsula main carriers" ... hmmm ... sounds more or less the same.

Well, nowadays TP and IB have close ties (FF as well) and I think TP may join Oneworld IIRC?