SouthwestMDW
Topic Author

ORD-JFK On JetBlue's First ORD Flight (pics)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:43 am

Having booked this flight a long time ago, I was ready to be on the first flight. Stayed overnight at the Sheraton Gateway Suites O'Hare, a nice hotel with a good price. We took the airport shuttle to O'Hare that departed at 6:40am and arrived at ORD Terminal 2 at 6:55am.

Upon entering Terminal 2, we found the jetBlue ticket counters next to US Airways. We quickly got our boarding passes (which were different - they were printed horizontally on reciept paper!) Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />

We cleared security and headed to jetBlue's only gate, Gate E8. There were not many passengers at the time, but crew members were quickly setting up the gate.

Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />
--
--
--
An annoucement was overheard that Chicago's Mayor Daley will be coming to give a press conference, and soon enough, they were setting up his podium and all the news anchors from around the area came and started to set up as well.
--
Mayor Daley started a press conference and began to talk. Pretty soon, jetBlue founder and CEO David Neeleman went up and began to talk It was pretty exciting. After that, the camera crew left to check out the interior of the plane and Mr. Neeleman walked around the gate. I talked to him a bit (he is a very nice guy) and he signed my boarding pass. How fitting.
--
Then, the moment everybody was waiting for happened. The plane was arriving and the fire trucks were ready. The first jetBlue flight to ORD had landed and was making it's way. It seemed like the entire terminal was pressing up against the window.

--
--
--
--
--

As we waited to board, jetBlue provided us with free donuts (with blue frosting!) and coffee. Finally, the time had come to board. We got on the plane and there were many seats to spare because it was originally an E190 but had a last minute change to an A320.

jetBlue Airways flight 904
Chicago O'Hare - New York JFK
STD: 9:25am
STA: 12:45pm
ATD: 9:52am
ATA: 12:35pm
Airbus A320

We took off a little late, but it was fine. The DirecTV service was not working very well, but came on about 45 minutes into the flight. This plane had both DirecTV and XM Satellite Radio. The crew was great and came around with drinks and I had an Orange Juice.

--
They came around with their signature snack basket, and I chose the Terra Blue chips. They sure are blue. They are good though.

The flight continued very well and was very smooth, pretty uneventful.

--
--
--

We landed in New York and left at Gate 10 in Terminal 6. A smiling flight attendant handed out chocolate candies as we deplaned. I really enjoyed my jetBlue experence. We headed out into New York until arriving back at JFK around 6pm for our flight home.
---------------------------------
Checked in around 6:15pm at a kiosk and headed to the gate. We got news that due to weather, departure time was moved until 11:15pm. We sat inside the terminal, got dinner, and waited.
--

jetBlue has nice departure information screens including where all the inbound flights are. We waited around Gate 2 for the flight back to ORD to board.

jetBlue Airways flight 919
STD: 8:00pm
STA: 9:40pm
ATD: 10:49pm
ATA: 1:00am
A320, N644JB, "Blue Loves Ya, Baby"

Due to bad weather in Chicago, the flight was delayed. After being roughly four hours late, the flight was flawless. It was the same, but with no XM radio. We got drinks and snacks and landed at O'Hare at exactly 1:00am. Deplaned into a very empty Terminal 2. Headed home and arrived at 3:00am. It was a nice flight. I throughly enjoyed jetBlue and can't wait to fly them again.

DALelite

RE: ORD-JFK On JetBlue's First ORD Flight (pics)

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:19 am

What an expirience, to have the boarding card signed by the CEO and founder of the company!

I enjoyed your trip report. thanks for sharing.

cheers DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

msnyx

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:45 am

Wow, I was hoping to be on that flight myself, but something came that prevented me from booking that trip. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quoting DALelite (Reply 1):
boarding card

I would not go so far as calling that a "boarding card." It is just a crappy piece of receipt paper.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me

Boston92

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting MSNYX (Reply 2):
I would not go so far as calling that a "boarding card." It is just a crappy piece of receipt paper.

I bet the TSA agents were like , "What the hell is this", when he walked through!

Great Report though.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

SouthwestMDW
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 3):
I bet the TSA agents were like , "What the hell is this", when he walked through!

Actually, they were. Since we were some of the first people to check-in, they had never seen a boarding pass that way, and she didn't like it at all.

tsaord

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Then those folks have been in T2 too long and need to bid out! Spirit in T3 uses those receipt like boarding passes as well and its nothing new around these parts!

Great report! I wanted to be there but I was home sleep lol. I like being around inagural flights at ORD!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

777fan

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting SouthwestMDW (Thread starter):
We took off a little late, but it was fine. The DirecTV service was not working very well, but came on about 45 minutes into the flight.

Due to bad weather in Chicago, the flight was delayed. After being roughly four hours late, the flight was flawless. It was the same, but with no XM radio.

Great report- it certainly sounds like it was an experience. The lack of DTV on the outbound leg and XM radio on the return leg is somewhat ironic considering that some a.netters were touting those amenities as reasons for choosing B6 over the legacy carriers!!! I also can't help but pointing out the weather delay - what a perfect way to say "welcome to ORD"!!!

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Boston92

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 6):
what a perfect way to say "welcome to ORD"!!!

checkmark 
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Mexicana757

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:51 am

Good trip report. Nice to see to you got your boarding receipt signed by David Neeleman.  thumbsup 

Quoting 777fan (Reply 6):
what a perfect way to say "welcome to ORD"!!!

Now they know what to expect when the weather is crap at ORD.

WN230

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:39 pm

That was a great tr onboard a great airline.  bigthumbsup 
I really thought this was one of the best parts of your tr.

I talked to him a bit (he is a very nice guy) and he signed my boarding pass. How fitting.

Was he on your flight?

WN230
Judas Priest North American tour in '08 . . . cannot wait!!!

SouthwestMDW
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting WN230 (Reply 9):
Was he on your flight

No, he was not on my flight, because he stayed at ORD for the first flight to LGB later that day, but he came on and talked on the PA and wished us a pleasant flight.

irelayer

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Wow, great TR. jetBlue is going to do well from ORD, I can feel it.

-IR

exFATboy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:08 am

Great report! And you got to meet Neeleman, sweet!

Quoting MSNYX (Reply 2):

It's a boarding pass, it gets you on the plane. Who cares what kind of paper it's printed on?

AA757BOY

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting MSNYX (Reply 2):
It is just a crappy piece of receipt paper.

Yeah, I always thought this is cheap. I have never even flown B6 however I really would like to give them a try sometime. Since Song is gone, they really should come to BDL because I think they would do well in the Florida market. Im sure they would be better than stupid WN.

JetBlueGuy2006

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Great Report, I really hope they will make an enterance into Michigan, I will book myself on the first flight maybe with someone else to explore NYC for the day just as you did.

Thanks for the report and pics
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

phatfarmlines

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Good TR.

Quoting SouthwestMDW (Reply 4):
Quoting Boston92 (Reply 3):

Actually, they were. Since we were some of the first people to check-in, they had never seen a boarding pass that way, and she didn't like it at all.

Several years ago, MCO required that ALL airlines issue standard boarding passes after 9/11 in order for pax to get through security. MCO did not include in the language of the requirement that a substitute could be used, so B6 was required to use a standard boarding pass as opposed to the "grocery-store" receipt. I believe MCO has since revisited the policy with B6 and has been since changed.

With regards to the receipt, I do recommend on future B6 flights to ask the ticket agent to staple the receipts to a comment card or AMEX brochure as they can be very easy to lose, since most passengers are holding the receipts in their hands as opposed inside pockets.

777fan

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 am

Just came across a Chicago Tribune review of the inaugural flight:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel....story?coll=chi-homepagetravel-hed

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

MCOflyer

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Wonderful TR. I've heard Mr. N is a good guy and am glad someone confirms it.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

FutureFO

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:36 pm

MCO sees so many types of boarding passes that the NK and B6 passes get thru with no problem.
I Don't know where I am anymore

altairF28

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 am

Nice TR. I was on 644JB last month and it has XM-was it just not working (and did they say why it wasn't)?
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

SouthwestMDW
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Altairf28 (Reply 19):
(and did they say why it wasn't)?

The pilots just came on and said that "It was temperamental on this aircraft"

The DirecTV wasn't working for a while, but the XM was though.

September11

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Flying on any inaugural flight is memorable, obviously. I liked the water cannon salute photo. Interesting trip report to read.
Airliners.net of the Future