crdaus

BOS-SFO 1st Class On AA (20 Pics)

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:12 pm

This is the 2nd instalment of my 1st class Circle Pacific trip: MEL-LAX-JFK-BOS-SFO-HKG-MEL, on QF-AA-CX-QF 5th – 22nd May 2006. See my 1st instalment at MEL-LAX-JFK 1st Class On QF (lots Of Pics) (by Crdaus May 27 2006 in Trip Reports).

After arriving in the late afternoon at JFK, the transfer to the AA terminal for boarding the American Eagle “puddle jumper” to BOS was swift with the efficient inter terminal rail system, but e-ticket check-in was messy as previously reported. Also, my boarding pass had the dreaded SSSS code meaning that I got the full security treatment before boarding. This type of screening seems to be routine for the first AA flight taken by anyone originating from outside the US. Otherwise, the quick flight up to BOS on an RJ135 was uneventful, arriving at my hotel on the Cambridge side bank of the Charles river in the late evening some 25 hours elapsed since boarding in MEL.

View of Boston across Charles river from my hotel room

BOS that weekend was sunny and warmish.

Boston Common

Boston’s Commonwealth Avenue

Unfortunately the weather turned wet and cold after that though.

BOS-SFO, AA183 1st class. I now know that AA stands for “Awful Airlines” because that is what they are. While the Admirals Club at BOS had nice enough surroundings, the lack of anything substantial in the way of refreshments makes me question the value of the lounge.

Not much refreshment on offer at Boston’s Admiral’s club

At least the club’s surroundings seemed in keeping with the Boston image

The flight itself was appalling, considering this is a 6 hour trans continental flight at peak time, i.e. early morning departure for lunchtime arrival in SFO.

Menu and barlist

Brunch

Closeup of that omelette. Ugh!

Where’s my milk, Mommy?

The food offered was a basic breakfast followed by afternoon tea consisting of a warm cookie with milk! Do they think we are children? Mind you, only a child would feel comfortable in the 1st class seats, the pitch is so miserable – my knees were touching the seat in front of me. I was so pleased that I had flown QF on the LAX-JFK route rather than AA. I rate AA the worst of the OneWorld partners and should be avoided on OneWorld tickets wherever possible.

Somewhere transcontinental USA

Final approach at SFO

Landing at SFO

Taxi to SFO gate

My favourite lunch place, Mocca, in San Francisco in Maiden Lane

Mocca serves a delicious salad of Tortellini and Shrimps

Typical lunch of turkey sandwich plus shrimp salad at Mocca

My 3rd instalment of my Circle Pacific trip for the return journey to MEL via HKG will feature in a separate report to be posted soon. Note: photos in this report were taken with a Pentax Optio A10 8 megapixel camera.

VHVXB

RE: BOS-SFO 1st Class On AA (20 Pics)

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:19 pm

Wow great trip report nic pics too. Can't wait for your next one.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:48 pm

Nice report! Good pics of Boston.
I love to fly!

ANNOYEDFA

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:48 am

Is there ever anything people don't complain about?
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

StuckInCA

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting ANNOYEDFA (Reply 3):
Is there ever anything people don't complain about?

Are you including yourself in that ANNOYEDFA?  Smile

More seriously though, I think AA is alright. I fly them most often (dictated by my company) and really find nothing wrong with them. Granted, transcon AA is NOT likely comperable to longhaul QF. If the OP was expecting it to be then I'm sure the disappointment was profound. AA longhaul first would probably be a little less disappointing.

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:11 am

Great pics! I'm on AA183 in F myself a couple of times this summer so you've just ruined the excitement of doing something different from my usual BA hops  Wink

I'm staying at the Hilton right by the airport, how much time should I leave myself to get airside and settle into the AC at that time of the morning? I've got access thanks to my BA EC card...

Also was FEBO observed? Service from the back in this case since it was an odd numbered flight?

Thanks!

Also expect a report from my first trip which has turned from RIC-BOS-SEA-BOS-RIC into RIC-BOS-SFO-SEA-SFO-BOS-LGA-RIC  biggrin  It has got so daft I am going to try and enjoy the novelty of such a roundabout itinerary!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jaysit

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:25 am

That omelette didn't look too bad.

Its domestic First Class. You can't expect caviar and champagne and dancing girls feeding you grapes.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

airxliban

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:54 am

I think its quite appalling that they have a meat option for breakfast; or, for that matter, an alternative to the omelette. And this is supposed to be Boston where they've surely got the catering staff for transatlantic 777 flights with proper First Class.

Thanks for the report and nice pics. What sort of aircraft were you on?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

LH459

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:34 am

Very nice report, you captured the crAAptacular AA experience perfectly. Of course, we're all used to it by now. I also enjoyed your pics of Boston/Cambridge (where I lived for 5 years) and your lunchtime pics from San Francisco (where I live now). I've never tried Mocca, but I will take your recommendation and give it a try soon.  Smile
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 7):
What sort of aircraft were you on?

My flights (also AA183) are showing up as a 757.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

zrs70

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:54 am

How can the OP compare a domestic AA 757 BOS-SFO to an international QF 744 LAX-JFK?????? Apples and oranges.

Mind you, QF would still win when compared to an international AA 777 in F. But you have line up the ducks evenly.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

alaskaqantas

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 am

very nice report-
loved the photos and review of AA. I havn't had the best expeirence with them, so I'd have to agree with you!
what airline is your second part on?
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

alaskaqantas

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:30 am

very nice report-
loved the photos and review of AA. I havn't had the best expeirence with them, so I'd have to agree with you!
what airline is your third part on?
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.

jumbo747

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 6):

I flew UA (First Class service) last year from SFO to ANC. It was nearly 5 hours flight. Menu had more options and the food was greater than what it looks here. Seat was comfy as well.  Smile

crdaus

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 5):
how much time should I leave myself to get airside and settle into the AC at that time of the morning?

I allowed a couple of hours, but it wasn't necessary. BOS was not crowded and I was in the lounge within minutes. I think 60 minutes would be ample given you are staying at the airport.

Also was FEBO observed?

I am not sure. I was in the second row on the right but didn't have to wait long for the food service.

crdaus

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 7):
What sort of aircraft were you on?

It was a 757, as you can see from the brunch picture where the 757 brochure is in the seat pocket.

crdaus

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 12):
what airline is your third part on?

My 3rd instalment of this trip report (to be posted in a few days) describes the excellent 1st class service on CX (SFO-HKG) and QF (HKG-MEL).

travatl

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Good trip report (and your QF report was honestly one of the best I've ever read). However, a coupla questions (and they can be answered by any one on here).

1. What were your honest expectations of domestic transcon first class offerings these days?

2. You, and many have noted that American is "awful" or abyssmal...which implies some comparison to others who really stand out. International carriers aside (obviously they are catering to pax who are going to be spending not only a lot more time, but a lot more money with them), what US carriers, in your opinion, stand out in this market, and why?

- Travis

COERJ145

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm

I'm staying at the Hilton right by the airport, how much time should I leave myself to get airside and settle into the AC at that time of the morning? I've got access thanks to my BA EC card...

I'd personally reccomend leaving 2 hours prior if you want to do some flightspotting.

Quoting Crdaus (Thread starter):
Mind you, only a child would feel comfortable in the 1st class seats, the pitch is so miserable – my knees were touching the seat in front of me.

I am 5ft 8 and I find AA's 757 FC seats to be quite comfterble. I would agree that AA needs to install new FC seats in the 757s. Also, if you find AA to be sucky, try UA P.S. service in FC, much better from what I hear.

airnewzealand

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:33 pm

Just a quick msg. Fantastic report! Both Qantas and this one!!

As a flight attendant for Qantas, im pleased you enjoyed the service. We usually only hear the bad these days, and with our CEO calling us "the evil ones" it doesnt do alot for our moral!!!

Look for changes once again within the first and business cabins rolling out in NOV... they are alot nicer again! (but harder on the crew).

Also eagerly awaiting your CX and QF comparisons in first class...

Just to highlight...We have 2 flight attendants for P/C...where as CX have 4!!! lets see the difference in service...

Thanks once again for the positive comments, glad you enjoyed Qantas.

PS: In regards to first class...within Aus we dont have P/C... but our prodiuct is still better or the same as this in J/C...

Cheers

Somme Aus. Kiwis really dont know what they get onboard our aircrafts and AirNZ for that matter!

tbear815

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:42 pm

This gap in the Oneworld ticket just goes to show how far behind the US based carriers are when compared with their foreign partners. Every phase of service as concerns the passenger is treated as "us against them." Where I work, a staff meeting has become a "leaders" meeting. It demoralizes all the line employees while the "leaders" pat themselves on the back for a job well done (?). Regretably, this is the mentality in the US today. Very demoralizing to be a part of the "followers." I'm looking forward to fbgdavidson's trip report on this US journey.

UA has started ps service between JFK and LAX/SFO. It's gotten very good reviews, but still needs some refining around the edges. AA has a very long way to go to even try to catch up with UA's transcon product. However, just compare US flag carriers' services with domestic first on QF. As I said earlier, this is what it was like in the glory days of the US carriers. When are the powers that be going to find people like myself that can give them the upper edge in service and cuisine quality? This type of service attracts the high end passenger and those where money is no object. Oh yes, and think in terms of cost containment. A lot of things are happening in the industry. Use some of us experienced travelers/managers to make it all work. Fresh-out-of-college marketing MBA's haven't a clue. They've been inundated with theory all through school rather than the reality of day-to-day operations and load factors. And, by damn, some of those passenger loads want some service from their chosen airline. Things could be so different if some of the marketing bean counters took a break.

Oh well. the management bigboys never really listen to what the public thinks, so we'll be stuck with what we've got til little Johnnie earns his golden parachute and moves on to screw yet another company over.

Hey airlines - take heed. Some of your best and brightest are sitting on shelves and sidelines waiting for your new high-techies to build a better airline. Try as they build, it won't come together for lack of experience. We're the only country in the world that "disposes" of our elders. Most countries revere them and appreciate what they did to make them grow. It's merely a work ethic that has simply vanished. I guess that happened with the advent of the "me" generation! The world of passenger aviation in the United States has hit rock bottom - I liken them to Greyhound.

At one point, flying was something very special. I think the colloqial term for "flying" now is "cattle car." With the seating and legroom, maybe the cabins would stay cleaner if we covered the floor with sawdust, so the aircraft would look presentable to boarding passengers - after the sawdust had been vacuumed up (probably by the weary F/A).

Sorry for rattling on - our airlines here are in very sorry states of affairs. I'm sure Patterson, Rickenbacher, Trippe, Six, Drinkwater, et al, are rolling in their graves. The legacies they left are merely tatters of what they were - that is, if they still exist......But then again, who cares anyway these days...Sad, but true.

Rod  sarcastic 

SASDC8

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for a another great report Crdaus! Really enjoyed both the AA and QF report and I am really looking forward to the CX report as well.

It has been a couple of years since I last flew domestic first on AA, but it looks like their product has gone from ok to bad. Being a Star member I now fly UA/US on all my domestic flights and they (at least UA) seems to have a better product Smile

Stein
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

crdaus

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Travatl (Reply 17):
1. What were your honest expectations of domestic transcon first class offerings these days?

What I was expecting was at least to sit comfortably in the seat. While I can put up with restricted leg room on a short flight of one to two hours, a six hour flight is another matter. If I had to pay separately for a US domestic sector I would get the cheapest economy seat available. There is no point in paying a premium for 1st class, at least not on AA. It seems to me that AA, a "legacy" airline is trying to compete with the cheap start-ups but is downgrading their service in the process. QF is also a "legacy" airline, but it competes with the cheap start-ups by starting a fully owned cheap start-up of its own offering no frills and cheap seats but with no "legacy" rules regarding the staff it employs - so it stays in business. It does this domestically with its Jetstar subsidiary and will soon do it with an international equivalent. Meanwhile, QF seems to be heading "up market", offering a premium service at a price, but one I am willing to pay. It seems to me AA should be doing something similar rather than trying to be the airline equivalent of a McDonald's.

AA737-823

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:10 pm

I'm no AA fan, but seriously... when your favorite airlines (QF and CX I think?) are on the brink of extinction, THEN you can get back to me.

If you haven't heard lately, all but two of our majors have been in bankruptcy recently... that'd be AA and CO. Well, I guess we have to count WN even though they don't have international service.

So, as much as service HAS declined (it was within my lifetime that those pics you posted could have come from COACH class!), American is clearly doing something correctly, because they haven't followed United, Delta, US, Northwest, ATA, et al into bankruptcy.

Next time, try CO or UA. I know, not OneWorld... but who likes One World anyway??  Smile

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:00 am

This type of screening seems to be routine for the first AA flight taken by anyone originating from outside the US.

It's not. My first AA sector in the USA was LAX-JFK also in First, after arriving from LHR with BA. I did six sectors on AA and never had SSSS on my boarding pass.

Mind you, only a child would feel comfortable in the 1st class seats, the pitch is so miserable – my knees were touching the seat in front of me.

Are you very tall? I flew AA First / Business on the 767, 757, 737 and MD80 series and I found the legroom to be ample.

I'm astonished, quite frankly, that you had such a low opinion of your flight. Your pictures brought back what I liked about AA First - simple, elegant china, and the utensils wrapped with the napkin. I presume you didn't have coffee or tea in an AA mug? Were your Flight Attendants nice?

I will agree that the food offerings in the AA lounges pales in comparison to other oneworld airlines lounges (notably CX and BA). Did you have a drink? If you're a QF FF you can ask for drinks vouchers upon entering the lounge.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

alaskaqantas

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Crdaus (Reply 22):
than trying to be the airline equivalent of a McDonald's.

that is funny mate!

AA has declined and I try not to fly on them when I get the chance.

Quoting Travatl (Reply 17):
, what US carriers, in your opinion, stand out in this market, and why?

WELL, in my opinion, AS is the best american based airline, with continental in second, but yes I'd say Alaska Air is the best... great food (yeah you actualy get food Wink) and when you go to buy your ticket sometimes it'll say that in coach you only get a snack, well that "snack" is a hot meal most of the time. I've sat up front and gotten food when I didn't think I would. the seats are comfy, FANTASTIC staff, there are always the few that bring the airline down, but AMAZING airline, I just feel bad for there finacial position... BUMMER
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
I'd have to agree your QF part was one of the best reports I've read! can't wait for the next

ClassicLover

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 25):
WELL, in my opinion, AS is the best american based airline, with continental in second, but yes I'd say Alaska Air is the best... great food (yeah you actualy get food ) and when you go to buy your ticket sometimes it'll say that in coach you only get a snack, well that "snack" is a hot meal most of the time. I've sat up front and gotten food when I didn't think I would. the seats are comfy, FANTASTIC staff, there are always the few that bring the airline down, but AMAZING airline, I just feel bad for there finacial position... BUMMER

I flew YVR-LAX in First - no food. The sector was over two hours. On AA, I would have had a meal. A real shame as I wanted to try Alaska's offerings. I got lots of drinks though!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

COERJ145

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 26):
I flew YVR-LAX in First - no food. The sector was over two hours. On AA, I would have had a meal. A real shame as I wanted to try Alaska's offerings. I got lots of drinks though!

What was your flights departure time? If it was after normal meal "windows" then the airlines are not obligated to provide food.

767er

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Tbear815 (Reply 20):
Sorry for rattling on - our airlines here are in very sorry states of affairs. I'm sure Patterson, Rickenbacher, Trippe, Six, Drinkwater, et al, are rolling in their graves. The legacies they left are merely tatters of what they were - that is, if they still exist......

Rod

Good point.....service on US airlines is just in tatters. They have no one to blame but themselves!

Thank god there are still quality airlines on the skies...SQ, NZ , BA, QF, CX, VS. Unforunately for Americans who only domestic they have to put up with rubbish like NW, AA, HP
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

zrs70

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:40 pm

followed by afternoon tea consisting of a warm cookie with milk! Do they think we are children?

I don't know anyone of any age who does not enjoy and appreciate milk and cookies. Wait, take that back, the OP doesn't!

I'm not sure why so mnay here are gushing over this trip report! It sounds pretty petty to me!

A340600

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:45 am

Its domestic First Class. You can't expect caviar and champagne and dancing girls feeding you grapes.

But don't you expect a bit more class? Anyway i'm not going into a moan about AA F, can't be bothered,

Nice trip report, look forward to next part,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

crdaus

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:22 am

The 3rd and final instalment of my Circle Pacific trip covering SFO-HKG-MEL on CX and QF is now posted at SFO-HKG-MEL 1st Class On CX And QF (43 Pics) (by Crdaus Jun 5 2006 in Trip Reports)

abrelosojos

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:39 am

= Typical NYC jadedness  Smile ... priceless! Anyways, I dont think AA F is anything special. UAL has the only decent product domestically on their PS flights ... however, for some reason EVERY crew I have had on PS has been aloof and not friendly. I actually prefer flying UAL's Y+.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 23):
when your favorite airlines (QF and CX I think?) are on the brink of extinction, THEN you can get back to me.

= Well, time will tell. Both seem to do well money wise and CX maintains a superb product.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

QANTAS077

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:43 am

maybe you should fly United then...i choose them for coast to coast and there business class is far better then AA's first class. meal choices which are usually 3 courses, excellent beverages and enough room to park a car. i'd not fly any other carrier across coast to coast.

Milesdependent

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:39 pm

Great report, with which I compeltely agree. In the USA people are becoming all too accepting of an inferior premium product. In Asia, Australia, Europe or anywhere else - a 6 hour flight in F would have unfolded a lot differently.

Americans always say "our airlines are bankrupt - they can't afford to upgrade". Yep, true. But they need to provide a decent product for people to spend $$$ on the premium cabins. I have no problem flying J around Asia or Australia, but in the USA I will always opt for the cheapest fare.

But the biggest problem is preium cabins are so heavily occupied by people upgrading using miles. So, there is no additional revenue to overhaul the product. The answer would be to restrict upgrades and provide a better product for which people will pay. But, upgrading is such a cultural thing in the USA, and no airline in their right mind would cut this benefit, because then ALL their pax would head elsewhere.

A big big catch-22, and I have no idea how to solve it. I don't think anyone does!

I think comfort on AA F for longer flights depends on a/c type. I have flown 763 ORD-LAX in F and it was fantastic. However, I have also flown the M80 in F numerous times and it is a disgrace. I have always found the service to be good, but I know a lot of people would disagree - I think I've been lucky. The food, well, its OK.

dj1986

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting MilesDependent (Reply 34):
But the biggest problem is preium cabins are so heavily occupied by people upgrading using miles. So, there is no additional revenue to overhaul the product. The answer would be to restrict upgrades and provide a better product for which people will pay. But, upgrading is such a cultural thing in the USA, and no airline in their right mind would cut this benefit, because then ALL their pax would head elsewhere.

Yes exactly. Sometimes I also think that US carriers upgrade pax frequently without them "paying" any miles just because their Economy Class is booked tight. But that is not were the money comes from.
US Airways I miss you!

EIPremier

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:14 pm

AA's F service on a three class aircraft (i.e. JFK-LAX 762) would be much nicer than what you received. It looks like you had the old First Class seats on the 757. Personally I like the F seats on the 737-800 better as far as narrowbodies go. I agree the AA domestic F service is nothing special, but I'd say really only CO and UA's PS product are superior.

christao17

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:55 am

Nice report with some very good pictures. While some people have slammed your critique of AA's First Class product, I think your opinion is fully justified.

Well, let's see. If not caviar and champagne (and just why can't he expect champagne in First Class on a 6-hour flight - that isn't so unreasonable), how about a light salad or a small sandwhich before landing instead of a cookie? Or perhaps a third entree choice? Small refinements that would make a big difference in the customer's perception.

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 10):
How can the OP compare a domestic AA 757 BOS-SFO to an international QF 744 LAX-JFK?????? Apples and oranges.

Um, you can compare apples and oranges - there are some similarities. While AA domestic First may not be the same thing as QF International First, given that they are in the same alliance there should be some comparison between the quality of service given in both flights. Major discrepancies weaken the alliance from a customer's perspective.

Quoting MilesDependent (Reply 34):
Americans always say "our airlines are bankrupt - they can't afford to upgrade". ...
But the biggest problem is preium cabins are so heavily occupied by people upgrading using miles. ...
A big big catch-22, and I have no idea how to solve it. I don't think anyone does!

Serious rationalisation of FF programmes needs to be done by the US legacy carriers. One idea that I think would work wonders is to borrow the model used by Hotel frequent guest programmes: your elite status level (silver, gold, etc) is based on the number of flights you take; your mileage accrued is based on dollars spent.

• Upgrades to premium cabins should be done using miles (earned by dollars spent, not miles flown), no other certificates or freebies.
  • Preffered seat assignments in ticketed cabin go to elite customers (based on number of flights flown) and customers who have purchased full (or higher-priced) fare categories.

Benefits:

• A frequent traveller who is contributing more heavily to the airline's revenue will have elite status and will earn more miles (more dollars spent), so can more easily upgrade.
  • A frequent traveller who chases only the lowest fares will be able to enjoy the perks of elite status but will earn fewer miles because less money has been spent, meaning fewer free tickets or upgrades.
  • The occassional traveller who pays high fares can enjoy preffered seating because of his/her fare category, and will earn more miles because more money has been spent, but will not achieve elite status because he/she isn't a frequent flier.
  • The occassional traveller who is chasing bargains will not have status and will earn fewer miles, which is fine because he/she isn't the type of traveller being targetted by the airline.

Cradus, sorry for totally hijacking the thread, but I've been giving some thought to the FF dilema and based on MilesDependent's comments it seemed like a good time to chime in.

I look forward to the next report!

Cheers,
Chris
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...

zrs70

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 37):
Um, you can compare apples and oranges - there are some similarities. While AA domestic First may not be the same thing as QF International First, given that they are in the same alliance there should be some comparison between the quality of service given in both flights. Major discrepancies weaken the alliance from a customer's perspective.

Understood. But....
So should I compare my QF Sydney-Brisbane flight to my BA Concorde flight?

Or how about my SQ LAX-NRT 747 F flight to my NH HND-KIX 747 F flight?

Perhaps my KE 747 JFK-ICN F flight to my CO EWR-CLE F flight?

Lufthansa747

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:00 am

Where do you all get this idea he is comparing apples to oranges? IMHO, the OP just stated it made much more sense to fly QF to JFK and take the ERJ to BOS than go directly with AA.

Honestly, that tired looking omelette is worse that SQ Y meals on the 1h50min BKK-SIN run - but wait - at least AA has a blue tablecloth.

QF F looks very nice - much better than my impression was before reading your reports. Too bad Z is never available on BKK-SYD. Thanks for the reports.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

christao17

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 38):
Understood. But....
So should I compare my QF Sydney-Brisbane flight to my BA Concorde flight?
Or how about my SQ LAX-NRT 747 F flight to my NH HND-KIX 747 F flight?
Perhaps my KE 747 JFK-ICN F flight to my CO EWR-CLE F flight?

Your examples above (at least #2 and #3) compare short domestic flights with long international flights. Those really are appleas and oranges.

In your original question, you suggested that AA First BOS-LAX and QF First LAX-JFK were "apples and oranges". But they are similar stage lengths in the same domestic marketplace, so they are more like two different types of apples than apples and oranges.

Will QF First probably a bit nicer than AA First? Sure. But if I'm a OneWorld pax who has booked a First class ticket from SYD-LAX-JFK-BOS and then BOS-LAX-SYD return, I'd be a bit disappointed if I experienced wildly different service levels on two different OneWorld partners while flying the LAX-JFK and BOS-LAX segments. Consistency is important.

To be clear, I'm not saying that all alliance partners have to be 100% exactly the same in a given service class, but as a frequent flier I would expect greater consistency in service quality.

Door5Right

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:11 pm

Great pictures and report. The Admiral Club in Boston sure looks very inviting....
My soul is in the sky...

zrs70

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:26 am

I'

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 40):
Your examples above (at least #2 and #3) compare short domestic flights with long international flights. Those really are appleas and oranges.

Fair enough! I'll compare SQ's ZRH-MAN in a C to BD's BRU-LHR in C. Flights are about the same length!

Seriously, I understand your point. All I'm saying is that it isn't really fare to compare an internationally configured aircrafy to a domestic one. Additionally, QF is not authorized to fly local traffic on the JFK-LAX route, unless the pax is on an international itinerary. So it is not considered in competition with AA on this route.

christao17

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:32 am

Zrs70 - I understand what you're saying, too, and that is a fair point.

We can probably both agree that there are reasonable differences to expect between domestic F service and international F service, as well as an importance for carriers in the same alliance or doing code shares to ensure some sort of service consistency (to an appropriate extent) so that customers don't have a "hot and cold" experience.

Cheers,
Chris