mikesairways

AA SJC-SNA Mainline Flight - One Way

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:43 am

So I went down to the OC to meet some friends and spend a long day at Disneyland and end up driving back to San Jose. So here we go:

Sometime back in August....
I was invited to meet up with my friends down there and we set the dates (or so I thought) and booked a flight for October 21 on AA. ($80 one way was pretty good)

About 21st September:
Me: So I can't wait one more month...it will be a lot of fun
Friend Jenn: Whats in one more month?
Me: Our Trip to D-land?
Jenn: Um...no, its the 7th
Me: What?
Jenn: Um...yeah
Me: Oh crap

So I called AA to see if on the slightest whim I could change the ticket:
Me: Can I change my departure date?
AA: You're probably better to just buy a new ticket - with the change fee and fare increase, you would have to pay $105
Me: Ok , i'll just book it online

So I got a new ticket, this time it was $85 and now was good to go.

Friday, October 7, 2005
AA 2407
Dep SJC 7:17AM ON TIME
Arr SNA 8:36AM ON TIME
Equip: M80
Seat: 9A
Gate: A 10 / Arrival Gate 9
Load: 100%

Got to the airport about 6:00AM and saw a line had grown for security so thought I'd run over to the Southwest side of Terminal A - no line at all, so security took literally one minute if that and I was in. Found I'd be going out of A10 and that the 630AM RJ flight was canceled - so I figured we'd have a pretty full flight and we did.

Got a starbucks and went down to the international terminal where there is nobody and took a little nap (only thing is it is so bright there it was hard to sleep). Eventually I made it to the other end and rememberd that the HA 767 RON's at A15 so I walked over there to check it out - nice looking bird.

Boarding was announced but delayed a bit while the ticket reader was not working - eventually the boarding agent keyed boardings manually which took a bit longer.

Since I was more upfront; I was in Group 6 so the plane was pretty full by the time I boarded. Doors were closed and we started push back.

Take off from 30R was pretty routine with our turn south and a quick climb to FL 270. Service was basically water, oj or coffee and started only after the captain turned off the seat belt sign. Decent seemed to start a bit late as we were flying over LAX with pretty steep decent over the ocean and then over past LGB where we turned back inland with a right turn to line up with 19L a smooth landing.

Had a great weekend and now i'm back at work - blah.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

AA737-823

RE: AA SJC-SNA Mainline Flight - One Way

Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 am

The group thing is the strangest thing. There seems to be no reason behind it, and no improvement through it. SIX groups? For an MD-80? The most I have ever encountered on an AA MD-80 is three, maybe four, but I think three. And usually then just announce the first two, and then say "everybody else" which creates a Southwest- style stampede at the door. Odd, because most people on this board that don't like WN cite their 'hectic boarding' as one of the primary reasons.
And you're in group six because you're in the front? Then why, OH WHY, did AA create groups, only to board from back to front like they've done for the last five decades?
It's obnoxious.

Enjoy work.