falstaff

First Flying Lesson/flight Out Of ARB

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:36 am

This is not exactly a traditional trip report, but I just had to post something about this and I didn't know where to put it.

I took my first flight lesson today in a Cessna 172 out of Ann Arbor (ARB). I
really liked it. I will definately be flying again. The weather was sunny, but cold. About 26 degrees F. After a preflight inspection and general Q&A about the airplane we took off. My instructor Doug Kovach knew is business and we rolled down the runway. We went up to around 2000 feet and he gave my the controls. I followed I-94 to about Marshall, Michigan and turned around and headed home. I have flown in commercial airplanes hundreds of times, but never did I have a view and an experience like the one I had today. I planned on learning to fly 10 years ago when I was in college, but I changed schools and I got busy. I can't believe I waited 10 years to give it a go. There is so much to learn, but I can handle it. I teach people everyday to work on cars so I think someone can teach me to fly. I probably will fly mostly in a Cessna 152 because that is the kind of plane I can afford to rent at the current time.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Evan767

RE: First Flying Lesson/flight Out Of ARB

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 am

Man, I remember my first flight. I was flying out of Chesterfield County airport, just south of Richmond. I find it odd that your instructor didn't let you take-off. During my 'discovery flight' I was allowed to taxi, take-off, climb, and cruise.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

raventom

RE: First Flying Lesson/flight Out Of ARB

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:27 am

My first flight was out of Manchester Intl in a Piper PA-28... I only got to fly from 1000ft above. Boooo!
I love the smell of burnt kerosene!!!!!!!!!!!!