myk

Air Greenland Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq (pics/vid)

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:31 am

I promised myself, when flying over Greenland en route to North America, to fly one day to Greenland and it was a dream come true !

This is quite an unusual Trip. Obviously, its not everyday that you get the chance to fly on Air Greenland ! Their A330 wears surely one of the more gorgeous colorshemes.

You surely dont know a lot of people who travelled to Greenland. Once there, you understand that this is still one of the most marvellous destinations ! So don't be scared by the cold Weather ! I had 24Hours Sunshine with the midnight Sun and comfortable 10° Celsius.
Before all, I was most excited about taking this Plane !

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5276.jpg

15 July 2007
Air Greenland 781
Copenhagen (CPH) - Kangerlussuaq (SFJ)
Airbus A330-223 OY-GRN
Scheduled Departure Time: 09:15
Actual Departure Time: 09:15
Scheduled Arrival Time: 09:45
Actual Arrival Time: 09:25
Flying Time: 04:10

The Plane was almost empty. This was strange as all other flights to Greenland during the Week were absolutely full. The girl at the Check-in told that usually the process nears Chaos. This time we were lucky and had the choice to take a window seat at the back of the plane which would give us the best views.

Emergency Demonstration was made by the Staff, as the IFE Screens were not working at that time. the demonstration was made in Danish and in greenlandic but not in English !!! Anyway, quickly the Pilot announced (this time in english) that we would have a smooth ride to greenland that would last 04H10 !!

Doors were closed and we were on our way to Greenland !

Departure from Copenhagen :

The routing was Copenhagen-Aarhus-South of Stavanger - north of Faroes Island - Northern Tip of Iceland and then into Greenland.

30 minutes after take-off the crew served Drinks, for the aperitif, but also for the meals and the cafe, if someone would take a Cognac ! So I ended with three drinks on my traytable !

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5284.jpg

The view outside was fantastic as we flew over Greenland, even if it was cloudy.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5290.jpg

Inside the Plane
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5286.jpg

The meal was served with a choice of Beef or Pasta. I choosed the beef which was OK !
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5285.jpg

Soon we approached the greenlandic Airspace. The sky was deep Blue and the view outside astonishing !
The thing with such a flight is that there is not a lot to say about the service or the plane, everything happens outside, you just need a window seat as you fly over one of the most marvellous places on earth. Obviously, I had no interest in watching the film on the IFE, which finally started working. I just turned on the Geovision to know where we were!

Approaching the east coast of Greenland
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5292.jpg

The ice breaks
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5294.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5297.jpg

Coast...Icebergs...Mountains
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5300.jpg

slowly the mountains disappear and we fly over the Inlandsis. White, white, white....so white that you dont really know where you are, you can differentiate between clouds or snow
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5302.jpg

Video as we reach the cost of Greenland and the Landing in Kangerlussuaq :

20 minutes ahead of schedule, we landed in SFJ in the middle of nowhere !!
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5334.jpg
Just a runway, no real town ot city, just an airport (former US Base) used by Air Greenland like a mini hub for the connections to more remote places on the coast.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5348.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5346.jpg
If you think that this trip report is short, I will agree, as said before, there is not so much to say about the flight. 4Hours is short, especially with the amazing view that you get outside the window. Service was professionnal and efficient, not less not more. The Crews fly the return trip within a day. Catering was not special, but OK. The real special thing is the colour sheme of the plane, this is the most beautifull A330 that I ever saw.

All in all, if you ever get the opportunity to take a ride to Greenland, don't miss it ! This is the kind of place that you remember for a lifetime.

I will try to post a trip report about my flight to Ilulissat later.

Not so much airline related, but here some pictures of the Disko Bay with the midnight Sun
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5635.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5638.jpg

The midnight Sun
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5828.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the report

Regards

Mike89406

RE: Air Greenland Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq (pics/vid)

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:00 am

Great Report I have always been curious about flying Air Greenland you don't see many Trip reports concerning Greenland.

KLM685

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:05 am

What an amazing trip report! Certainly nothing that I have seen here in a.net. I always wondered to myself how it would look landing in Greenland! Great pictures as well, it looks like a beautiful place worth of visiting! Those pictures with the midnight sun are amazing. The videos are very very cool as well

Hope you write the return trip as well!

Cheers!

Alonso
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

N751PR

RE: Air Greenland Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq (pics/v

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:23 am

Great report! Thanks for reporting your experience, it's not that often we get a TR to Greenland! (let alone experiencing it ourselves  Wink)
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

cybergus

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:24 am

Wow!! amazing T.R man!!...Awesome pictures and the videos were simply great. In fact is the first time i see something from Greenland!! Lovely place indeed....you must feel like S.Clause!!...Good job bro and keep working on T.R like this one.

Greetings!

Tavo
LAN Excellence in Flight

TUNisia

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:01 am

Really beautiful pictures! I've always wondered what it would be like flying with Air Greenland.

How did you like CPH? I'm going to be transferring through there in a few weeks and was curious as to what to expect.

Awesome TR again!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

DFW13L

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:44 am

I am so glad you did a trip report on Air Greenland! I share your fascination with Greenland, which I also became infected with from the first time I overflew it--on DL 85 in the early 1990s as a former Pan Am A310.

I have even gone to the extent of finding the World Air Routes DVD on Air Greenland and watched it the other day. Their paint scheme is beautiful as you said. The Dash 7s look great too.

And your pictures of the icebergs and the midnight sun are stunning.

I have heard that CPH-Greenland flights are domestic. Did you go through customs at SFJ or was it domestic?

Also, did you know Air Greenland recently started flights to North America (SFJ-BWI) on a 757 a couple times a week?

Please post more from your other Greenland flights when you get a chance.
Great job!
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

PlaneHunter

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Myk,

that's a great report with truly awesome pictures! Interesting to read about Air Greenland, probably the first report on a.net. OY-GRN seems to operate with the former Sabena interior.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

semsem

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Wow. Fantastic. Thanks for posting.

DFW13L

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 7):
OY-GRN seems to operate with the former Sabena interior.

Is it a former Sabena aircraft?

PlaneHunter

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 9):

Yes, ex-OO-SFP:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Heilmann

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

B747forever

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Thank you for this amazing TR. Really cool pics,
Work Hard, Fly Right

gardermoen

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:25 pm

A fantastic trip report! This is one airline I want to fly, and I WILL do this sometime hopefully soon.

I do agree that the colourscheme does look fantastic on the A330. And that safety card, sure does look very very tempting....

Door5Right

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Excellent report and pictures. Most enjoyable.
My soul is in the sky...

Mack8994

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:48 am

Hello, very nice TR... it was certainly different. The A330 looks nice in an all red scheme. Great pics! Keep them coming.

Cheers,
Mack8994 (aka Greg)
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar!

Osprey88

RE: Air Greenland Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq (pics/v

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:33 am

Great trip report!

I have always wanted to come back from Europe in an interesting way and my dream would be to connect on GL through GPH-UAK-GOH-SFJ-BWI, which would include some of my favorite planes in beautiful liverys, the 757 and the Dash 7!

Great experience and I look forward to your trip report to Ilulissat.
"Reading departure signs in some big airports reminds me of the places I've been"

HT

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:00 am

Amazing pictures of the landscape !

Quoting Myk (Thread starter):
I promised myself, when flying over Greenland en route to North America, to fly one day to Greenland and it was a dream come true !

Copy that, but for me still the very last part needs to be realized. Maybe next year ...  sigh 
HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

BAViscount

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:02 am

Really interesting report, thanks for sharing!

I've always fancied visiting Greenland myself, how are things in terms of hotels, getting to interesting places etc.? And perhaps most importantly, is it expensive?!?!

Cheers.

Andy.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

PlymSpotter

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:37 am

Excellent report, looking forwards to the next installment! I've always wanted to go there too, one day, hopefully!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pagophilus

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:52 am

Enjoyed your trip report. I flew this route in July 2003 and I enjoyed the best economy class service on Air Greenland that I have ever experienced (especially so on their 757 from Narsarsuaq to Copenhagen). (You pay for it too. I don't know what it's like now, but in 2003 it was almost impossible to get the discounted tickets during the summer season. We paid in the order of AUD$1700 for the Copenhagen-Greenland return trip.)

airbuseric

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi

Very good report here!  Smile Really amazing to see the beauty of Greenland from the air. No need to write more about it, let the pictures do it  Wink

Cheers,
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

DFW13L

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Quoting Gardermoen (Reply 12):
And that safety card, sure does look very very tempting....

I agree!

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 20):
Very good report here! Really amazing to see the beauty of Greenland from the air. No need to write more about it, let the pictures do it

Agreed as well!

AY104

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:56 am

thanks for the unusual trip report! I still remember landing in Sondrestrom, Greenland, in 1962, when I was 13 years old. Our family was flying from YVR-AMS on a Britannia, which had to make a fuel stop on the way. The routing for our flight was YVR-YYC-YEG-Sondrestrom-AMS. The entire trip took almost 22 hours, but it was quite an experience during the last years of Britannia service. I still remember, as you said, landing in the middle of nowhere. We waited in some kind of wooden structure and were served what tasted like raspberry juice, while they were fueling the aircraft.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Sabena332

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:50 am

Outstanding report with fantastic pics, I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting!

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 10):
Quoting DFW13L (Reply 9):

Yes, ex-OO-SFP:

Wow!

Cool, now I know the current operator of OO-SFP. It is the aircraft that gave me my A.net username.  Smile I flew BRU-ATL on it on June 15, 1999. It was a great flight and an unforgettable trip to the USA which I will always remember!

Inside the Plane

I sat somewhere in this area, my friend had an aisle seat and I had a middle seat with an amazing seat pitch, I never felt uncomfortable on the 11+ hour flight!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

khi747

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:16 am

Absolutely fascinating TR.......Congrats mate!

I have the following questions for you:

1, Is Kangerlussuaq the hub for Air Greenland?If not what is it?

2, What is the fleet strengh of this airline in terms of Jets?

3, What kind of J class does it have?I assume it would not have a F class.

4, Are the women there just as Hot as Iceland?

LHboyatDTW

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Thank you for this rarity of a Trip Report. Sure it may not have much text, but as they say "A picture is worth a thousand words." However, for me it's worth inspiring me to go there sometime before I die. I'm one of those tourists that likes to see the unspoiled parts of the world. It may be costly, but I find the experience to make up for the arm and the leg that you had to pay to get there.

First a few questions:

How are the Greenlandics towards tourists? Are they stand-offish or are they glad to share their picturesque land with the world?

What's their currency?

Would tourists be able to communicate with the locals without making flash cards of Greenlandic / English? I've looked at their language and I find it beyond difficult to pronounce.

How much time did you spend in Greenland?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you and thank you very much for sharing this trip report (which for me, really sold me on Greenland)
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

Mexicana757

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

Wonderful trip report. Really enjoyed reading it!!! Good job. Now I want to go to Greenland myself.  Big grin

Pagophilus

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm not the author of the trip report, but I'll answer some of your questions.

Quoting KHI747 (Reply 24):

Yes. They would love to stop flying internationally to Narsarsuaq and just fly there from Kangerlussuaq, but apparently the Home Rule Government forces them to fly there.

Two. 330-200 and 757-200. See www.airgreenland.com. Quite a good website actually.

4, Are the women there just as Hot as Iceland?

No. Depends on your tastes, but there's a large variation in the look of Greenlanders. Most are part-Danish blood and part Greenlandic (Inuit) blood.

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 26):
How are the Greenlandics towards tourists? Are they stand-offish or are they glad to share their picturesque land with the world?

They're fine, except for in Alluitsup Paa. They love their land and sharing it with you, but some of them drink too much and then want to talk to you. They ask you where are you from and when you reply "Australia", they ask what are you doing in Greenland?

What's their currency?

Danish Kroner

Would tourists be able to communicate with the locals without making flash cards of Greenlandic / English? I've looked at their language and I find it beyond difficult to pronounce.

All tourist-related stuff is fine. Otherwise, the drunks who annoy you speak better English than the checkout chicks at the supermarket. They all speak Danish as well. Their language is nigh-on impossible to learn as an adult, unless you are a linguist, and difficult to pronounce. You wouldn't guess how they pronounce "Kangerlussuaq" (More like Gangerthlussuaq with the thl actually being an unvoiced "L" and the "q" coming from deep in the throat.)

infodesk

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Wow, wow wow! I have long been hoping that somebody would write a report on this route here on airliners. Since my childhood I've been fascinated by Greenland and have read the Lonely Planet guidebook time and time again, in the hope that one day I'll go.

How exciting that this is also a dream come true for you. The pictures are just stunning and I quite agree about air Greenland's livery - the A330 looks great in it.

Where was your base for the stay or did you travel around? And what is the food like? Do you have to be a meat lover to survive up there?!

Can't wait for the next installment

Greetings
Infodesk  spin 
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

buck3y3nut

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 pm

wow... excellent trip report. I love such trip reports that cover unique destinations. Air Greenland seems to be a decent airline.
Thank you very much for sharing it...

myk

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:32 am

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all your comments. Indeed, its not so often that you see a report about greenland, and in some way, its sad because its a wonderfull place. But you are right by saying that it is expensive. A coke and some chocolate for around 10USD....

Anyway, Air Greenland has the perfect ingredients for a Star ! Its rare to seem them in Europe or elsewhere (except CPH and the new BWI flight or some charter flights) and the livery is absolutely great. Once again, nothing to say about the service as it was absolutely OK.

I will try to answer to some of you rcomments.

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 6):
I have heard that CPH-Greenland flights are domestic. Did you go through customs at SFJ or was it domestic?

Also, did you know Air Greenland recently started flights to North America (SFJ-BWI) on a 757 a couple times a week?

Yes, flights are domestic as Greenland is part of Schengen. Therefore, you have no passport control. Nevertheless, I asked them to put a stamp in my passport, which I am proud of.

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 17):
I've always fancied visiting Greenland myself, how are things in terms of hotels, getting to interesting places etc.? And perhaps most importantly, is it expensive?!?!

I spent my time their in a kind of Bed & Breakfast. This was organized by an Italian who lives there since years. Silverio has his proper agency called Tourist Nature and he is great !!!
B&B is is much more interesting than staying ina hotel, as you live with the locals and get a better insight. In fact, a very european or american way of living, DVD's, TV and so on.
Furthermore, you see no alcoholics in every corner. At least not in Ilulissat. They live maily from fishing Industry and Tourisme, but I agree, that, with the long midnight sun "nights" they love danish beer. (alcohol is very expensive)
As said before, its still expensive, but once their, you really understand why you spent the money.

Absolutely fascinating TR.......Congrats mate!

I have the following questions for you:

3, What kind of J class does it have?I assume it would not have a F class.

1- I dont know if you can call SFJ a Hub. As you know, the concept of HUB means a lot of logistics and optimization of schedules ...Etc. Anyway, when the Airbus arrives from CPH, it feeds a lot of Dash 7, going to Nuuk, Ilulissat, or to the wonderfull Ummanaaq and some other places. So SFJ is definetely important for connections. As said before, there is not so much to do in SFJ, as there is nothing. (nevertheless, some great hicking possibilities)

2- AFAIK 2 leased jets : 1 A330 and an old 757. I met some people who flew with this plane and they found it crappy. But I cant tell.
This 757 was operated before by Inter European Airways and Airtours before coming to GL.

View Large View Medium

Photo © M.Oertle

and
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

and finally Greenland Air which is now Air Greenland

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aviantex - Anton Pettersson

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 28):
Where was your base for the stay or did you travel around? And what is the food like? Do you have to be a meat lover to survive up there?!

I stayed in Ilulissat, and I will post a trip report about this flight as soon as I have some time. Near Ilulissat lies the most important Glacier in the nothern hemisphere, which produces a lot and a lot of huge Icebergs.

Here some more pics :

Ilulissat
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5573.jpg

Disko Bay
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5660.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z165/flyairbus/IMG_5985.jpg

Finally some last comments about GL :

Their flights leave CPH very early in the morning around 09:00 and come back in CPH at around 20:00.
You have to know that the same crew does the same flight, which means that their crew base for the 330 is in CPH.
Nevertheless, this allows only a few connections out of Europe. If you continue to Germany or France, you have to spend the night in CPH which is not the best solution from a passenger point of view, same when you fly to Greenland.

I wonder why dont they fly sometimes back from SFJ with a nightflight, arriving early morning in CPH and allowing more connections. The plane stands in CPH for the whole night, probably doing some checks there.
Easier connections would bring more people to Greenland. Even if the Plane checks are operated in CPH, they should be able at least to offer two nightflights back.

I will post a Trip report later about the Dash7.

Regards

AllegiantAir

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:37 am

Great TR Myk, nice to see something out of the ordinary on this TR forum. Some day I hope to get up to Greenland.

Their A330 wears surely one of the more gorgeous colorshemes.

bigthumbsup 
Live to Fly.

Ndebele

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Nice report with some great photos and an amazing video! Just like so many of us, I've seen Greenland just from 10,000 meters above when flying from Europe to the US, and I wondered what it would be like down there. You actualyy flew there, which is just great, thanks a lot for this report!

OA260

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:30 pm

WOW ....I never knew they had A330's.....very nice and unusual TR

OA260

n272wa

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 am

Excellent TR, really enjoyable read and unusal route! The A332 looks glorious in that scheme.
Cheers,
N272WA
Next: (EI)DUB-ORD-DUB, DUB-EWR-IAH-DFW-MSY-AUS-AMA-DEN-EWR-DUB

Pagophilus

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting Myk (Reply 30):
I wonder why dont they fly sometimes back from SFJ with a nightflight, arriving early morning in CPH and allowing more connections. The plane stands in CPH for the whole night, probably doing some checks there.

Back in the days when SAS used to fly to Greenland, they did have some night departures from SFJ, arriving in CPH in the morning. The first time I flew to Greenland in 1998 I flew SAS and on the way back arrived at CPH at around 9PM and wasted 12 hours at the airport (I can't say "slept") before flying off to ZRH/KIX/BNE/MEL. At that time they were doing renovations at CPH and after Burger King and the bar closed, there was nothing to do, not even a vending machine selling potato chips (only chocolates and drinks).

mfz

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Great trip report! And as I just came back from Svalbard (79° North!) a few days ago I can more than understand your enthusiasm for the beauty of this arctic scnenery!

Best regards from Munich, Germany,
Mike
Extra Bavariam non est vita et si est non est ita! --- My flights: http://my.flightmemory.com/mfz