Jamake1
Topic Author

RAVE: Jet Blue

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm

I had to travel from SFO to BOS overnight to attend my best friend's 40th Birthday. United's all-nighter to BOS was full so I flew to JFK on United in First Class on a p.s. flight. Great flight. Friendly crew. Comfortable night's rest. When I arrived in JFK, I went over to Terminal 6, and hopped on a Jet Blue flight to BOS. I boarded a brand new ERJ 190 and shortly thereafter, the captain came on the p.a. to explain that "this baby was fresh from the nursery." The aircraft had only been in service for about 2 weeks. The leg room was comfortable, the windows were large, the flight attendants were friendly. On a 25 minute flight, they served bottled water or mini-sized cans of orange juice, followed by a choice of blue chips or chocolate chip cookies. XM Radio and Direct TV was simply icing on the cake. Although I will always have a soft spot in my heart for United, I think I've discovered a new favorite airline. High quality service from start to finish. What more could one ask for? Well done, Jet Blue...and thanks for the lift...
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

jetbluefan1

RE: RAVE: Jet Blue

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:40 pm

I heard B6'S E190s are very comfortable aircraft to fly on - more comfortable than the A320s. Nevertheless, the A320s are also very comfortable. In any case, I'm not surprised that you had a great experience on B6 and I'm glad you did!

BTW, B6 flies non-stop from OAK-BOS so that was always another option to SFO-JFK-BOS.

JetBluefan1

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 am

I believe B6 flies OAK-BOS 2X during the winter and 3X during the summer. But from what I understand, seats sell fast.

crjflyer35

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:58 am

Unfortuanately I have no reason to go to the East Coast, so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to fly this airline. I'm still waiting for B6 to start service to Chicago, MDW or ORD, doesn't matter to me. Looks like they're doing well though, keep it up jetBlue!

"So the ice acts as a chilling agent?"
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

fanoftristars

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Jamake1 (Thread starter):
What more could one ask for?

A first class cabin with actual meals on longer flights
Flights across the atlantic
Service to secondary cities
Flights at times that are not during sleeping hours
A better reward program
A club or lounge

At least they're going the right direction with the new ERJ. I flew DL's ERJ170 the other day; it's a great little plane, especially in first class.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

MiCorazonAzul

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 4):
A first class cabin with actual meals on longer flights

You're comparing apples to oranges. of course you're gonna get a meal in FIRST CLASS....you're paying out the a$$ for that seat...that's the LEAST a legacy carrier can do. Oh and you said it...LONGER FLIGHTS.....forget about a meal on a short 2-4 hour flight......

Flights across the atlantic

Totally different market. We are focusing on domestic but also have a growing international network. Of course, not across the atlantic but that's a different market that we aren't interested in for now......

Service to secondary cities

It's only a matter of time until we have more and more cities on our route network.....we are only 6 years old you know.....

Flights at times that are not during sleeping hours

Funny that most times people prefer those flights. Besides, not ALL flights are like that......and btw, they are called REDEYE flights....and I do believe legacy carriers also have those as well.

A club or lounge

Again, only if you are paying out the a$$ for your seat. That's the ONLY WAY you get access to such amenities. You are comparing a first class product that you pay A LOT more for. Apples and oranges my dear........

Now, why don't you tell me about an ECONOMY seat experience on a legacy? Not pretty is it??????

As for the topic of this thread, I am glad you enjoyed our service and hope you choose jetBlue again!  bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2006-01-23 03:01:21]
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

OttoPylit

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 5):
of course you're gonna get a meal in FIRST CLASS....you're paying out the a$$ for that seat...that's the LEAST a legacy carrier can do.

Don't be so sure about that. You can get discounted first class seats cross country for roughly about $300. Not a bad penny for First Class. I wouldn't call that comparing apples to oranges, more like apples to something Jetblue doesn't have and business travelers want.

Totally different market. We are focusing on domestic but also have a growing international network. Of course, not across the atlantic but that's a different market that we aren't interested in for now......

Ah yes, we won't be interested in transatlantic, we'll suffice with the low-yield Caribbean network, even though all the other airlines are breaking their necks trying to expand across the Atlantic because thats where the money is. Once again, comparing apples to something you don't have.

It's only a matter of time until we have more and more cities on our route network.....

I don't think an E190 is gonna cut it in GRB or DSM. I could be wrong about those small cities, but probably not.

Again, only if you are paying out the a$$ for your seat. That's the ONLY WAY you get access to such amenities.

thumbsdown BZZZZ! Wrong. Clubs and lounge memberships are purchased, with those revenues going to the airline. And if you are an elite flier, you get them for free or for deep discounts. Something business travelers want. So you are incorrect, buying First Class seats "out the a$$" is NOT the way you get such amenities.

You are comparing a first class product that you pay A LOT more for. Apples and oranges my dear........

Yes, something you pay more for and get more for. Once again, apples to something Jetblue doesn't have.

Not one of your more argumentative posts.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

GVWOW

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:06 pm

Thank you for making me even MORE excited about going on Jetblue! I really appreciated this post, and that an A. netter is truly happy with B6. Long live Jetblue!
I have yet to have a decent experience in Y-class on a legacy. Aside from good orange juice and a yummy calzone on NW, just about every time I've done it the seat was dirty and broken, the FAs where mean as heck, and the ground service was subpar. I'm sure that there are many exceptions, but it sounds to me like B6 has a solid reputation and new nice planes.

superhub

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Quote:
XM Radio and Direct TV was simply icing on the cake. Although I will always have a soft spot in my heart for United, I think I've discovered a new favorite airline. High quality service from start to finish.

Glad you like Jetblue.

It really saddens me that Jetblue is considered one of the best airlines in the US. Not because I don't like Jetblue, actually I like Jetblue a lot. Jetblue is a great airline with excellent inflight entertainment and services. But Jetblue's products are what any half-decent airline SHOULD offer in Economy Class. Of all the legacy carriers, almost none of them have PTVs on domestic flights (NWA doesn't even offer IFE), seats look torn and old, planes are old. No wonder when Jetblue came along, people marvels at what Jetblue offers - a product that is offered at any standard international airline (minus free meals).

I hope you get to fly Jetblue in the future. I also hope that US airlines start to take the initiative to aggresively upgrade their products. I am glad that United began their p.s. services (although there is still no PTVs in Econ Plus), and glad that Delta will be doing some upgrades in the future. But many others (namely AA, NW) really need to upgrade their domestic products.

[Edited 2006-01-23 04:19:29]

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 6):
Don't be so sure about that. You can get discounted first class seats cross country for roughly about $300

bull, show me one that you don't have to book way in advance and stay for a month.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

OttoPylit

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 9):
bull, show me one that you don't have to book way in advance and stay for a month.

LOL I said they were there. A discounted first class ticket. If its discounted, its obviously got restrictions(you don't have to stay for a month, but they do go pretty quick, so booking early is recommended), but they are there. I never said they didn't have restrictions, just that they were available. LOL

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

petazulu

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:24 pm

ottopylit,
You are a wierd guy. The post was so full of holes its not even worth the time to refute each point. I think you must have been joking, right?

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 10):
LOL I said they were there. A discounted first class ticket. If its discounted, its obviously got restrictions(you don't have to stay for a month, but they do go pretty quick, so booking early is recommended), but they are there. I never said they didn't have restrictions, just that they were available. LOL

OttoPylit

OK, so show me one, because I think you are full of it.

b6sea

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:08 pm

I have to say that some criticism is warranted.

1. Jetblue is still young and does not fly to secondary cities because the planes can only be delivered so fast.
2. I completely agree that they need an F class cabin to compete (Personally, I consider any airline without one to be second tier)
3. I think sometime in the future 2012, 2015 you'll see a nice big 787 (I wish) or A-350 in B6 colours on approach to LHR or CDG, just a matter of time.

That said, still my favorite airline... no bad experiences yet and who can beat PTVs and XM!

-Chans

AF Cabin Crew

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:12 pm

Ia Orana All !

Well I have flown three times on jetBlue, one return flight between LGB and OAK and the other was a LGB-BOS.
The flights always departed on time, the staff wether on the ground or in the air were more than helpfull (only glitch was that male flight attendant on the LGB-BOS who was chewing his gum while handing out blankets ! Yes you heard right B6 hands out blankets for free, they are not 5 or 10 USD like on some other carriers.), the choice of snacks was amazing, drinks were provided at each request and my tray can attest to the amount of stuff I picked in that basket ! Now... tell me on which carrier could I ask them for nearly everything ???

jetBlue also provides pillows, headsets, live TV and great entertainement.
I mean true jetBlue doesn't provide with a lounge before departure, they don't have First Class seats, they don't fly to London, Paris, Rome or Tokyo but remember that Rome wasn't built in one day, that you get really good pitch and I know what I'm talking about as I am 6'2", that they offer one of the best product for a domestic carrier worldwide, yes worldwide... Worldwide because I work for the biggest airline in Europe, Air France-KLM and none of these 2 airlines have a service that comes as close to what jetBlue offers to its customers. BMI is the same, no first or business class, buy everything you want on board, no entertainment...
I have travelled extensively across the globe on nonrev and full fare tickets (btw I was a revenue pax on those B6 flights) I will say that the best domestic service I experience in Business Class was on SunAir of South Africa and the best domestic economy Class service was on jetBlue !
They deserve every single award and accolade they get !

Keep up the good work jetBlue !

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © HT1000

Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting B6sea (Reply 13):
I have to say that some criticism is warranted.

1. Jetblue is still young and does not fly to secondary cities because the planes can only be delivered so fast.
2. I completely agree that they need an F class cabin to compete (Personally, I consider any airline without one to be second tier)
3. I think sometime in the future 2012, 2015 you'll see a nice big 787 (I wish) or A-350 in B6 colours on approach to LHR or CDG, just a matter of time.

That said, still my favorite airline... no bad experiences yet and who can beat PTVs and XM!

-Chans

2) Yeah look at WN, their bottom line is hurting without an F class. It is part of their business model not to have one, and it seems to be working just fine for them.
3)Seriously? What are you smoking? Again one of the major reasons for their success is that they don't fly international. International flying is a lot more expensive and taxing on crews, and equipment.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:45 pm

we are only 6 years old you know.....

Not quite, if B6 was 6, I'd know the new tail art design!  spin  But dang close... They're doing well. If the #1 complaint about B6 is a lack of cities... they'll fix that eventually!

Now, why don't you tell me about an ECONOMY seat experience on a legacy? Not pretty is it??????

Unfortunately true...

I've heard a lot of complaints in this thread that B6 doesn't have 1st class. Let me put in my rebuttal; every airline that has a first class treats those in coach as 2nd class citizens. Hence, if I'm going to fly coach, I would rather purchase a ticket on an airline that doesn't offer 1st.

Don't be so sure about that. You can get discounted first class seats cross country for roughly about $300.

This is a good point. Coming from a family that buys tickets WAY in advance, its amazing how cheap 1st can be. (Yes, long stays, etc.) So while I really like B6, there is a point here...

Quoting AF Cabin Crew (Reply 14):
drinks were provided at each request and my tray can attest to the amount of stuff I picked in that basket

rotfl  Your tray looks like an add for B6.  bigthumbsup 

Now to head over to a thread to see what B6's new cities are going to be...

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

EridanMan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Ok... This 'lack of F class' criticism every time someone mentiones B6 is really starting to get tired (Otto, its _great_ to see that you're passionate about your company, more like you, and I'm sure DL's future is secure- when passion comes first, all else follows)...

But for crying out loud, all of you, shut the hell up about First Class service...

I'll be blunt, you know what the first class cabin does? it Pisses off every single coach customer who has to walk through it. Any exclusivity does, it's simple human nature- you get two camps, the wannabee's who _might_ look up to it, and everyone else, who finds it repulsive... _Especially_ in these tight financial times, when all of a sudden meals I remember getting for free as a child cost me 8-10 bucks (same sub-par garbage, new ripoff price)- and then you get to see those sitting at the front of the plane- making the flight inherantly less efficiant (the space for their larger seats cuts the bottom line, any way you cut it)- in an age where I'm paying five bucks for a 'snack pack' that expired last year, they're getting free drinks, jacking up the price of _my_ ticket (less efficiant flight)...

The customer service policies don't help - the active 'screw anyone who isn't a member' concept- exhorbitent last-minute charges, obscene inflexibility (AA insisting that I pay twice as much for half the service to 'change' my ticket and cancel the outbound leg of a round-trip ticket)...

All of these policies are 'normal' to the airline industry and travelling 'elite... congrats... this is the world you've built... I must say though - its sad (and it baffles me) how you can't see how this little club of exclusivity, priviledge and 'we'll bend you over if you're not one of us' doesn't infurate the general flying public... and I know I'm not alone in thinking that...

But you know what? Your free to run your own airline however you wish... First Class are higher margin customers... they pay more, so you'll give them better service... simple capitalism. You know what? I completely understand that, and indeed its your right...

But... you know what? First class isn't going to pay for your entire airline. The Rewards members aren't going to single-handedly push DL, UA, AA, or any other airline into the black- and they know that (well, all airlines, except perhaps the legendarily successful Primaris Wink).

For god sakes stop smearing B6 because they lack tiered service, your tiered service, your club members, your loyal fliers and your willing games players (and wannabees) sure as hell didn't keep _YOUR_ airline out of CH.11. Ok, so they're more profitable... how in god's name does that justify treating the 'cattle' like garbage when, in fact, they're the ones who are providing the majority of your revenue?

B6 offers good service to 100% of the people who step onto their planes... not exceptional service to 10% and crummy garbage to the remaining 90%... ok, you're spoiled, and nothing but exceptional service will 'do' for your exhaltedness... You know the 'deals', you know the game, and you know how to make the system work for you... great- the rest of the flying public doesn't really care- we want to go from point A to point B cheaply, easily, without BS, and you know, if you could make it a somewhat decent experience while your at it, so much the better...

Oh, and this 'business class won't fly a single-class airline' line is even even more preposterous... Most (intelligently run) businesses still do care about the bottom line... any 'business friendly' attitude you might try to project is immediately invalidated by that 500 dollar last minute ORD-SFO fare (that would ordinarily cost 120)... B6 and WN both do great B2B work because they haven't gotten in the habit of bending over last minute travellers, which is THE SINGLE most important criteria for most excel engineers... Sure, a dozen of the top execs might have ego's big enough to 'justify' the extra expense of business class... but the majority of the travelling company won't get that priviledge...

And FWIW, I'm a staunch capitalist, and a Bay area engineer who earns well into the six figures- the poster child for any one of the airlines 'reward programs'- but years of being treated like a second-class citizen have taken their toll..

/rantoff

sorry:-P

-Scott

superhub

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:16 pm

Now... tell me on which carrier could I ask them for nearly everything ???

jetBlue also provides pillows, headsets, live TV and great entertainement.

For the airlines I usually fly, CX and VS, I can ask them for the things you mentioned. They provide pillows, headsets, PTVs (no live TVs because they fly internationally) free of charge.

Services in many North American carriers have fallen so badly that people now think that the services provided by Jetblue are some kind of masterpiece. I don't think so, it is the very basic standard that EVERY airline should offer.

I also agree that Jetblue should NOT offer First Class. The First Class products offered by US airlines are so substandard compared to many other international airlines, they might as well not offer it.

[Edited 2006-01-23 08:19:39]

ikramerica

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 9):

There are seats available just about any day and returning just about any day, including a few for TOMORROW, on CO between LAX and PBI/TPA/MCO in F for $830-930 RT. Not $300 each way, but not a fortune, either. And last time I checked, not only doesn't B6 fly to LAX, but it's really hard to get to Florida outside of FLL from LA on B6 anyway, since you have to connect in JFK. And at short notice like that, well, it costs at least $605 bucks with tax. And just like CO, depending on flights, it can cost more than that.

So we are talking about $225-325 more RT for short notice F on CO versus short notice flying on B6, with less travel time and the preferred airport. And some of those segments have BusinessFirst 55" pitch sleeper seats with PTVs, not to mention great food and no requirement that you climb up a set of stairs with your luggage at the back of the plane...

But hey, B6 is a great airline. Just it isn't a BARGAIN, so stop making it out to be. And flying F in comparison is nice, even if you don't have a PTV. I prefer watching movies on my laptop rather than watching random television programming anyway, but that's just me...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

werdywerd

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:51 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 19):
requirement that you climb up a set of stairs with your luggage at the back of the plane...

You mean "Option", not a requirement at all.

but it's really hard to get to Florida outside of FLL from LA on B6 anyway,

Not after a few months pass. Again B6 is still connecting the dots and it takes time. As said above, Rome wasn't built in a day. 2006 is a hige year for b6 with many dots being connected between the west coast and southeast inclusing Florida cities. Give this deartment time, part of B6's success is taking their time before jumping into new cities and its working so far.

nwa757boy

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Quoting EridanMan (Reply 17):
how in god's name does that justify treating the 'cattle' like garbage when, in fact, they're the ones who are providing the majority of your revenue?

I believe passengers payinf for First class provide more of a revenue than those in Y.....compare- DTW-SFO first class $1,500(I paid) Yclass $250. I think I know where the revenue comes from

I am the opposite of a lot I guess....I DON'T want to fly an airline that DOESN'T offer first class....

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:59 pm

There are seats available just about any day and returning just about any day, including a few for TOMORROW, on CO between LAX and PBI/TPA/MCO in F for $830-930 RT. Not $300 each way, but not a fortune, either. And last time I checked, not only doesn't B6 fly to LAX, but it's really hard to get to Florida outside of FLL from LA on B6 anyway, since you have to connect in JFK. And at short notice like that, well, it costs at least $605 bucks with tax. And just like CO, depending on flights, it can cost more than that.

I'm not arguing that there aren't cheap F flights out there, nor am I arguing for B6. I was just saying that the guy was full of it about their being 300 first class fares.

I have found in my own experiences that 99% of the time B6 is the better fare out of RSW/FLL to my destinations.

werdywerd

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting NWA757boy (Reply 21):
I DON'T want to fly an airline that DOESN'T offer first class....

Well EXCUUUUUUSE ME! I say! That would be very beneath you...travelling with the rest of the steerage and no champaign!

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I believe passengers payinf for First class provide more of a revenue than those in Y.....compare- DTW-SFO first class $1,500(I paid) Yclass $250. I think I know where the revenue comes from

I am the opposite of a lot I guess....I DON'T want to fly an airline that DOESN'T offer first class....

Of course you are, because mommy and daddy are paying for your ticket.....

werdywerd

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:08 pm

$1,500(I paid) Yclass $250. I think I know where the revenue comes from

Wrong kind sir.

There are many less F class seats than Y class seats. Therefore your mighty $1500 didn't mean squat to the total revenue for that flight...steerage class people is where the bulk of it came from. I know you wouldn't want to believe that but it's true.

EridanMan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:15 pm

I would love to see break-downs of the average revenue of any given flight's First and economy sections- until I do I can't say for certain, but I'm willing to bet that on most flights, a majority of the revenue is coming fromt he back of the plane... (BA excepted, perhaps - since most of their plans are FC/BC). Otherwise, we'd see a lot more 'Primaris' Style (only without the vaporware) airlines.

ikramerica

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:45 pm

Profit comes from full and near full Y fares. Discounted Y seats basically cover the cost of flying the person. F of course brings in more revenue, but many F fares are some sort of upgrade, or are discounted to the point of full Y (or lower), and cost more to provide because they take up more room, more staff and catering, etc. But as has been pointed out, for some people, flying an airline with no F is a big drawback. I like the prospect of getting an F seat.

But for me, B6 doesn't work because they don't serve LA very well. And despite what people say about "just wait" it isn't going to change much. Why? because even with a few more gates at LGB and BUR, where exactly is B6 going to fly from in the LA area that lets them serve all these 'wait and see' markets I keep hearing about? Outside of JFK/BOS/EWR service, a couple flights a day to FLL doesn't cut it.

For B6 to be a realistic choice, they need to either: start a large base at LAX, or start a connecting hub somewhere in the middle of the country. Otherwise, they will always be the East Coast centric airline they are today.

I personally see Virgin America having more chance of earning my business than B6, because if they were to open up an LA base, you can bet it will be at LAX.

flightopsguy

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 27):
Profit comes from full and near full Y fares. Discounted Y seats basically cover the cost of flying the person. F of course brings in more revenue, but many F fares are some sort of upgrade, or are discounted to the point of full Y (or lower), and cost more to provide because they take up more room, more staff and catering, etc. But as has been pointed out, for some people, flying an airline with no F is a big drawback. I like the prospect of getting an F seat.

Somewhere I read that for most airlines, 80% of the revenue comes from 20% of the passengers (mostly frequent business travelers). Many research reports say the same thing...that the leisure traveler cares about price more than all other factors combined.
A300-330 BAC111/146/J31/41 B99/1900 CV580 B707-777 DC8/9/10 L188/1011 FH227/28/100 SB340 DO228 EMB2/170 CR2-900 SH330-60

Jamake1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Irregardless of airport lounges and first class cabins, I think the point needs to be made that most of the travelling public flies in economy class. Having said that, my recent experience on Jet Blue was the best economy class product that I have experienced on a U.S carrier in a very long time. I personally have grown so tired of bags of pretzels that the legacies serve and that more often than not, are left unopened and stuffed in the seat back pocktets. Jet Blue's product was different, refreshing, and very high quality. With complimentary live television at my seat, complimentary XM radio, clean headsets, and to be offered chocolate chip cookies or blue chips and mini bottles of water or cans of oj on a flight that barely broke 25 minutes of flight time...all provided in the confines of a spotlessly clean brand new airplane and served by cheery flight attendants to boot, well it was quite honestly, an exceptional experience in air travel. Will I fly them to London? No. Do they have the best frequent traveller program? Probably not. But their product was simply stellar. Enough said...
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

freakydeaky

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Flightopsguy (Reply 28):
Somewhere I read that for most airlines, 80% of the revenue comes from 20% of the passengers (mostly frequent business travelers). Many research reports say the same thing...that the leisure traveler cares about price more than all other factors combined.

I'm not naysaying you - I've heard that many times too - BUT it was always pre-911 when they were raping the business traveller. I'm not so sure it's the same these days.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 27):
For B6 to be a realistic choice, they need to either: start a large base at LAX, or start a connecting hub somewhere in the middle of the country. Otherwise, they will always be the East Coast centric airline they are today.

Ikramerica: A very valid point. However, since their current strategy is working, I don't think they should try to serve everyone. Ok, they can slowly work towards that over the next 6 years, but its best to build from strengths.

I also think the perception of B6 will change dramatically out here after they get the E190's to the West coast. However, that is not something I expect for a few years.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

Tornado82

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting B6sea (Reply 13):

LHR? What... JetBlue will not only go international, but suddenly be immune to the Bermuda II? Wow, that's one hell of a prediction... from someone drooling over B6 while being unknowledgable in the regulations and standards of flying international.  sarcastic 

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 15):
3)Seriously? What are you smoking? Again one of the major reasons for their success is that they don't fly international. International flying is a lot more expensive and taxing on crews, and equipment.

If International is so unprofitable, why is CO expanding their Int'l as quickly as they can get ETOPs 752's and widebodies, while leaving their domestic to ExpressJet or just token expansions? You're entirely wrong here... International is the most profitable business sector for any carrier worth their salt.

LGAtoIND

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
If International is so unprofitable, why is CO expanding their Int'l as quickly as they can get ETOPs 752's and widebodies, while leaving their domestic to ExpressJet or just token expansions? You're entirely wrong here... International is the most profitable business sector for any carrier worth their salt.

While international flying may be the most profitable, an airline does not have to be profitable at all to expand internationally. Look at DL, posting HUGE losses the last few years, but yet have done huge international expansion from JFK/ATL. I could be wrong on this, but I thought that except for maybe one quarter, CO has been in the red the last few years. CO can take a 757 that makes EWR-MCO runs all day, and put it on EWR-ARN, dosent mean the company is making money.

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 33):
CO has been in the red the last few years. CO can take a 757 that makes EWR-MCO runs all day, and put it on EWR-ARN, dosent mean the company is making money.

The money they are making is on the Int'l, which are profitable on their own.
What's the yield going to MCO? Next to nothing, thanks to the plethora of LCC's and the fact that it's a leisure only route.

Read what I said more closely... International is the most profitable business sector. I didn't say it is the only way for an airline to be profitable (See also: Southwest), nor did I say you are guaranteed to be profitable as a whole by running Int'l.

Besides, this was just the latest thread by the JetBlue Worshipping Agency.

richierich

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 12):
OK, so show me one, because I think you are full of it.

Don't worry about OttoPylit. He is often King of Obvious, except when it makes his beloved Delta look bad. Then it is smoke and mirrors time.

While I'm not sure of the need to post a thread about a good JetBlue experience, I think MiCorazonAzul's argument (had to go back to look up the spelling on that one) held water. First Class on legacy carriers and LCC service, such as JetBlue and AirTran, are two completely different animals, so to speak. No hot meals on JetBlue? As if that's a bad argument on your $250 coast-to-coast ticket. Sure, go ahead and get one on your legacy carrier. That FC ticket will set you back 10 times that amount. I've had plenty of hot meals on my LCC carriers... I bought them at the airport myself before boarding. Actually got what I wanted too!

I don't think an E190 is gonna cut it in GRB or DSM. I could be wrong about those small cities, but probably not.

What a dumb argument. This must be what all the LCCs have been doing wrong, not serving small Midwest cities. Most people who live in GRB would probably be happy to drive the 70 miles to Milwaukee or even the 3 hours to MDW to not have to pay the ridiculous fares the majors charge at the "local" airport. Oh sure, I didn't care what the ticket cost when my company footed the bill but most company's travel expense budget has been slashed recently. LCCs are more efficient than legacy majors, although the latter are catching up. (By the way, how is Song doing??)  Smile

Geez and I thought OttoPylit's quote was stupid. This is exactly the sort of ridiculous, snobby thing people say when they don't have to pay for their own ticket. Well, guys, unless the economy is going to do an about-face, I'd say this line of thinking is going to be in the minority for a long, long time.
None shall pass!!!!

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 35):
Oh sure, I didn't care what the ticket cost when my company footed the bill but most company's travel expense budget has been slashed recently.

70-80% of my air travel is at my own free will, and my own wallet... and I refuse to drive to the "Major LCC Airport" to save $50-100 when I've got the backyard airport waiting for me. There comes such a thing as valuing your time, and once you account for that driving to those major airports where the security lines are longer and everything else screws you big time when you look beyond the dollar sign on the website.

richierich

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 36):
and I refuse to drive to the "Major LCC Airport" to save $50-100 when I've got the backyard airport waiting for me.

If the savings were only $50-$100, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But a lot of the time, the savings can be much more substantial than this. Plus, if you count connection times from your small, backyard airport, the time difference is much less of an argument.

Take TLH, for example, an airport with no LCC service. If I was trying to get from there to IAD, I could pay through the snotter and fly via ATL or MEM. (At least one RJ flight, by the way.) I could save a ton by driving to JAX (2 hours) and flying direct on a legacy or even an LCC to BWI. When that saving becomes $400-500 round-trip, with no significant time difference - heck, it maybe faster driving to JAX- the small town airport argument becomes moot.
None shall pass!!!!

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 37):
When that saving becomes $400-500 round-trip,

Well in my no-LCC's-except-Florida-routes hometown airport, I've never seen a case where r/t would be $400 cheaper anywhere... but then again I don't buy under 2 weeks in advance typically where the fares get ridiculous... and I find nothing wrong whatsoever with RJ's that 99% of A.net is so vehemently against.

richierich

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 38):
I find nothing wrong whatsoever with RJ's that 99% of A.net is so vehemently against.

I have no real problems with RJs except that some airlines want you to sit on them for 2+ hours. Or take them to some mega-hub where you have a good chance of being delayed, losing your luggage, etc. I find it amusing that people often refer to Southwest as the "Greyhound of the skies" but in my mind, this is never more true than with a CRJ which has tight seating, no overhead space, and windows that require a hunched-back to see out of.
None shall pass!!!!

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 39):
but in my mind, this is never more true than with a CRJ which has tight seating, no overhead space, and windows that require a hunched-back to see out of.

The seat width/pitch of a CRJ is no different than any other jet out there within a few negligible fractions of an inch. My personal preference, by far, is the ERJ though due to the windows issue among others, and is the primary reason why I tend more towards CO. As for the small overheads... gate checking is far more convenient than taking 20 minutes to get in or out of the 737, et al once you land as you wait for the idiots who shoved all their worldy possessions in the overheads.

Quoting Richierich (Reply 39):
some airlines want you to sit on them for 2+ hours.

2 hours on an RJ beats a double connection or multi-stopper no matter how you stack it up. Hell, I'll sit in the A seat of an ERJ forever, compared to sitting next to often annoying strangers on a mainliner for even 1 hour.

richierich

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 40):
The seat width/pitch of a CRJ is no different than any other jet out there within a few negligible fractions of an inch. My personal preference, by far, is the ERJ though due to the windows issue among others, and is the primary reason why I tend more towards CO. As for the small overheads... gate checking is far more convenient than taking 20 minutes to get in or out of the 737, et al once you land as you wait for the idiots who shoved all their worldy possessions in the overheads.

I understand your argument but I don't agree with the comfort factor. RJs have pretty lousy comfort when you consider all the dimensions (legroom, width, aisle, etc.), not to mention the restrooms. I agree with the gate-checking versus waiting for everybody to grab their overhead belongings on a 737 - I guess that's a wash. But most RJs are not used point-to-point...rather they feed a hub from tiny markets. Granted some (RJ) service is a lot better than no service but I still don't believe driving an hour or two to (a) not fly on an RJ and (b) pay significantly less for the service is a ridiculous contemplation.
None shall pass!!!!

B777ER

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:55 am

I look forward to B6 connecting the dots so to speak. I am flying to LAS from MCO in May and wanted to go B6 (as I flew them in the past to NY and they were very good to me) but cannot justify flying all the way to JFK to get to LAS from MCO. So DL it is....any by the way...I am going in F class on DL as their Y class is just to damn small for someone 6'4". Fare by the way was around $870 roundtrip.

ikramerica

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Flightopsguy (Reply 28):

Even post 9/11, it's still likely close. Maybe 70% of revenue comes from 30% of pax. And this is REVENUE, not PROFIT. If you get 30% of revenue for 70% of pax, you can bet that they aren't even covering the cost of flying them! Otherwise all airlines would be hugely profitable...

It is, as I said, the full fare or near full fare Y ticket that makes the profit for the flight, be it on B6 or CO or what have you. Only internationally does the F or J section drive profits. Some airlines that offered F tried to cut it, thinking it would make more room for Y, but they learned you can't really do that easily if your customers expect it. Because many of the F seats are full of those lucrative full Y fare pax on free upgrade, and if you take that perk away, they WILL take their full Y fare to a carrier that offers a better one class experience (B6 for example).

As for why a company like CO has lost money the last few years but B6 only the last few months, well, it has to do with size. CO flies to more places domestically and needed to maintain that service to maintain their identity. B6 is limited, and only worried about cherry picking growth routes, and EVEN THEN, fuel prices and maintenance have caught up to B6 big time.

Quoting Richierich (Reply 35):
No hot meals on JetBlue? As if that's a bad argument on your $250 coast-to-coast ticket.

Please show me these $250 non-promotional coast-to-coast RT tickets on B6. Because if you were talking 1-way fare, every airline out there offers $500 RT coast to coast tickets, and many serve a hot meal too!

superhub

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 43):
Please show me these $250 non-promotional coast-to-coast RT tickets on B6. Because if you were talking 1-way fare, every airline out there offers $500 RT coast to coast tickets, and many serve a hot meal too!

Actually, only United serve a hot meal for free (not sure about CO though). AA does not. Delta (Song) does not.

You are certainly right about the price of Jetblue. I used to find Jetblue very cheap when they used to do $90 one-way coast-to-coast. But nowadays Jetblue tend to price in-line with legacy carriers. Sometimes Jetblue would price below legacy carriers, but the cost of ground transportation to a Jetblue airport (which costs me about $120 roundtrip) offset those savings. I guess I am "unlucky" to live nearer to a major airport than a secondary one.

richierich

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:41 am

I said $250, not $250 round trip.
Actually, most airlines do not serve you anything such as a hot lunch/dinner. The ones that do, usually, are a lot more than $500 r/t. Check it out and compare. Yes there are probably individual examples but it is generally not the case.
None shall pass!!!!

jetbluefan1

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:52 am

Please show me these $250 non-promotional coast-to-coast RT tickets on B6.

Considering that just about everything on B6 is promotional, your point really doesn't make much sense.

Just because you buy a promotional fare doesn't mean that you won't get a snack for free. Just because you buy a promotional fare doesn't mean that you won't get a seat with the extra legroom. Just because you buy a promotional fare doesn't mean that you won't watch TV for free. Just because you buy a promotional fare doesn't mean the flight attendants won't be nice nice to you. A promotional fare is just like any other fare on JetBlue - you get the same treatment as the $349 passenger.

Here are just some sample fares that I found:

JFK-LGB March 6-13 for $235.60 including taxes
BOS-OAK March 6-13 for $218.60 including taxes
BOS-SEA Feb 3-10 for $178.60 including taxes

JetBlue usually offers promotional fares because they rely on high volume to make money. Why should they change that just so that they can offer meals (that no one likes anyway)? JetBlue offers an excellent product and you can most certainly find a great fare if you search.

JetBluefan1

APFPilot1985

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:54 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):

Where did I say it was unprofitable? Obviously for a long established Legacy with a network and a diversified fleet in place it is. However going along with B6's business plane it wouldn't work. Don't put words in my mouth.

EridanMan

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 34):

Besides, this was just the latest thread by the JetBlue Worshipping Agency.

Hey, no one here forced you to click on this thread... I'm trying for the life of me to understand your obsession with poo-pooing jetBlue whenever you can- you have no 'obligation' here- don't like b6? ignore the threads.

Yeah, B6's fares often do get up to legacy cost, often more than the promotional-discount legacy fares one can find online... But, the fundamental point of this thread is that to a majority of the flying public, B6 is actually a 'premium' service... sure, its no where near the level of your average FC cabin, but it sure as hell beats the hell out of the Y-class of any other domestic carrier. For those of us who don't want to bother learning or dealing with the legacies' "games", its a consistent product that is reliably better than anything else in its price-class, even when its not the drop-dead cheapest...

(granted, the _regular_ 180 dollar RT Transcon promotional fares are nice icing on the cake Wink)