Topic Author
Posts: 3471
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am


Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:29 am

Lax-cdg-jnb Af F
This is part of a 3 1/2 week jounrey I am taking to South Africa. New part of the world for me. I used my DL miles (160,000 of them) for an AF F award. Not a bad deal for 4 ten hour flights! Wasn't hard to get the seats on the dates I wanted either, booking 6 weeks in advance.

Now, I have just completed the first leg of the journey, and I don't have much to praise just yet. I'll start with check in... Well, prior to check in. It was a tearful good-bye with my partner, who was not able to join me on this adventure. I already miss him dearly.

Terminal 2, LAX
I was second in the F line, and the computers were down. Took about 10 minutes to rectify. Cheery agent checked me in quickly and gave me an invite to the NW lounge. (I had thought that AF F pax use the new NZ lounge, as NW closes theirs at 6pm now. But it turns out that NW keeps the lounge open until 9 on the days that AF has the late flight). I tood my bags to the security check, said good-bye to them, and was on my way to the gate.

Security took no time, and I was soon in the NW lounge. Boy, has it gone downhill in the past few years! Lots of wear and tear. Not much food choice. And no wi-fi. The worst things was the offensive odor from the guy sitting near me. I was praying that he would not be my seat mate.

The flight, LAX-CDG, 744
Boarding was orderly chaos. Or is it chaotic order? I was soon on the plane. Now, I had been checking the seat maps, and up unitl a few hours before travel, the one next to me was empty. Anyway, I get to my seat, and it must have been 20 minutes before I was greeted. 30 minutes until my jacket was taken. 35 minutes until I was offered a drink. It wasn't the warmest service, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Flight departs at 9:35, and at 9:30, seat next to me is still empty.

But then a woman came along and claimed the seat. (At least it wasn't stinky from the NW club!) But here's what's odd. She took the seat, but then for both take-off and landing, she went back to C class. Wasn't sure what that was about!

Took off on time and soon we were over Vegas. Drink service included packaged cashews (that actually came in a box). Little appetizers (nova, crab, shrimp canapes.... the usual stuff) as well.

Choice of hors d'oeuvre:
Duck foie gras
Poached shrimp and rock lobster
Fresh salad

Choice of main course
Grilled tournedos of beef
Filet and monkfish
Risotto with asparagus
Today's Suggestion
Chicken with curry sauce

Cheese, bakery
Dessert Cart
Petits fours frais
Strawberry tart
Choclate Delight
Sherbert with cookies

I chose the chicken curry, which was excellent. I has this with a salad. Not much else. Service was very basic. They had a cart, the same as would be used in Y, and unpacked much of the food in front of us. But it was tasty. The two FA's were perfunctory but pleasent. Not refined the way other F classes are. (I prefer the srevice in UA F, though not the food).

Entertainment was old style. I watched, "Tootsie." Such a classic. Went to bed after that and actualyl slept a bit.

Breakfast was 45 minutes before landing. Eggs or waffles. I had a waffle, which was OK, but not great.

We landed early and I was off the plane quickly. Made my way over to 2F at CDG and found the lounge. Took a nice shower and am sitting here now. Wi-fi is not free, but the food offerings are nice.

More later!
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2017
Topic Author
Posts: 3471
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am


Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 pm

After 5.5 hours in the F lounge at CDG, it was time for the leg down to JNB. There was a huge crowd at the boarding area, and the posted signs for elite, F, and C pax was ignored by everyone. I made it onto the plane, and once again into seat 3A. (According to the loads an hour earlier, AF was still selling 5 F seats for my flight, and the seat map showed 3B empty!)

But of course, as I got to my seat, 3B was filled  Sad

The FA's were much more pleasent and timely on this segment. Lots of smiles. I was offered a drink soon after boarding, along with more PJ's, another amenity kit, and a menu. Slippers were already in the seat pocket.

My seat mate was a talking. He really didn't shut up at all on the ground. I finally explained (during the safety briefing) that it was important to pay attention.

Now, a word about the briefing. It is really, really, poorly done! The actors are over the top in speaking their lines right. It's just a bit much!

Once in the air, supper began. No drink service, as the flight left after 11pm, and people wanted to sleep. (The flight is listed as having a snack for supper and a full breakfast). I left the menu on the plane, so I will just outline my choices:

For supper, I skipped the appetizers and went right to the veal, which was delicious. I skipped the cheese and went right for the pinneapple tart. I asked for port, but the FA didn't understand me. No prob, as I was tired anyway.

I watched a Tommy Lee Jones movie with cheerleaders in it. Funny but not all that great. I really like TLJ, going back to his performance in, "Coal Miner's Daughter," my favorite movie of all times.

I reclined my seat into a full bed and closed my eyes. Unfortunately, the FA's did not come by with the full duvet and pillows, as they had on my previous flight. I was too tired to ask them for one.

I slept a few hours, walked around, and slept some more.

2.5 hours before landing, I got back up and watched more video. Breakfast came 1 hour before landing. Eggs or French toast. I had the eggs, along with delicious pastries. (I love morning breads. My waist line does not!)

Landing was beautiful, and soon we pulled up to the remote stand. I used to love remote stands, as it's kinda fun to walk outside, take photos, etc. But I don't like them on international arrivals, when timing off the plane is essential so that you can run toward the front of the immigration line!

Still, I was near the front, and then it was time for bags. Though mine were priority, they were literally in the last batch onto the belt.

Well, 25 hours after leaving LAX, I got to JNB. I'll be here for 2.5 weeks. While here, I go down to CPT. I'll report about those flights when the time comes!
18 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2017
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:14 am


Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:27 pm

Cool report, International F for 27 hours must've been a blast.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Metronom, swissair4ever, theobcman, WAC and 1 guest

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos