Topic Author
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2000 4:48 am


Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:26 am

I haven't written a trip report in a long time, mainly because most of my flights are short, relatively uneventful sub-3 hour trips in the US. For example, on Monday February 14, I flew from Washington National to O'Hare on United. This flight was somewhat more interesting than the norm.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Smith
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeffrey Westley

At the beginning . . . I was reminded of the relative convenience of DCA compared to most other large-city airports. I left my hotel on Capitol Hill at 12:05 and by 12:35 I was through security and standing in line waiting for a sandwich. The airport is very close to the city and there was virtually no line in security.

I made a mistake on timing - UA flight 621 departs DCA at 2:45, but I had misread my Outlook calendar as indicating that it left at 1:45 om. Actually, I'll blame United - I downloaded my itinerary from United's website directly into Outlook. It automatically entered a 1:45 pm item into my Calendar (since I live in Chicago, which is one hour behind Washington), but the text inside the entry noted that the flight departed 2:45 LOCAL TIME. Well, OK - maybe I should have looked a little more carefully.

So, I waited for about 1.5 hours in a relatively quiet terminal near Gate 31, listening to music and doing a little work. At 2:15 (30 minutes before departure) I was able to secure a nice exit row seat (16C), which was a pretty good change even from my Economy Plus 13C.

Sitting in the terminal, I was struck by the number of regional jets serving National, especially the USAirways and American flights. Our 757 was the largest plane I saw at the terminal for most of the time. I saw one stubby Frontier A318 (at least I think it was a 318) that was tiny.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish/Cactus Wings
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralph Duenas

We boarded on time at about 2:25. The plane was only about half-full. I was the only one in my row on the right side of the plane. LOTS of legroom in this seat! A baby was crying loudly in a seat three rows behind me, but fortunately he/she quickly fell asleep.

Weather was light rain, winds calm, low overcast. I think that LGA was fairly socked in - I heard a comment by an ATC on Channel 9 that there were a fair number of go-arounds at one of the eastern airports - I assume it was either Boston or LGA - I just didn't get the headset on me in time.

Things got a little more interesting after pushback. We were scheduled to depart on Runway 180 directly to the South. We taxied to the end of the ramp by the USAirways hanger, and we we were number 4 for TO. However, shifting winds required the Tower to switch to Runway 1 from Runway 180. In the words of the Tower, "we are going to have to turn the world around now." She then worked to get all of the airplanes repositioned to the other end of the runway. Fortunately, Runway 15 did not seem to be in much use at the time, so we did a U-turn through the end of Rwy 33 and headed south to Rwy 1. At the same time, the Tower kept some of the other planes at their gates to wait for the parade of planes on the taxiway to reposition themselves. (I can't imagine how ORD or other large airports shift so many planes, but I think the runway configurations make it easier - don't know.)

By the time we we taxied to Rwy 1 it was about 3:10. We were going to be number 4 for takeoff, but then the FAA or whoever put a longer hold on us because of delays into ORD. I think the reason was high winds - 20 knots gusting to 30 - but I don't know for sure.

During this part of pre-flight I was impressed by the pilot's continually updating us on status. He gave us four or five updates before we took off.

Takeoff itself was exciting. Lots of rain/mist blowing off of the wings and wheels. Plus, as anyone who flies out of DCA on Rwy 1 knows, all planes must veer sharply to the left immediately after TO to avoid security areas in downtown DC. A lightly loaded 757 really moves after TO, and it was odd, to say the least, to look to my left through the window on the other side of the aisle and stare right into the Pentagon parking lot!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rafal Szczypek

I turned off Channel 9 soon after TO and switched to music. Most of the flight was uneventful at FL37. I switched back on 45 minutes into the flight. We started our initial descent fairly far out - about 35 minutes before touchdown, and while our plane was still under Indianapolis Center control. Most of the ATC chatter was about the turbulence, winds, and spacing between flights. We leveled briefly at FL24 before moving to FL13 to avoid turbulence and position for landing. There was a solid cloud layer at about FL6-7. ATC ordered us to speed up, slow down, etc. from 320 to 270 and back, for spacing. As we descended, but before we punched through the cloud deck, I saw a couple of other planes off to the right emerging from the clouds after departure from ORD.

We landed smoothly on 27L at ORD at about 4pm, after an uneventful ILS approach.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Considering the delays on TO we still did well for the final arrival time. The only glitch was that no one was at gate C10 to move the jetway into place, so we waited five minutes before the doors opened at about 4:15. That's really inexcusable at United's major Midwest hub, especially with passengers trying to make connections.

All said, an enjoyable flight! As usual, thanks to United for offering Channel 9!

Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 11:02 am


Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Good report! Thanks for sharing. Last time I flew into DCA was 20 years ago, on a 727, from ORD. Back then, that place was a shithole...I understand it's quite nice now after the work they've done. I usually connect to somewhere else when I fly into DC, so I always go through IAD.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bgboiflyer, blink182, I LOVE EWR and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos