freedomtofly

SFO-SAN On UA (with Pics)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:31 pm

Well this is my second trip report here on A.net, so enjoy!

United Airlines flight 48
SFO-SAN
8:12 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
Boeing 757-200
Seat 22F

I decided to take advantage of the “fares are so delightful” holiday sale at United and go somewhere fun over my winter break. So I decided to head down to my home town of San Diego.

I got up to the slightly annoying sound of my alarm clock beeping in my ear at 6:00. I got dressed, took a quick shower and headed off to SFO. I used the very helpful “easy check-in” kiosks lined up everywhere around the UA ticketing area and was quickly on my way. Of course through security I was chosen to be “randomly screened” which didn’t take very long so I was happy. Once at my gate (84 to be exact) I sat down and listened to my recently acquired ipod nano until they called me up for boarding. I sat down on-board a very empty plane, in fact there was no one in my row, and the pushback commenced right on time.

We took of on runway 10R and flew straight down the coast. It was mainly a smooth flight despite some occasional light chop and I took some pics. After a very short while we began our descent. We came in from the ocean heading east, then made a 180 and began final approach to runway 27. The touchdown was smooth and I was “home.”

I had a great time down in sunny, warm southern California, but after a few days it was time to head back to gray, cold, crappy northern California.

United Airlines flight 930
SAN-SFO
8:52 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
Boeing 757-200
Seat 21A

Once again I was awoken by the annoying sound of the alarm clock and I knew it was sadly time to leave. Same routine as last time and I was ready to go. I got to the smaller, yet easier KSAN and did the “easy check-in” thing again. Of course, just my luck, I was randomly screened and this time it wasn’t just my bag, but me. I even asked her why and she’s like “well you were the last person in line and I had to pick somebody” so I guess that’s life. Anyway I walked over to Starbucks, had the awesome cinnamon dolce latte and sat at gate 15 for about an hour. This plane was full to the max! Half of the pax on this flight were military personnel bound for Okinawa for some conference thing. Anyway we were called for boarding, not by sections, but all at once so it was a bit more confusing, but I made it to my seat with no problems.

We took off on runway 27 and made a right turn to head to San Fran. This flight was a bit bumpier due to a weak storm system that was making its way through the area at that time. This flight also seemed to take longer for some reason, but the descent began as usual and we headed for SFO.

We got into some very weird holding pattern south of SJC and the plane was kept right above the clouds so it was pretty bumpy. I had no idea where I was when we broke through the stupid clouds, and I thought we were landing on 19L lol. We ended up doing the classic 28 approach and made a somewhat mediocre landing on 28L. We taxied, parked at gate 85, and another small mileage run was over with. Hope you guys enjoyed the report! I got a few more trips to report this year so stay tuned.

~Aaron
You are now free to move about the world.

September11

RE: SFO-SAN On UA (with Pics)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:50 pm

Freedom to Fly!

Quoting Freedomtofly (Thread starter):
I had a great time down in sunny, warm southern California

That is great. You can always go back there.

Quoting Freedomtofly (Thread starter):
Of course, just my luck, I was randomly screened and this time it wasn’t just my bag, but me. I even asked her why and she’s like “well you were the last person in line and I had to pick somebody” so I guess that’s life.

That is a good excuse!

What were your flight dates?
Airliners.net of the Future

freedomtofly

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 1):
What were your flight dates?

Oh sorry forgot to post those:

UA48 - January 3rd
UA930 - January 7th

Quoting September11 (Reply 1):
That is great. You can always go back there.

I definately will someday soon!

~Aaron

Goldenshield

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:38 am

SFO was under flow control the day you came back. Also, they tend to make planes do all kinds of wierd vectors to allow for spacing.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

ac21365

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Purdy pictures man. I wish I could fly  Sad

-Aaron

GEEZ

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 am

Great report mate,

I need to get my limey ass to SFO one day!

Chris  wave 
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it... UNLESS it's a crap AFCAD!

CougarAviator

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:30 am

anyone have any idea why pics won't come up for me?

Thanks
Failure is not an option.....

freedomtofly

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Quoting CougarAviator (Reply 6):
anyone have any idea why pics won't come up for me?

They were having problems loading yesterday, but they are fine now, so come back and take a look.  Smile

Aaron

SFOMB67

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Good pix's....I especially liked the one of the linear accelerator, near Stanford, on your approach to SFO. Is the stadium near San Diego, Petco Park?
Not as easy as originally perceived

freedomtofly

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 8):
Is the stadium near San Diego, Petco Park?

Thanks! No that is Qualcomm stadium. Petco park is right in the middle of San Diego.

~Aaron

GSPITNL

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Very nice report and Pictures  Smile
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)