jfklganyc

AA F JFK-SFO... Amazing!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:12 am

So I finally non-revd to SFO from JFK a couple of days ago.

I wanted business, because even non-revving carries a hefty fee for first class to Cali.

But I was informed at JFK that Business Class was full and my only option was F . . . so I took it!  Smile

I must say, the service was absolutely amazing:

-Eat dinner on your own schedule
-Full menu of selections
-Warmed Nuts
-Out of the oven bread
-Shrimp over pasta for an appetizer
-Salad cart: selection of type of salad, dressings, veggies to mix in . . . Salad was made in front of you
-Choice of Beef/Roasted Chicken/Veg Ravioli for entree
-Sundae cart for desert: vanilla ice cream with various toppings and fresh fruit
-Lie flat seat
-Portable DVD players with Bose headsets in addition to the main feature

Truly amazing service on the Flagship route. It was a B767-200 with 9 seats in First.

PJ

LAXintl

RE: AA F JFK-SFO... Amazing!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:18 am

Sorry to say, however if AA's F-class service blew your socks off, suggest you try some international flying. The transcon F product is really nothing too special on the bigger scale.

As a regular monthly commuter between LA and NY, have to say the AA product continues to decline and was significantly better a few years back. Give UA's p.s. service a try next time. I'd say its business class is comparable to AAs first, while p.s. first class features international style beds.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

stealth777

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:20 am

flew that last month in Y class.. total opposite. the F/A's didnt even smile at all and they walked up and the aiesles so fast (of course the rare times they did) and you couldn't even stop them for anything.

I think if you really want to experience the airline you work for try flying the same class as the majority of people.

sorry just was not impressed at all with AA both inbound and out.

jfklganyc

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:29 am

"As a regular monthly commuter between LA and NY, have to say the AA product continues to decline and was significantly better a few years back. Give UA's p.s. service a try next time. I'd say its business class is comparable to AAs first, while p.s. first class features international style beds.'

Not to stick up for the airline that pays the salary . . . but AA has and continues to fill up widebodies on the route.

UA may have started PS, but they're service continues to decline in quantity. They are a shell of their former self in NY and on the LAX/SFO routes.

"I think if you really want to experience the airline you work for try flying the same class as the majority of people. "

I just said that the F class was amazing. Never mentioned coach. I know what coach is on AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/F9 and every other airline out there in the US.

Don't like it? Perhaps you would enjoy the coach of yesteryear if you paid $1000 for your transcon ticket. That's what a 1970s ticket would have cost you adjusted for inflation.

Until the masses are willing to do that, it won't change. That's basic economics . . . not my airline or the competitor talking.

PJ

jacobin777

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):

As a regular monthly commuter between LA and NY, have to say the AA product continues to decline and was significantly better a few years back. Give UA's p.s. service a try next time. I'd say its business class is comparable to AAs first, while p.s. first class features international style beds.

I'm a regular monthly commuter between SFO/SJC-ORD and international to LHR...while their service isn't EK, SQ, CX..its not that bad....

at least they have bloody powerports in economy!

about 85% of the F/A's aren't as bad as people make them out to be....

Quoting Stealth777 (Reply 2):

I think if you really want to experience the airline you work for try flying the same class as the majority of people.

I fly AA cattle-class...its fine...people know what to expect..they have competing fares, good ff-program and international travel....
"Up the Irons!"

B797

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting Stealth777 (Reply 2):
flew that last month in Y class.. total opposite. the F/A's didnt even smile at all and they walked up and the aiesles so fast (of course the rare times they did) and you couldn't even stop them for anything.

You can always press the button and the F/A will always come to your service. Do not expect people walk through the aisle just so you can call for there assistance.

aa1818

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 3):
"As a regular monthly commuter between LA and NY, have to say the AA product continues to decline and was significantly better a few years back. Give UA's p.s. service a try next time. I'd say its business class is comparable to AAs first, while p.s. first class features international style beds.'

Not to stick up for the airline that pays the salary . . . but AA has and continues to fill up widebodies on the route.

UA may have started PS, but they're service continues to decline in quantity. They are a shell of their former self in NY and on the LAX/SFO routes.

"I think if you really want to experience the airline you work for try flying the same class as the majority of people. "

I just said that the F class was amazing. Never mentioned coach. I know what coach is on AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/F9 and every other airline out there in the US.

Don't like it? Perhaps you would enjoy the coach of yesteryear if you paid $1000 for your transcon ticket. That's what a 1970s ticket would have cost you adjusted for inflation.

Until the masses are willing to do that, it won't change. That's basic economics . . . not my airline or the competitor talking.

PJ

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 4):
I'm a regular monthly commuter between SFO/SJC-ORD and international to LHR...while their service isn't EK, SQ, CX..its not that bad....

at least they have bloody powerports in economy!

about 85% of the F/A's aren't as bad as people make them out to be....

I agree with the both of you!!!!

FA's have been friendly, funny, smiling etc on all 12-16 of my segments in the last 6-8 months.

I fly AA very often in both economy and business and I will say that while AA perhaps isn't the best thing since sliced bread, their service does not deserve the harsh comments it gets on this forum. Life i've said before, if you want luxury then buy yourself a Bentley, fly in First class and when cruising or in hotels book only the presidential suites...you'll perhaps pay more than most people earn but that's the cost of luxury. You want to fly from MIA-LHR for university or a business meeting or family holiday then be happy with the decent service you get in coach and business. Business was really great ALL the times i've flown it and Economy while never amazing has always been more than satisfactory. Airlines are a mode of transportation- either spend the money and upgrade or DON'T FLY!!!!!!! (doubt you could really walk across the atlantic!!!!

Cheers
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

n844aa

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting B797 (Reply 5):
You can always press the button and the F/A will always come to your service. Do not expect people walk through the aisle just so you can call for there assistance.

I've always assumed that was rude, and that if I had a non-emergency that needed FA attention, I could go back to the galley for assistance. Was I wrong? Are there any FAs reading the thread that would mind commenting with their feelings on this issue?
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

radelow

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:54 pm

I flew AA last week and the service was sub-par at best. The FA's were older and all of them seemed grumpy. I still seem to have the best experience from the FA's on WN.

FYI this should be moved to Trip Reports.

swiss-airplane

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:56 pm

I flew non rev from LAX to JFK last month in F too.. service was really good (brunch service) and the FA's were all smiling.. I have flown more than 10times ZRH-JFK-ZRH and on all flights there were nice Crews..it never happened to me that all FA were grumpy on a entire flight

salso

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting N844AA (Reply 7):
I've always assumed that was rude, and that if I had a non-emergency that needed FA attention, I could go back to the galley for assistance. Was I wrong? Are there any FAs reading the thread that would mind commenting with their feelings on this issue?

I don't consider it rude, if a passenger activates a call button. I just go to their seat and inquire about their needs (that's my job), but on my airline it usually IS only used in special occurences, if not emergencies.

N1120A

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 pm

but AA has and continues to fill up widebodies on the route.

Um, you do realize that there is not the huge difference in size between the 762 and the 752 that you are insinuating. In fact, United offers 3 more First seats on their 752s than AA does on their 762s, only 6 fewer Business seats with lower yield economy seats making up the 40 seat difference.

What are you talking about? The introduction of p.s. signified a return to very high service standards on the LAX/SFO-JFK sectors. Every person on the airplane, including Y, gets full hot meals for free. AA can't say that. Neither can they say that both First and Business get personal DVD players and noise canceling headsets. Additionally, United First seat is better than either airline's international Business seat. Further, all seats on p.s. are both wider and have more pitch than their AA counterpart. The only ones who have had their service decline on the route are AA with Less Room Throughout Coach and BOB.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

hiflyer

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
What are you talking about?

Not to stick up for the airline that pays the salary . . .

He is employed by AA and believes his service is better....

DALelite

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Guys this isn't the trip report section.
Thanks

DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

UAL777UK

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:42 pm

This is a joke right...AA was amazing...oh boy you gotta laugh...stop being blinkered by the fact that this company pays your salary.

Fly UA's PS in first, the come back to the forum and eat your words. PS F & J, blow the socks off AA's product and yes i have flown both classes and would not entertain another airline on the JFK -LAX/SFO routes!!

airbazar

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:11 pm

US carriers putting their older F/A's on the longer routes has always been something of an irony to me. Why would you put the older less physical apt employers on the routes that demand the most, physically and mentally, out of your most customer facing employees? It's really just a perfect recipee for grumpy service. When you look at airlines that are preceived as having great onboard service, especially on long-haul routes, all you have to do is look at the age of their F/A's.

hiflyer

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 15):
US carriers putting their older F/A's on the longer routes

Patterns are bid by seniority...whether union or not...the longer trips generally go senior. Carriers do not 'put' F/A's on flts...they bid their trips. US Law prohibits discrimination by age as another part of the issue...an item more than a few overseas carriers do not have to contend with....such as SQ.

airbazar

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 pm

There's no need to discriminate by age. Just make physical fitness part of the requirement rather than seniority, and that ought to eliminate 90% of the old farts from the long haul routes which they obviously can't handle. Just look at their faces half way through the flightand you can tell they're wasted.

worldtraveler

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:09 pm

age has nothing to do with the quality of service. I have had some of my best flights with flight attendants that flew back when air travel was really something special. I can still recall a DL flight using an ex-Pan Am crew on an ex PA Airbus and it was unparalleled to any business class experience I've ever had anywhere. No in-seat video or fancy whistles but the service was first rate and then some. And the flight attendants had been trained to deliver the finest service back when people when airlines offered it and Americans were capable of delivering it.

VSlover

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:40 am

i miss the freshly baked on board cookies AA used to offer to F and J class on the JFK-LAX flights.

oh, and the port wine too!

though it is obviously not on the same level as international service, it is still great service and a very comfortable flight. yes, i've done p.s. which is marginally better, but as a regular on the JFK-LAX route, i have become a creature of habit (and miles).

though i must mention i was very unimpressed with the lunch choices this past week on the jfk-lax route in J.

selcalcheckok

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:53 am

It is wrong to cast an opinion over a whole airline because service was bad on a flight. There are hundreds of flights a day, all with different crews, moods, attitudes.

ck

UAL#1fan

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:32 am

AA's service BETTER than UA's coast to coast? You got to be kidding me!  rotfl 

P.S. blows AA's Flagship service out of the water, and United's coach seating is overall much better than American's.
United Air Lines -Mainliners Coast to Coast

UAL777UK

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 19):
though it is obviously not on the same level as international service, it is still great service and a very comfortable flight. yes, i've done p.s. which is marginally better, but as a regular on the JFK-LAX route, i have become a creature of habit (and miles).

Marginally better, who are you trying to kid...P.S is in a different class to AA's product and anybody who has travelled on both cannot justify coming on here and trying to argue otherwise!

UN_B732

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:45 am

Both of the F's are excellent, even though from what I've read from frequent travelers, UA's product has the touch overall.
AA is probably full thanks to a combination of non-revs, upgrades and existing corporate contracts.
-Mr. X
What now?

jacobin777

Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting UAL#1fan (Reply 21):
P.S. blows AA's Flagship service out of the water, and United's coach seating is overall much better than American's.

the problem is "at what cost"....sure AA can provide a 7 course meal with a waiter and what not...but travelers have spoken...they want "cheap, cheap, cheap, and more cheap" fares...

given the current climate, that's all AA can do..

did I say travelers want "cheap, cheap cheap, and more cheap" fares.... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

A340600

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:36 am

Additionally, United First seat is better than either airline's international Business seat.

Better than EOS's etc, really?

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):
the problem is "at what cost"....sure AA can provide a 7 course meal with a waiter and what not...but travelers have spoken...they want "cheap, cheap, cheap, and more cheap" fares...

given the current climate, that's all AA can do..

Well not it isn't. There are many other airlines around the world offering much lower fares than AA yet offering damn good onboard food etc yet they manage to turn a profit. Yes, we all know America is different but it seems the 'legacy' airlines are taking pax on a bit of a ride.

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

jmy007

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
Sorry to say, however if AA's F-class service blew your socks off, suggest you try some international flying. The transcon F product is really nothing too special on the bigger scale.

Sorry, going to half to stick up for the original poster. Most people do not get the opportunity to sit up front in F.
And when they do, it is an experience to enjoy! There's probably not too much opportunity to compare and contrast First class, and this person was enjoying himself.
Sorry, but some folks who fly often in F can take for granted the service they enjoy. And when someone talks about a once in a blue moon experience,(albeit he works for AA) posters who fly all the time dismiss it, and complain about how it used to be. Fair enough, but let the guy enjoy tell us about his flight!

I recently flew from Denver to Oakland on United, and I upgraded myself to first. I truly enjoyed myself. Warm nuts, drinks that were continually refilled, a great lunch and a very comfy seat.
I am still talking about it to anyone who will listen!

Just 2 cents from the rest of us back in coach.
 Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

aa757first

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:51 am

US carriers putting their older F/A's on thernlonger routes has always been something of an irony to me. Why wouldrnyou put the older less physical apt employers on the routes that demandrnthe most, physically and mentally, out of your most customer facingrnemployees? It's really just a perfect recipee for grumpy service. When you look at airlines that are preceived as having great onboard service, especially on long-haul routes, all you have to do is look at the age of their F/A's.

Longer flights are far less demanding than shorter ones.

If you don't like the way your flight attendant acts after a six hour JFK nto LAX, imagine what she would be like after a thirteen hour JFK - ORD - IAD - DFW - LAX.

AAndrew

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):

If I wanted to fly on a full F fare tomorrow on AA/UA from LAX to JFK, it would cost nearly $2,300 one-way. Yes, contracted rates, upgrades, etc. eat into that figure for most traveling up front. But I don't consider that "cheap" by a long stretch.
International Homo of Mystery

AA777223

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 23):
Both of the F's are excellent, even though from what I've read from frequent travelers, UA's product has the touch overall.
AA is probably full thanks to a combination of non-revs, upgrades and existing corporate contracts.
-Mr. X

It should also be noted, that upgrades are becoming more scarce. I am not sure about domestic, as when I fly those routes, I always fly AA, and I always use my stickers to upgrade, but I don't know if there is the same availablity for that type of upgrade on transcon, flagship flights. I do know that I always upgrade to AA business when I fly internationally, and doing so has started costing me $1000 roundtrip in addition to my 50,000 miles. I may be wrong as I have never done a JFK-SFO/LAX flight, but I would guess its harder to get the upgrades you refer to, than it used to be.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

N1120A

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 25):
Additionally, United First seat is better than either airline's international Business seat.

Better than EOS's etc, really?

I was speaking of UA and AA. Still, United's seat is the same as Singapore's Space Bed, which means that only VS/NZ, AC's new seat and maybe BA's Club World seat can beat it.

QXatFAT

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:08 am

3 FA's have to serve how many people in Coach? And the 1 or 2 FA's in Buis. or First have to serve how many? do the ratio my friends and you will see that the coach FA's cant serve everyone at the same time!

This comment is just for all airlines. I do not fly much on AA because I do not like there service on the ground with ticketing agents and all in LAX, ORD, SFO but my gf is a FA on the flight and I know what she has to go threw.
Don't Tread On Me!

boeingfanyyz

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:17 am

Well, I must be miles back from everyone because I was not even aware that AA had a first class service. Seeing as they dont really focus on trans-continental travel, Im surprised they have F.

I guess an airline such as AC is the opposite, as they feature their standard Executive First class on both their domestic and international flights.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

N1120A

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 32):
Well, I must be miles back from everyone because I was not even aware that AA had a first class service. Seeing as they dont really focus on trans-continental travel, Im surprised they have F.

I guess an airline such as AC is the opposite, as they feature their standard Executive First class on both their domestic and international flights.

AC's Executive First is a domestic First/International Business set up. UA and AA actually have 3 class aircraft on the LAX/SFO-JFK transcons.

jfklganyc

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:58 am

"AA's service BETTER than UA's coast to coast? You got to be kidding me!

P.S. blows AA's Flagship service out of the water, and United's coach seating is overall much better than American's. "

When the hell did I say that AA was better than UA?!? I never mentioned UA in my original post. I never mentioned coach.

I just said AA had an amazing F product on the transcon flight. It did! It does!

What the Hell is wrong with you people? seriously. Take my subscription to this stupid site an shove it. I seriously have had enough with the immature bullsh*t.

PJ

rdynyc

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:08 am

WHAT?? You haven't been following the reviews regarding the P.S. product. Celebrities are even requesting it now!

Quoting N844AA (Reply 7):
Quoting B797 (Reply 5):

FIRST OFF - BAD ATTITUDE! Flight Attendants are required to do periodic "cabin/water walks". If not for that....it's for safety!

US carriers putting their older F/A's on the longer routes has always been something of an irony to me. Why would you put the older less physical apt employers on the routes that demand the most, physically and mentally, out of your most customer facing employees? It's really just a perfect recipee for grumpy service. When you look at airlines that are preceived as having great onboard service, especially on long-haul routes, all you have to do is look at the age of their F/A's.

Airbazar....You gotta know that airlines don't "put" their cabin crew on anything. USA Airline flight attendants "bid" for their trips strictly by seniority. This is per the Union. the longer the trip, the more pay and more time off. Naturally, those F/A's who have the most years with the company prefer this. Hence, older F/A's on International trips

FL370

Mon May 01, 2006 7:22 am

ummy ya, i don't think any airline flying SFO/LAX-JFK can compare to UA's ps. PS service is amazing. i flew PS first a couple of time, really nice.

1. portable DVD
2. 3 courses in lunch/dinner, breakfast
3. lie flat seats(first) the normal bizness seats(leather) econ plus
4. great service
5. and everything in between

aa61hvy

Mon May 01, 2006 7:42 am

Get off the guy. He likes the service he got. Lay off him. Some people think UA is better some think AA is better. Everyone is entiltled to their own opinion. No one has the right to tell him what he experienced wasn't good.
Go big or go home

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:54 am

Sorry for dragging this out of the dust but does anyone know what seat AA use in the 9 seat F cabin on the 3 class 762? I can't find any pictures on here  Sad

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 23):

Well I just snagged the last seat in A Class on any of the JFK-LAX flights next Wednesday and that is before the upgrades and non-revs fill the cabin.

AA may well fill the rest of the cabin with non-revs but they are selling a fair few seats at a hefty price.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

planecrazy2

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:42 am

It is hard to find pictures of those, so I save every one I see. Here you go:

Enjoy the AA 762!
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 39):
t is hard to find pictures of those, so I save every one I see. Here you go:

Superb! Thanks  bigthumbsup 
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

crdaus

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:17 am

This just goes to show how variable AA's product is when you compare your experience with my own travelling 1st, albeit BOS-SFO (ref BOS-SFO 1st Class On AA (20 Pics) (by Crdaus Jun 1 2006 in Trip Reports)) rather than JFK-SFO. There is a huge difference in product yet the price is the same!

fbgdavidson

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 41):
There is a huge difference in product yet the price is the same!

The price is certainly not the same! JFK-LAX on the 767-200 is about $2300 each way. I've priced up itineraries for less than half that for a return journey for AA F across the country.

Certainly a premium for Flagship Service...

crdaus

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 42):
The price is certainly not the same!

Are you saying that the price of F on AA for JFK-SFO is significantly more than F on AA for BOS-SFO? These are the sectors I was comparing.

DL4EVR

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 43):
Are you saying that the price of F on AA for JFK-SFO is significantly more than F on AA for BOS-SFO? These are the sectors I was comparing.

There's about a $3000 difference. JFK-SFO is 3 class....BOS-SFO is 2 class.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

TACAA320

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 am

AA amazing ?

Have you ever flew another airline before ?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

crdaus

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 44):
There's about a $3000 difference. JFK-SFO is 3 class....BOS-SFO is 2 class.

I think this is very misleading of AA to have two different F class offerings on similar sectors. This vindicates my decision when travelling on a OneWorld RTW F ticket, to avoid AA whenever possible. Next time I go across the US continent, if I have to fly AA I will go via JFK because on the RTW ticket BOS-JFK-SFO is the same cost as BOS-SFO.

iowaman

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Thread starter):
Warmed Nuts

I've heard this mentioned before.. WTF is the big deal if your freakin nuts are warm (no, not the perverted way  ) ?!?!

[Edited 2006-07-07 10:44:31]

jyatlantic

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 am

UA P.S. still rules. Every flight ex JFK to SFO and LAX have the three classes.

RIght now Im in the Lufthansa First Class Terminal...AMAZING... Star Alliance rules!!!! Ill get a trip report JFK to FRA when I get back home.

miaskies

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 pm

People can be such idiots sometimes... let the guy enjoy his flight on AA ! Glad you liked...nice report.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!