Topic Author
Posts: 9098
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 am

A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:45 am

Now, before you get going, I titled this “little” due to the fact that distance wise; this was a pretty darn small trip in relation to the normal TR’s you read here. While it was a short distance, I’m hoping to come close to Mendis’ epic TR when it comes to humor and depth of detail. I hope you enjoy.


So in my mad quest (inspired by the wife) to relocate the family from the greater MCO area to a location where we can afford a house and probably get a decent job; I had to go to TN87 (just outside of KTYS) on a one day hop to look at potential houses.

The mission goals were as follows:
1) Get up there and back safely
2) Get up there and back in time for my wife to go to her night job
3) View a few potential properties and take lots of pictures because the wife had to stay home with the kids.

I wanted to take a commercial flight or even an LCC, but the commercial flight would cost $900, and the LCC’s don’t ‘do’ weekends (unless you count getting dropped off on a Thursday and picked up on a Tuesday).

The only option I had was the mercy of a stranger. THANKFULLY a.net is chock full of strangers willing to help so I started the thread: Anyone Doing MCO To Ktys And Back This Weekend? (by TedTAce Mar 1 2007 in Non Aviation)

Fortunately the first and only person to respond with a genuine offer was A.net’s only member who can wear a beret and make it look cool: MIR!

Mir and I had met at a Shuttle launch so we knew each other in person, though thankfully it was a night launch so he didn’t get the full scope of just how horrifically ugly I was, and thus was willing to spend at least 8 hours in a 172P with me. Little did he know how big a mistake it was or how much use he’d get out of the ‘comfort bags’.

MIR and another student at ERAU (Sam) agreed to fly me up. After spending a few days discussing it in IM we had the following plan:

Get up way to damn early, meet at the FBO @ 0500, wheels up by 0530, fly to Georgia and get gas, fly to TN87 (hopefully get there by 10 AM), spend a couple hours there, fly to GA for more gas, get to DAB by 5:PM.

A Flight using MS FS and the similar 172SP (instead of 172P we’d actually fly) made this seem feasible. 4 hours up, 4 back, build in an hour for fuel stop, Even if the winds made us go long one direction it’d be compensated by being quicker on the other side.

The Main Event:

0330 Came and I woke up to the alarm. After I had stayed up until 2330 the previous night; I was ready to kill someone for caffeine. I go to the dish washer to pull out my favorite mug, and it’s cracked…. It’s a great way to start the day. 

I get my stuff together, and review my mental checklist and am somewhat disappointed that there are going to be no TSA screeners involved. The idea (ripped off from Mendis) of including an adult toy in my stash is going to have to wait. But I got my I-pod, my camera (and all my lenses), a warm coat, ID, credit card, and cash. What else could I possibly need for a day trip?

I get to DAB and as it’s only 0430 plenty of time to find the FBO and make the 0500 show. So I head over to the KrispyKreme (the fresh light was out damn it) and picked up a dozen of last night’s glazed, 3 cups of coffee a ton of cream and sugar. On the way out I pass a guy who looked homeless, but was polite enough not to beg as I entered or exited. Figuring I needed all the good karma I could buy; I gave the man a $1 and the coins from my change. I should have given him a $20.

So after about 10 minutes of driving around trying to find Aussie Air, I find it nestled in a storage facility with all the lights out. A few minutes later I was joined by MIR, and Sam. Sam (who I had met before@ the launch as well) was the only person interested in the spare coffee, but Mir did enjoy a doughnut or two. I had at least 3. A few minutes after 0500 the guy working the early shift for Aussie Air showed up and helped us get checked out. He was personable enough so I left the sole spare coffee and 5 glazed in his care.

Our plane for the day was going to be N63425; a 1982 C-172P. This plane has had a relatively un-eventful life especially if you forget that it was used to smuggle illegal’s in a dirty bomb plot and in a separate incident; been forced to land hard in a field adjacent to an airport because the pilot had forgotten the carb heat on decent.

By the time we got out to the Aircraft though it was about 0520 and if I had never read an accident report in my life I would have been chomping at the bit. Preflighting takes long enough, but when you have two guys doing it in the dark (sounds like something Westy would like to have a part of) it seems to take forever. Then the first setback: The tanks were not full/topped off like they were supposed to be. Oh joy. We had plenty enough to make it to the cheaper 100LL self serve @ OMN. So we take off @ about 0545 from DAB enroute to OMN.

KOMN: Ormond Beach Municipal Airport : Ormond Beach, Fl.
Sam was the PIC on this extremely short leg and much to my amazement I was in the right seat with MIR in the back (I thought I was going to be in the back the whole trip). I think we climbed up to all of 2500, when we started to work the pattern @ OMN. We came in a touch close and a bit high. Sam did a reasonable job of arresting the decent, but he did put the plane down a touch on the firm side.

We got to self serve, and grounded the A/C and started to try to fill the tanks. While Sam and MIR were going through troubleshooting why the gas wasn’t pumping: I started to scout a spot to let the coffee from earlier be free. Then I heard Sam triumphantly declare that he had found the ‘on’ switch and it should be working.

Now if I had known what was going to happen next, and I had a clue on how to ‘capture the moment’ I would have caught what would have CERTAINLY been my first accepted A.net shot of a Cessna 172 with a beautiful light cascading over it and AvGas catcing the light as it was spraying all over the wing and MIR in a magnificent display of “I don’t think this is going to work” (At least he wasn’t pointing the nozzle at himself/face).

A few moments after the laughter from all subsided; MIR went to filling the tanks, and I ‘hid’ behind a little shed and did what I had to do.

We got back into the plane Sam in the left seat, MIR in the back, and I up front in the right.

MIR in the back seat WITHOUT HIS BERET!!!

The Dave Matthews look alike Sam:

0625 Wheels up from OMN enroute to 19A Jackson County Airport: Jefferson, Ga.

We make a nominal departure and start to track our VFR flight path up towards JAX. The sun starts to rise but is obscured by frontal clouds. I got a few tolerable pictures of the NAS, but as everyone knows it’s P-3 central, there was nothing OMG worthy.

So in all this we discover that we are tracking a MISERABLE 70 odd knots. Indicating that if I could drive directly in my car in the same manner, I would beat the plane like a redheaded stepchild. Our ETA is updated to somewhere around 1PM to TN87  Ugh and I told the realtor to be there @ 1030AM.

We start to head up through Georgia and that’s when the REAL fun began. As it was getting pretty cold, SAM decided to turn on the cabin heat. In MOST airplanes this is a non event, and at first it seemed to be the case here. Nice warm air started to flow, the CO2 sensor kept its color and all was well.

So we are cruising along and about 20 minutes later one of the controllers tells us he’s got our squawk code, but no Mode C. Oh joy. I know that it brings restrictions so I bring the subject up, to thankfully find out that the only ‘real’ problem is getting back into DAB as it’s airspace requires Mode C. So we continue and all is going ok when Sam’s bladder starts to complain about holding two cups of coffee.

At the point in time his bladder starts to act up, so do the comm. radios. We’d have to turn them off and on, transmit, power cycle, listen to callback, transmit, then power cycle for ack. It was bothersome. So given the problem of Sam’s bladder and the radios acting up, we decided to divert to KMLJ. It’s just North of Macon, which is about the ½ way point so it will be a good fuel stop.

1030 KMLJ Baldwin County Airport; Milledgeville, GA
As we almost crash descend from 6,500 we make an ugly pattern entry almost going over the damn, crossing over the islands, then our final high approach. This time; the descent is arrested too early and the stall warning starts to go off.

Say hello to my plant; Robert.

Anyone know a good chiropractor?

They say any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Given that we were still able to taxi and the dash was not lying on our knees, it was a GREAT landing!!

We taxied into the only FBO and requested to be topped off. From the Gentleman who had greeted us on the advisory channel. It was windy and cold so we headed inside.

Now the Milledgeville Airport appears to be a GREAT place for the local gentry who want to dodge Church duty. There were at least 6 men (maybe a woman) sitting around and talking in a manner that screams the good old POLITE south, yet was strangely modern given the facilities relatively new aura. It was the kind of crowd I’d die to hang out with on a Sunday if I could afford to live there and if they wouldn’t beat me senseless for my liberal big city ways.

Shortly after everyone caught up with the bathroom, the nice guy who had filled our tanks let us know there was a car free to use to go out and get something to eat. As I had called my realtor to let him know we were running very late and the arrival time weather was still showing possible icing conditions, we decided to go out for a bite to eat.

N63425 Getting Gas @ KMLJL

The car was a former police Crown Vic that Superfly would have LOVED. It drove like a boat, and had a very touchy gas pedal. We made our way to the local Quiznos where I insisted on treating and they insisted on not protesting…. AT ALL.  Sorry I couldn’t afford Ruby Tuesdays. We all eat and headed back to the airplane which was dutifully waiting exactly where we had left it.

For this next leg MIR was going to be in the left seat and as the plane was in Sam’s name he had to be in the right, leaving the back seat to me, which is where I honestly expected to be for the whole flight. Now I’m not one to complain about things, especially when I’m getting custom service for the relative pittance I was paying; BUT the windows in the back were DISGUSTING. There was so much schmutz on the windows, that if it were ice we would have been the first people to dye from icing on the windows!! I can read the NTSB accident report now. We took off for TN87 @ about 1205.

KMLJ to TN87
The ride up was almost totally un-eventful as we kept the cabin heat off. It was cold for sure, but that heavy warm jacket was a life saver in the back seat. This was because the window latch on the pax side was loose enough that it allowed enough of the 4 degree C air in to blow dry Dolly Parton’s hair in record time if only it was hot.

Hummm another interesting way to ‘go’: Icing on a PAX’s head!!

A Damn Dam!!

The one point of interest was when Atlanta center asked us if we were ‘orbiting’ while we were climbing from 6,500 to 8,500. As I looked down, sure enough; a drunken snail could have been traversing the ground below faster and with less effort then we were. Thank goodness we actually started to move forward a bit before we leveled out.

1530 TN87 Montvale Airpark; Marysville, TN. (Greater Knoxville, TN.)

Now I had picked out TN87 for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it is walking distance from the first property I wanted to see. With help from my Realtor I had secured permission to land from the Airpark’s manager: Andy. Andy is about one of the nicest and most down to earth guys I have met; especially for someone who looks like they might only be a year or two out of college. He gave us the authorization to land and the big bonus: no landing fee!!! Aww the joys of landing @ no cost.

Finding the airpark from the south was like shooting fish in a barrel and we made a nice decent and I even got a few Arial shots of the property in question as we had to over fly it 2 times because we had to over fly the park once before landing.

MIR made a very nice landing from the North which was interesting as it was downhill from the direction and you had to skirt over some trees. We parked the plane and I got out to my realtor who was patiently waiting.

While I was out looking at houses, they decided to head up to KDKX. Maybe Mir will make a mini TR for that in this thread.

While I was @ the second house I was looking at; I saw the boys flying up to KDKX and got a few lousy pictures.

I made it back to TN87 LONG before they did and got some shots while waiting with my realtor.

It was really nice to see this RJ as low as it was, while the property sucked, thinking of having RJ’s fly overhead consistently was heartwarming.

The boys finally made it back from KDKX, and here are the pics. Sam was flying, and I should have known to follow the whole landing with the camera. As soon as I turned away, they landed on the ground and the tires started to screech!! By the time I got the camera anywhere near the plane the smoke had dissipated, and there was nothing to see but the Andy on the runway.

N63425 Over the Threshold:

After some laughs about that and a quip from Andy about who was going to pay for the skid marks, we got on our way.

TN87 - 19A
This departure was a bit more exciting then the others as we were almost immediately confronted by a bit of hill. While it was obvious we would make the hill it was obvious that the smallest problem in gaining altitude would become a very big one quick. Once we cleared that hill the next problem was the ridge to the ESE and once again while we got it with a bit of room to spare it wasn’t easy. Then Sam started following a chain of lakes that were the wrong lakes and ended up putting us about 20 miles east of our intended track, this was not a tragedy as we were able to easily compensate for it by bypassing some other intended landmarks. Of course the irony was we got to the 19A area and we were west of the field by about 5 miles. My excuse (besides PNF) was I didn’t have a sectional on my lap. The heat stayed off, the radios stayed on and Mode C was fine.

19A Jefferson City Jackson County Airport
Once again we came in VERY high, but honestly I like this kind of approach, something about never having too much altitude. This time it looked like Sam was going to get a greaser even with a direct crosswind. Then all of a sudden, there was a gust that took us up about 6-10 feet. Now if it was me, I would have gone around to try getting a slick one, but Sam hung in there and managed to put it down nice and easy. Literal “attaboys” and pats on the back to Sam!!!

So we taxied to the self serve, and this time was a LOT less traumatic getting gas in the plane though Sam did spill a bit on the wing. The sun was getting ready to set, but there was another 172 in the pattern and I got a couple of ok photos of it. We loaded up with MIR as PIC and Sam in the right seat, taxied and took of no biggie. Time off About 1750 (when I wanted to be home)

19A - DAB
This was a mostly un-eventful leg, Navigation was seamless as MIR had planned it IFR and executed it under VFR.. It got cold as hell after the sunset so we finally relented and decided to try the heat. Radios were fine and mode C was still with us so we proceeded. Things were fine until we got just outside of JAX. Then Mode C died and the Radios started to act up. We dumped the cabin heat and after about 20 minutes the radios were working perfectly and Mode C was intermittent. All the controllers worked with us and got us into DAB ok. On the Ground @ 2130

The setting sun over Georgia:

Downtown Jax @ night

This TR is dedicated to Mir(David), Sam, and Dan. The 3 of you made March 4th 2007 one of the best days of my life!! Thank you all for your patience and dedication!!

[Edited 2007-03-06 03:49:26]
This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 1233
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:06 pm

Great report. Thanks for posting it.
Posts: 19551
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:37 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
Given that we were still able to taxi and the dash was not lying on our knees, it was a GREAT landing!!

My god, you're easy.  Wink

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
two guys doing it in the dark


Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
We start to head up through Georgia and that’s when the REAL fun began.

Wasn't there a Burt Reynolds movie about this ... ?

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
We made our way to the local Quiznos

You're supposed to type out the menu at this point, Ted! Tsk tsk.

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
skid marks

How'd he get there?

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
This departure was a bit more exciting then the others as we were almost immediately confronted by a bit of hill.

At which point you cursed having stopped at Krispy Kreme that morning ...

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
Once again we came in VERY high

Doesn't this belong in Non-Av?  Wink

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
On the Ground @ 2130


Well done, Ted. Great pix, too!  thumbsup 
International Homo of Mystery
Topic Author
Posts: 9098
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Wasn't there a Burt Reynolds movie about this ... ?

Yeah, but they were in canoes

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
How'd he get there?

Sam stood on the brakes and like rubbing a magic lamp there was  old  Andy.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):

At which point you cursed having stopped at Krispy Kreme that morning ...

Ummmm maybe. Actually the Quiznos' probably did more dammage.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Doesn't this belong in Non-Av? Wink


Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Well done, Ted. Great pix, too! thumbsup

Thank you!
This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 19358
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:55 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
Maybe Mir will make a mini TR for that in this thread.

My pleasure. I don't know about "mini", but here it is:

In my planning, I picked 19A as a fuel stop not only because it had cheap fuel, but also because it was only about 110 miles from TN87, and thus we would be able to just drop Ted off, hang around until he was done, and then head back to 19A without having to stop for fuel. But the combination of having stopped short of 19A for fuel on the way up, the nasty headwinds, one fuel gauge that didn’t move and another that started out full, but soon began to oscillate between 1/3 and 2/3 full (Cessna fuel gauges aren’t very accurate even when they’re working properly, and I had a gut feeling that these ones were not working properly), and what I saw when I looked in the tanks made the side trip to DKX a prudent decision.

So Sam and I got in the plane for the 20 mile trip, with me in the left seat and him in the right. We started up, taxied back along runway 21, and did the runup at the end. I decided that a short field takeoff was the order of the day (the runway was 2700 feet long, which is plenty even for a fully loaded 172, but the performance numbers come from a short field takeoff, so one never really knows for sure how much it will take to get off the ground with a normal takeoff, and my general rule is that anything under 3000 feet gets the short field treatment), so the flaps were set to 10 degrees, the brakes were held while the engine was set to full power, and after being satisfied that everything was working properly, off we went. We got off the ground about halfway down the runway, and I noticed a survey crew who were doing some work next to the runway waving at us. We made two left turns onto downwind, and I made sure we’d be clear of the cellphone tower that had been conveniently placed right at the turn from downwind to base. The Knoxville Class C starts at 3500’ MSL, so I made sure to stay at 3000 while calling up approach and letting them know that we were going to Downtown Island. They identified us right away, and gave us a vector to the northeast, presumably to keep us away from TYS, which was clearly visible about eight miles to our left. I took the time to listen to the automated weather broadcast from DKX, which advised that winds were out of the north, meaning a landing on 26. After we had passed clear of TYS, approach told us to proceed on course, and we turned left, looking for the airport. It was fairly hard to see, since it was behind some hills down by the river, so I used the buildings of downtown Knoxville as a reference and looked about three miles east of them. I had looked at the area before with Google Earth, and was surprised at how helpful it was, particularly in finding TN87. As we got closer to the river, the airport came into view, a little to the right of where I thought it would be. We advised approach that the airport was in sight, and they released us to the CTAF. We were a good seven miles out, so with no traffic on the frequency, we decided to enter a long base for 26, and made an advisory call to that effect. The winds were brisk, but the landing was smooth, if a little long. The plane seemed to float more than I was used to. We exited the runway and headed over to the self-serve fuel station.

It was of a similar design to the one in OMN, but we were unable to turn it on, and I had to walk down to the FBO to inquire about how to get it working. The cheerful lady at the counter walked me into their hangar, which contained a beautiful PC-12, and found a lineman who drove me back in a golf cart and flipped the switch that neither of us had been able to locate. Feeling slightly embarrassed, we filled the plane, and then walked back to the FBO to get something to drink, and check the weather (there’d be no means to do this at TN87, and I wasn’t sure what I’d find at 19A, so I wanted to make sure that things were looking good between Knoxville and Daytona. During the walk back, Ted called to let me know that he was about done (a lot earlier than I thought he would be), and I told him that he could take his time, as we wouldn’t be taking off for about another ten minutes. There were two amazingly comfortable chairs in the pilot lounge, and I allowed myself about a minute and a half in one of them and resisted the urge to take a lot longer and read through the collection of aviation-related magazines tantalizingly placed in the rack on the far wall. But we had places to be, and so I turned my attention instead to the weather computer, which showed that things were severe clear all the way, and that whatever snow had been falling earlier and had kept us on the ground in Milledgeville had cleared out of the way. Unfortunately, the FBO’s food selection was limited to a small vending machine that had nothing appetizing in it (and I didn’t have coins anyway), so I settled for a drink from the water fountain before heading back to the plane.

Sam would be flying this leg, so I settled into the right seat and took a look at the chart to see how we’d be going back. By this time the airport activity had begun to pick up, and there were a few aircraft in the pattern. We taxied out to runway 26, during which a beautiful T-tail Turbo Arrow made a low approach with the gear retracted – would have made a good picture. Once at the end, we waited for a Cessna to do a touch and go, and for the Arrow to land, and then we were off. Climbing out of DKX reminded me of a much smaller version of STP, the way it sits next to the river and how seemingly close the buildings of downtown are. We made a left turn and called up approach again, who once again gave us vectors around TYS. There was another plane on the frequency who was coming into TYS, and I could see them out the left side as they joined the final for 23R. We were about five miles from the threshold at that time – I didn’t think they’d cross us inside of traffic on final. We had intended to stay at 2,500, but were told to climb to 3,000 in order to clear traffic that was coming the other way at 2,500. After passing clear of TYS, we were set loose on our own navigation and turned towards where we thought TN87 would be. We found it in short order (and again I have to plug Google Earth as being a great way to get familiar with where exactly an airport is, especially small ones), and were released to the CTAF (there wasn’t one listed on the chart). The runway doubles as the access road for the houses at the airpark, so there was a minivan coming the other way on the runway as Sam made his low approach. It vacated in a hurry, but then continued on its way after we went around, and by the time we were on downwind I could see that it had turned onto the regular road that abutted the airpark. Having seen during the low approach that Ted had arrived, and was armed with a Nikon, I informed Sam that he would have a landing judge, and cautioned him about the illusions of landing on a narrow runway (something that had caught me somewhat by surprise the first time – you learn about it in ground school, but you never really get to see it in the plane), but he had no problems bringing it in over the trees to a very nice landing.

That is, until the brakes somehow managed to lock up, and I quickly joined in their cry of protest. Once things got back under control, there was a brief discussion as to what had gone wrong, which arrived at the conclusion that neither of us knew. As we taxied back along the runway to where Ted was, we noticed a pair of black marks on the pavement, set about the same width apart as a 172’s main gear. We had left our mark on the airport, and I had a good laugh at Sam’s bewildered look.

As we stopped the plane and shut it down, I noticed that despite Andy's earlier comment that cows don’t normally come into the field next to the airport, there was a whole herd of them standing there. I guess they had come to watch the landing. As I opened the door, I realized that they must have been expecting better, as they were all loudly voicing their disapproval and disappointment (“They’re not saying ‘moo’, Sam, they’re saying ‘boo’”, and looking at us as if we were idiots. Which isn’t entirely inaccurate, I guess.

Ted got back in the plane, and we headed for home.


Thanks to Ted for coming along, I had a great time.

7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day
Topic Author
Posts: 9098
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
The plane seemed to float more than I was used to.

Something about being almost 300 pounds light will do that.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
As I opened the door, I realized that they must have been expecting better, as they were all loudly voicing their disapproval and disappointment (“They’re not saying ‘moo’, Sam, they’re saying ‘boo’”, and looking at us as if we were idiots. Which isn’t entirely inaccurate, I guess.

 rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

I got a shot of the cows staring, but it's through the crappy glass so it looks like crap, but I did get the feeling they were saying "I could had done better then that" or "My cousin who's about to be cooked medium rare @ Longhorn could have done better".

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Thanks to Ted for coming along, I had a great time.

Thanks for having me.
This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 pm

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:33 am

Ted and Mir, OUTSTANDING trip report, looks like a helluva lot of fun! Thanks so much for the good read and glad everything went well!
Topic Author
Posts: 9098
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 am

RE: A “Little” Trip Report KDAB-TN87 March 04 2007

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 6):
Thanks so much for the good read and glad everything went well!

You are absolutely welcome!
This space intentionally left blank

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eamondzhang and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos