AC773
Topic Author

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:05 am

I know there are many other LX JFK-ZRH trip reports out there, but it's been a while since a new one was written, so I thought I'd do one myself. It does indeed come with pictures, but because my trusty 10D is far too bulky to be used discreetly in an aircraft, I had to use my crappy Canon A620. The quality is quite poor, hence the asterisk.  Smile

I began my trip by driving four hours north of home, but the extra trip saved me $250 on the ticket and allowed me to fly with Swiss. The drive wasn't difficult, so I didn't mind too much. After a brief tour through the unrelenting craphole that is Queens, New York; I arrived at JFK to a helpful collection of signs. Parking was easily found, and as long as you're okay schlepping your luggage for a little while, access to the check-in area via the SkyTrain (or whatever it's called) is pretty easy.

I arrived at the terminal at 2:00 PM, 30 minutes before it was supposed to open. After taking the above picture, I sat down on a surprisingly comfortable metal bench. BTW the actual Swiss check-in counter is around the left corner of where the picture was taken, but the real one wasn't really that interesting - they didn't even have any Swiss signs on the back wall! After 30 minutes of waiting, LX employees were just trickling in to the LX counter and setting up. I walked up near the entrance of the roped-off area for economy check-in, but I was told to sit back down because they wouldn't be ready until 3:30, apparently because of the early change to daylight savings time. What a poor excuse! Not very Swiss if you ask me...

The check-in itself went fine, aside from the fact that they wouldn't allow me to take my camera bag as a carry-on; I had to check it. Although I would have preferred to take it myself due to the fragility of my camera & laptop, I thought the bag would be sturdy enough to protect them in the hands of even the toughest ramp-rats. Here's a picture of it, with my iPod for comparison:

Security was a breeze, and I was soon in the (surprisingly low-rent) terminal 1.

Some of the more interesting ramp movements:

Aeroflot 762

Maxjet 762

I had heard a while ago that Olympic had gone belly-up, so imagine my surprise when one of their 343s rolled into the gate!

Aside from a bar and a panini shop, there are no places to eat in Terminal 1. If anybody knows the idea behind that, please let me know. Every other airport I've ever been to has had at least 3 or 4 choices.

Please note that this is not the actual aircraft for the flight - this one was going to Geneva. The one I did fly on was tucked behind a wall with no windows, so all I could see of it was the tail.

I boarded around 6:40 PM, and with that the flight began.

LX 017
HB-IQP
Depart JFK: 1920
Arrive ZRH: 0820
Seat: 29D

The flight appeared to be almost full, and the first thing I noticed was that about 30% of those passengers were Orthodox Jews, dressed in traditional clothing.

We pushed back at 7:20, and the Captain begun by telling us about the wingspan, weight, and power of the A330. Some people find that annoying, but I love to see anyone take that much pride and enjoyment in their work. As usual at JFK there was a line for the runway, but it only took us about 20-30 minutes from pushback to takeoff.

About an hour into the flight, drinks were served, followed by dinner with a choice of beef or pasta. I completely forgot to snap a picture of my pasta dish before eating it, but it was basically a limp tricolor pasta with tomato sauce on one side and alfredo on the other. It was topped with chopped green peppers and a few rubbery mushroom slices that looked as though they'd come from a can. The whole thing was a pretty tasteless affair, but it was served with a warm bun that really wasn't bad. Oh, and on the side was a completely inedible brownie and a side salad. I apologize for not taking a picture, but I only remembered after they had collected the trays. Go to airlinemeals.net if you really need to know what it looks like.  Smile

You must be wondering what sets this meal apart with the kind of thing you'd get on Delta or American, and to be honest, I'd be hard pressed to find a difference. Compared with the decent meals and complimentary Movenpick ice cream of just a few years ago, I was rather disappointed with Swiss. That said, the meals were served with the kind of care and grace that I've yet to see on any American air carrier.

The A330s operated by Swiss have individual screens in the seatback, but they lack a full AVOD system. You can choose your entertainment from a selection of movies, TV shows, and music; but you're not in control of when it comes on. The new A340s have this feature, so I'd expect the system to be upgraded next time the 330 interiors are redone. Also, the screens suffer from miniscule size and low resolution. Pictured below, you can see for yourself.

We hit some extremely light turbulence as we came into the longitudinal domain of Greenland, but it died down in about 20 minutes. I watched "Stranger than Fiction" (bad movie, BTW) then tried to catch some sleep.

After I woke up, I turned on the flight information in the seatback screen and saw that we were at FL 380, which I assumed was our cruising altitude for the trip. We hit a bit of turbulence again as we approached the coast of Ireland, but again, it died down in about 20-30 minutes. I kept the airshow on to track our progress, and during the turbulence, we had climbed to FL 410, probably due to much lighter fuel tanks.

Breakfast was served as we crossed into France, and the drinks followed as soon as the breakfast cart was put away. This time, my marbles were immediately located and I remembered to snap a picture for you people. The only caveat to that is my camera's meter got confused and the picture came out all dark. Since I don't like to use flash in planes, I had to brighten up the picture in Photoshop.

The meal consisted of a warm Croissant, some yogurt, and a little plastic container of orange juice located in the picture under the Croissant. Although it was warm, the Croissant was understandably pretty bad - you really can't keep one for more than a few hours and expect it to maintain its texture. I don't eat yogurt so I can't comment on that, but the orange juice was just awful. I was pretty happy to see that the FAs carried a decent version in their cart, and suffice to say I wasn't surprised to see how popular it was.

The trash from Breakfast was collected, and moist hot towels were passed out. And in case you were wondering, these were real cotton towels - not any paper nonsense.

We started our descent at around 7:30 local Zurich time, and we touched down at 7:52. Yes, that's a full 28 minutes before our scheduled arrival time of 8:20! Guess it kind of makes up for the check-in crew.  silly 

After we arrived at the gate and people were leaving the plane, I asked if I could go to the flight deck to take a couple of pictures. The crew was happy to oblige. The captain was a very nice guy, and he started off with a joke. I asked for the registration as I was leaving, and probably because the cpt. had figured me for an aviation geek, he handed me the load sheet! I thanked him and I was on my way.

Well, that's a wrap! Hope you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to some ZRH spotting excitement and all the Rivella, Gipfeli, and chocolate I can handle.  biggrin 

P.S. - As luck would have it, my room right now gives me a nice view of the Dubendorf airbase! Too bad it's not active anymore.  Sad

Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Mir

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:17 am

Excellent report!

Quoting AC773 (Thread starter):
Aside from a bar and a panini shop, there are no places to eat in Terminal 1.

There are, but they are on the upper level above the security checkpoint (before going through it). The intent was for people to not go through security before it's time to go to their gate (T1 being an O&D terminal, there wouldn't be connecting passengers remaining airside), but 9/11 screwed up that kind of thinking.

Even the selection there, however, is not very good - only about three fast food options and a sit-down place. T1 is a major disappointment as far as food goes.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Mason

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:23 am

Great report, but that SU 767 is a -300, not a -200. They do not operate any 762s, and you will notice that it is a bit longer than the Maxjet 762 that you shot. Just an FYI.

CV990

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 am

Hi!

Very nice report and SWISS crew just like they "used to be"....I also remember ( well before those cockpit visit restrictions.... ) that way back to the 80's I asked one day to visit the cockpit, we were flying from ZRH to LIS in HB-IPD a SR A310-200, and the pilot invited me to seat in the middle seat they had between the pilot's and 1st. officer seat, we chat for around 30 minutes, I asked questions, the crew answered, we passed BELLOW" an LTE 757 and we kept talking, nice people the SR crew, and I think that crew you got identifies the way they are, nice guys and I don't think any other crew would give you that load sheet but I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys doing that!!! That's a great souvenir for you to show to your "grand-children" many years from now!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

OA260

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:11 am

Hi thanks for the nice report with the photos. Shame their were no cabin shots. I love Swiss as per my TR's but have never flown long haul with them. I hope to fly with them to USA soon.

Also nice to see the OA A340!!!! OA are in bad times at the moment but hopefully they will restructure and be ok . All operations are normal . Thanks for the photo.

DALelite

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:12 am

AC773 you have posted a great TR!!! It seems that the guys from the Flight-Deck love their jobs.
I was kinda surprised that LX is serving the same missrable breakfast as most other Airlines on the transatlantic sector do.

Have a nice stay in CH: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

flyprivate

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:44 am

Great Report!
Do u know if there A330's ( swiss ) have there new updated Business class seats( lie flat ) like they have on the A340?

N864DA

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:22 am

Great report. I agree about the food having gone down to what you would find on US carriers. However, the service is still very good and nice to see they are still handing out the towels. I hope they are still serving the Movenpick ice cream. I don't ever remember them serving it on the redeye flights to Switzerland but always on the outbounds.

N864DA

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:39 am

Great report and pictures! I flew out of Terminal 1 back in 2002, and it was nice to see lots of A330's and A340's getting ready for various destinations.

I love to fly!

Sketty222

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:29 am

Nice report and nice pics of aircraft at T1 JFK

It was a nice touch of the crew to give you the loadsheet

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

Coal

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks for sharing. I've only flown LX twice, once in Business to Bangkok (from SIN) and the return in Economy. I thought the Business experience is not worth the money (albeit I got a great deal!), but the Economy was OK. Are the seats in the 330 also in that kind of tan color with brown checkered lines? I really like their seats, especially the fabric.

Cheers,
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

ANITIX87

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting FlyPrivate (Reply 6):
Do u know if there A330's ( swiss ) have there new updated Business class seats( lie flat ) like they have on the A340?

No, they don't. Not yet, anyway. Which is sad, because I just went to Switzerland and had enough miles to upgrade, but didn't because of the old business seats in the 332's.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Ndebele

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi AC and thanks for posting this report. Though I didn't fly LX any more since they went to LH, it's nice to see that their product is apparently still quite good. Good old HB-IQP, I flew it on the same route four years ago, and again ZRH-GVA last year. The thing with the loadsheet was very nice, though...

Quoting CV990 (Reply 3):
That's a great souvenir for you to show to your "grand-children" many years from now!

...it's printed on thermal paper, so the printing will disappear after a few years, I guess. Better make a copy of it if you want to keep it as a souvenir.

Regards, Alex.

fca767

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Great Report. It's nice to see a load sheet. Whenever i fly as a pax i like to know everything that is going on in terms of weights and fuel and things. I dont really like being just a passenger not knowing what runway or what the weather is like.

I left JFK on December 26th and it was the first time i had a wireless laptop so i hooked up to an executive clubs wireless and checked the weather.

It's nice that you posted it o quickly  Smile

alphafloor

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:13 pm

Very good report AC773! Nice to hear some technical specs given by the cpt before take-off, I can't understand how people are annoyed by this talkning though. Thanks for sharing your experience with us !

Regards. -Alejandro
Whatever

semsem

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 am

Thanks for your interesting report. The food on Swiss was always really bad and it seems to have gotten even worse in the past year. Continental is just as bad and they compete with them to Geneva from NYC. I avoid both if I can.

stylo777

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:00 am

great report! very interesting what the belly load is like on regular pax flights Big grin

ThereandBack

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 am

Nice report thanks for posting. I know what you mean about there being not many food options at T1 I went hungry for about two hours. I also hate that gate that blocks the view of the plane usually TK or OA and sometimes AF have that gate.

AC773
Topic Author

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:51 am

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
Hi thanks for the nice report with the photos. Shame their were no cabin shots.

Yes, I'm sorry about that. I thought about taking one, but it's near impossible to take one when all the cabin lights are turned out. I could have taken one near the beginning or end of the flight when the lights were on, but that would have meant getting in the way of the crew or any passengers that were in line for the restroom. It's a very bland-looking cabin (If I didn't know better, I'd have no clue it was LX), and there are plenty of shots of it in the A.net database.

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 16):
great report! very interesting what the belly load is like on regular pax flights

Yeah, I enjoyed that myself. I joke that it seems they're importing the mice and the specimen to kill them with.  Wink

msnyx

Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 am

Thanks for the report. I'm taking LX9 this week and am really looking forward to it. I hope my experience goes as well as yours did.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me

ZRH

RE: Swiss JFK-ZRH W/ Pics

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting FlyPrivate (Reply 6):

The A 330 are not yet updated. But as I heard they will begin this year with the new business class and new IFE (with AVOD). Probably SandroZRH can tell us more as his father works for SRTechnics.

sandrozrh

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Great TR, it's always nice to see TR's featuring LX, but that goes without saying Big grin

Quoting DALelite (Reply 5):
I was kinda surprised that LX is serving the same missrable breakfast as most other Airlines on the transatlantic sector do.

That's because catering for the return leg is done in JFK, they don't bring their catering for the return flight themselves (hence no Ice Cream etc.). I've always experienced that, on the outbound flights, the food is excellent, while it is bad on the return flight. A real shame but there's not much LX can do about it.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 20):
The A 330 are not yet updated. But as I heard they will begin this year with the new business class and new IFE (with AVOD). Probably SandroZRH can tell us more as his father works for SRTechnics.

I'll try to find out more tonight.

semsem

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 pm

It is wrong to blame JFK catering on the lousy food SWISS serve from the USA. The reason for this is cost cutting. I flew last week on Iberia from JFK to Madrid and the food was fantastic for both dinner and breakfast.

As to the lousy breakfast on SWISS even that has been cut. They used to serve a croissant and a roll and would immediately offer seconds. The roll has gone and it seems the second helpings have also gone. They also now copy the US airlines by offering lettuce as a starter. They also used to serve from the USA a decent cake, though it was tiny. To save money they now serve their traditional chocolate brownie catered from the USA as they can save a few more pennies.

sandrozrh

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Semsem (Reply 22):

Then i wonder why their food on the outbound flights has always been excellent. Well, whatever, if yo uwant to bash LX, fine. Everybody else seems to love swiss judging form the numerous TR's on this website.

bimmerkid19

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

e handed me the load sheet! I thanked him and I was on my way.

Hmm.. i noticed on the load sheet that they were transporting Live mice.. lol and also dry ice... funny.
Last flights: LH 3738 MUC - ZRH , LH 3749 ZRH - MUC . Upcoming: EK 50 MUC - DXB 3-aug. and EK 322 DXB - ICN 7- Aug.

Bofredrik

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:28 am

I appreciate your report!

People can say a lot of Swiss
and their service but i would feel
safe on a SR flight.

[Edited 2007-03-21 17:29:20]

semsem

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:13 am

I have no interest in bashing Swiss. I have seen the airline gradually cutting their catering to a bear minimum on the GVA to JFK route ever since they began operations. As to the food out of Geneva it is nearly as bad as from JFK. The hard seats on their A330 are also uncomfortable after 1 hour. Air France, Aer Lingus and Iberia are way better. This is my personal opinion. I only use them now.
Service on short European routes though are good. For me it is annoying as I fly often from GVA to NYC and both LX and CO are the worst and unfortunately only carriers on this route.
The only advantage with SWISS is that one can buy a cheap ticket valid for 3 months compared to only 1 month with other carriers.

rockyracoon

Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:19 am

AC773, so the amentities aren't too great in economy? I am trying to decide who I will be flying to muc on this summer. I am considering LX and want to know what is out there inflight productwise.

bimmerkid19

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting RockyRacoon (Reply 27):
AC773, so the amentities aren't too great in economy? I am trying to decide who I will be flying to muc on this summer. I am considering LX and want to know what is out there inflight productwise.

fly on LH.. they have good food service... i just flew with LH again on march 13th from IAD to FRA the service onboard was great
Last flights: LH 3738 MUC - ZRH , LH 3749 ZRH - MUC . Upcoming: EK 50 MUC - DXB 3-aug. and EK 322 DXB - ICN 7- Aug.

sandrozrh

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Bimmerkid19 (Reply 28):
fly on LH.. they have good food service... i just flew with LH again on march 13th from IAD to FRA the service onboard was great

While everybody else is afraid that LX will step their service down to LH level follwing the merger, hmmmm  scratchchin   laughing 

AC773
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Well, I flew back yesterday. Sandro said the catering would be better, but I didn't really know to what degree. The only thing I have to say is wow!  biggrin 

CULINARY MINI-REPORT

LX 016 ZRH-JFK

Lunch was served about an hour or so into the flight, and we were given a choice between pasta with a red pesto sauce or sliced beef with onions. I chose the pasta, as I wanted to be able to make a pretty direct comparison with the level of quality v. the JFK catering.

The meal was served with a warm roll and real metal cutlery (I was pretty impressed by that one). It consisted of a side salad, the main dish, and an off-the-shelf version of chocolate mousse.

The salad was made up of just green and red lettuce. It was much, much crisper than the way out. I don't remember what kind or dressing they included on the tray, but then I don't use dressing, so of course I didn't try it.

I can't really say anything about the roll other than it was pretty similar to the one served by JFK catering. As I said before it was warm and pretty good - just no match for the wonderful Swiss baking I had enjoyed while in Zurich.

I have no idea why they called it a red pesto sauce, because as far as I could tell, the pasta dish was served with a regular basil pesto - the only addition being a few sun-dried tomatoes on top. I don't know the name of the pasta served, but it was three times as thick as spaghetti with a hole in the middle, cut into 1.5 inch-long pieces. The pasta was much firmer than on the way into Zurich, and the sauce was really nice. Overall, this was an exceptional dish considering I was still in economy class.

The mousse was very good, both in texture and flavor. It was actually surprisingly good when you consider that it was store-bought and pre-packaged, but you wouldn't be surprised at all when you consider where it was from. What can I say, things are just better in Switzerland.  Wink

About 2 hours before the end of the flight, the afternoon snack came in the form of a little pizza/calzone contraption and some chocolate Movenpick ice cream. I don't have to tell you how good the ice cream was, and the pizza thing was actually quite nice as well. I should also note that it was completely different from the one that N864DA had in his A340 return report.

Well, that's it! As you know, the food was really my only complaint with the Swiss flight on the original report, so to have that remedied in such a spectacular way really re-affirms my faith in LX as an airline. And thanks again to Sandro for showing me around the Zurich airport - that was a hell of a day!  bigthumbsup 

sandrozrh

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:12 am

So I didnt promise too much after all Big grin

Quoting AC773 (Reply 30):
And thanks again to Sandro for showing me around the Zurich airport - that was a hell of a day!

My pleasure, too bad weather wasnt on our side and that we kinda ran out of time in the end, but it wasn't that bad nevertheless, even though we didnt see any heavy movements, but i think the TU154 made up for it  bigthumbsup 

AC773
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 31):
too bad weather wasnt on our side

You say that, but it could have been much worse. I was trainspotting in Bassersdorf friday morning - good place for it BTW because of all the "heavies" going between Zurich and Winterthur - and that was a snowstorm if I ever saw one. I stopped by the airport after to see if I could catch the 11:00 heavies, but visibility was next to nothing and they were using other runways. Still though, I saw about 6 people out there on the observation deck - you were right about the Swiss being plane crazy!  biggrin 

semsem

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:04 pm

The ice cream used to be served between the lunch and the snack which was a nice touch. The snack used to consist of good sandwiches and they used to offer 2 sandwiches. It came with a cookie.The pizza which AA also serve is another example of the cost cutting compared to before.

sandrozrh

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 33):
The ice cream used to be served between the lunch and the snack which was a nice touch.

The Ice Cream was served, did you actually read his return trip report?

Look, if you're so desperate to bash LX, start a new thread, and just dont fly them. Judging from their load factors on the NA routes, it wont hurt them.

ba319-131

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:27 pm

Nice report, thanks.

The check-in itself went fine, aside from the fact that they wouldn't allow me to take my camera bag as a carry-on; I had to check it. Although I would have preferred to take it myself due to the fragility of my camera & laptop, I thought the bag would be sturdy enough to protect them in the hands of even the toughest ramp-rats. Here's a picture of it, with my iPod for comparison:

- Did you have another bag then for them not to allow you 2? - If not, that's quite odd!!

Rgds

Mark
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

bimmerkid19

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 29):
While everybody else is afraid that LX will step their service down to LH level follwing the merger, hmmmm

? Please elaborate? I feel that LH has good Service, compared to other Airlines. BA is sliding rather fast.. VS, although good... has been sliding too.. Each time ive flown LH, ive seen that their service is persistance and always the same. Its never good one day and then the other not good. Its either good or bad. Mostly it is always good. What I mean, is that compared to other EU-based Airlines... it seems that most have a variance on their service levels on their routes. LH has usually the same across the board. Tja. Lufthansa may not yet have Inseat IFE, but that doesnt matter, I love the food that they serve onboard and besides.. I usually sleep on the USA-EU leg on LH. I might be awake for a while, but then i´ll sleep. I do however love that Lufthansa has a Radio Channel that I really love... Channel 6.. Trance FM.. and they play a neverending mix of the newest stuff on the market or stuff that hasnt come out and it never loops! I love listening to it. I could go a whole flight listening to it. Heck back in March, when I flew on LH 419 IAD to FRA.. about 2/3 of the flight.. i listened to Trance FM and i watched some or most of the movie that was shown and also the news section they show.. but otherwise.. each time i´ve flown on LH I jam the whole flight away listening to it on my nice Phillips Noise Cancelling Headphones and i turn the volume up and sit in and get comfortable and get myself in the European mood  Smile ahh Europe! Vive Europe. Each time, except for two times that i´ve flown to Europe, I´ve always flown on Lufthansa. the other two times were on KL / NW and FI.. NW i´ll never do again.. I flew NW MSP to AMS 6 Sept. 2004.. the service was horrible.. and then on 28 June 2005.. i flew on KL AMS-MSP the service was much better but.... now looking back at it to compare against LH... LH in my mind is much better than KL. I Flew FI back in 2001... They were good.. good for a small airline, would I fly them again? Maybe.. but I´d rather fly straight to Europe without having to stop in Iceland..

LXA340

Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Does LH serve Ice Cream on their day flights to North America i eg FRA / MUC - JFK) n either Business or Economy CLass Mid FLight or aynthing else like cookies?

ANITIX87

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:18 am

Great report! I love reading about LX trips, makes me want to go back to Switzerland, haha.

Few comments...

Please note that this is not the actual aircraft for the flight - this one was going to Geneva.

Are you sure? I was under the impression (from personal experience and from others) that the GVA flight uses a gate on the other side of T1. The side facing T2. Could this be the other ZRH flight?

and during the turbulence, we had climbed to FL 410, probably due to much lighter fuel tanks.

I don't know for sure that it was because of the turbulence. Same thing happened to me both of the last two times i flew LX to Switzerland. Once to ZRH, and the other time to GVA, we climbed from FL350 to FL400 over Ireland.

Quoting Semsem (Reply 22):
It is wrong to blame JFK catering on the lousy food SWISS serve from the USA.

No it's not, because of the following:

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 23):
Then i wonder why their food on the outbound flights has always been excellent.

Exactly. I always get a special meal on the flight from JFK to Switzerland, because the special ones tend to be better prepared. On the way back, from Switzerland, I get the regular meal, because their catering is far, far superior.

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 23):
excellen

Quoting Semsem (Reply 26):
I have seen the airline gradually cutting their catering to a bear minimum on the GVA to JFK route ever since they began operations.

That's not true, at all. They still offer great service, good food, friendly crews, free drinks (all drinks, you don't even need to pay for alcohol). And the hot towels, the chocolates on the flights to the USA, and clean planes. There's no obvious cost-cutting that makes flying with them any less enjoyable than it ever was.

The hard seats on their A330 are also uncomfortable after 1 hour.

That's because they're older seats, not because they decided they were going to make their passengers uncomfortable in the name of saving some money. They were getting new 343s a few years ago and they were receiving them with the new interiors already put-in. Their new aircraft, and getting back into the profit zone took precedence, understandable, over refitting their older planes. They are currently going through a fleet renewal, and once they are more stable with their aircraft assignments, they will begin completely refitting all their 332s to match the 343s.

For me it is annoying as I fly often from GVA to NYC and both LX and CO are the worst and unfortunately only carriers on this route.

Not true, but if you really do have a problem with them, Qatar now does GVA-EWR and they are, at least for the moment, a lot cheaper than LX and CO.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

LXA340

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:23 pm

he hard seats on their A330 are also uncomfortable after 1 hour.

Nevertheless the Seats on the A332's are still better compared to what you would find on LY^s B762's and B744's where the seats are from the last century and falling apart. Afteral this is economy and if you need more space you must fly Business. Todays travel insudstry is tuff and it really and you really get what you pay now a days with all the cost cutting which is actually fine with me. You can't expect to pay a few hundred dollars and get space liek in Business.

sandrozrh

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 38):

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 39):

Don't even try guys. Bashing LX has been Semsem's hobby for months. I really wonder what they've done to him. He was probably turned down by an LX F/A or something

[Edited 2007-06-30 16:36:01]

LXA340

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:43 pm

True, it's hopeless...no wonder if he complained as much to her as he does here...LOL

christao17

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Very nice report. "Live mice" on the load sheet, eh? Interesting.
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...