ClassicLover
Topic Author

LGW-AMS On British Airways Economy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:06 am

LGW-AMS
BA8113
British Airways B737-300
Seat 9F

Gatwick airport is an oasis in the desert compared to the seventeen different kinds of hell that is Heathrow! Got the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station, then I got the driverless monorail thing to the North terminal.

Checked the boards - Check-in F. Couldn't see any Business Class counters, and the guy who is a helper, says, "In you go, mate!". Well, I didn't think so -mate- and asked him where Business Class was. Check-in C. Oh, right.

Checked in, and they had nothing to say about my 27kg suitcase (while I hid my 8kg carry on!), and changed me from a reserved aisle seat (as if) to a window seat. Boarding was to be at 0910.

Had something to eat, visited the loo, and then waited until a gate came up on the screen. I really hate that - having to wait around like some kind of lemon until you're assigned a gate. For some reason I find it really demeaning, especially since the gates are assigned so close to boarding time.

Anyway... at 0910, boarding time, we're assigned a gate. Hot foot it down there, and we wait there for 20 minutes, as they were still cleaning the inbound flight - fog had slowed down traffic. No problem.

Finally get on the bus and board the plane. My carry-on wouldn't fit into the minute BA bins, and so I took my coat out and voila, all good. The F/A helped me out though, she was quite nice. After everyone was boarded the pilots came on and told us that there was to be a further 20 minute delay due to air traffic control.

He sounded really peeved, but he explained they were going to do some kind of hold just off the stand rather than queuing, which was fine, and explained how it was done and all the rest of it. Kudos to the BA pilots, who kept us more informed than any pilots have ever done in my experience.

Eventually we were in the air, and moments later we were being tossed boxes of food. There were fruits in syrup, yoghurt, and I am sure there was something else - oh yes, tea and coffee - but another food. It was a hot meal, and I think it was scrambled eggs or something. It was nice!

For a 45 minute flight it was more than ample. The ladies next to me were whooping it up like children, and they were commenting that the wings looked like they were going to fall off (they were ratty), and as we hit turbulence, saying we were going to crash. Lucky I am interested in plane crashes, so I am not at all worried by things like that  Smile

Arrived in Amsterdam and that was that!

I enjoyed my first BA flight - everything was what I would expect from a large international airline. F/As, check-in and pilots were all above and beyond what could be expected, which made the entire flight just that much more fun. Excellent work!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

LH423

RE: LGW-AMS On British Airways Economy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:31 pm

If you were travelling in EuroTraveller, how did you check in at Club check-in?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ClassicLover
Topic Author

RE: LGW-AMS On British Airways Economy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:43 pm

I am a OneWorld Ruby Frequent Flyer (Qantas Silver). Benefits of the level include being able to check-in at Business Class counters, regardless of the class you are flying.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!