JKJ777

Surprising AA 767-300 Business Class

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:53 am

I recently took a trip to HNL from LAX. I was scheduled to fly up to SFO first and catch DL's 767-400 flight from there to HNL. I had purchased two first class tickets for myself and my girlfriend and was really looking forward to enjoying DL's service in the best first class seats on a DL 767-400 (7E and 7F). Well, our connecting flight was delayed due to ATC and we were not guaranteed that it would even go at all. So, the gate agent worked with me and wound up putting me on AA leaving a few hours later. Well, to our surprise, the equipment had been upgraded from a 757 to a 767-300. I was pretty excited as I was sure this would be a very comfortable Business Class cabin. Well, it was Business Class but it seemed old and out dated. The seats were hydraulic or air powered (not electric), narrow and did not have near the comfort as I have experienced on DL and CO. There were no PTV's either. Overall, the experience was nice but not near what I had expected. Are there any of you AA regulars that feel the Business Class on the 767 is pretty weak? What changes would you like to see? I sure had my fingers crossed for the brand new Business Class but I guess the 777 will get those first.

JGPH1A

RE: Surprising AA 767-300 Business Class

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Thread starter):
Well, it was Business Class but it seemed old and out dated.

It wasn't really Business Class, it was domestic First most probably i.e. premium economy in the real world. UA are the same - for flights to Hawaii from the West Coast, AA and UA aren't going to waste their international business products on freeloading mile-burners (who are the only people in First Class to Hawaii, it seems). CO have BusinessFirst on their flights HNL-EWR, and its not bad (TV's rubbish though).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
It wasn't really Business Class

AA uses the same configuration across its entire 763 fleet, international and domestic. I'm not sure if they're done with the upgrade program across the fleet, however.
International Homo of Mystery

LMP737

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:14 am

By the end of the year AA wil have installed the new lie flat biz class seats on all it's 767-300's. You evidently did not get one that was refitted.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

JKJ777

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 1):
It wasn't really Business Class, it was domestic First most probably i.e. premium economy in the real world. UA are the same - for flights to Hawaii from the West Coast, AA and UA aren't going to waste their international business products on freeloading mile-burners (who are the only people in First Class to Hawaii, it seems). CO have BusinessFirst on their flights HNL-EWR, and its not bad (TV's rubbish though).

No, this was not a domestic aircraft. It was an upgraded aircraft because the 757 went tech. This was the internationally configured 767-300 from AA. There was approximately 4-5 feet of leg room with a pretty decent reclining seat. They were just worn, outdated and lacked PTV. At least the blankets and ice cream were great. No pictures however, since I was concerned with AA's policy on pictures on board the aircraft.

COERJ145

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Reply 4):
No pictures however, since I was concerned with AA's policy on pictures on board the aircraft.

I've taken many flights with AA, AmEagle and other airlines, and have had no problems with taking pics in flight(even on takeoff). Its only taking pics of the flight deck where I've been told its not aloud on some airlines(AA).

Indio66

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 am

I fly to Europe a lot and I cannot tell you how many times I hear people complain about AA business class on the 767, you would think that they were talking about coach class.

albird87

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Jkj777 (Thread starter):
Are there any of you AA regulars that feel the Business Class on the 767 is pretty weak? What changes would you like to see? I sure had my fingers crossed for the brand new Business Class but I guess the 777 will get those first.

I think the old seat maybe a little old but i think that those seats are great!! They recline more than the 777s ones and its a nicer config i think with the 2-2-2. I have travelled on the new biz class (which the 763s are getting first and i think completion will be the end of the year for all the 763s)
I have to say that they do sometimes look bad but i still think they are very comfortable!! Best flight i had in it was actually from MAD-MIA after a big celebration the night before and wasnt in the best shape and just reclined and curled up to go to sleep!!
The new cabin it nice but i feel its now cramped in the 763 are the walls around the seat make it look very small and, in my opinion, not as nice as the old lazy boys!!

AA767LOVER

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to try it out then. Next May, I will fly on it from DFW-MIA, and then also JFK-SFO. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm very grateful to fly on First, and so I may not be as picky as most. I've had some low-class First Class experiences. I will not name airlines. However, they were really substandard.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Jkj777,

Quite frankly, your post is quite puzzling. Since you mentioned that the seats did not have a personal IFE system it could not have been the new Business Class seats of AA, because they have personall players installed? Also, the new business class seats are NEW, hence I doubt that they could be already old and worn.

I myself just traveled on a round trip to ZRH on the new AA 763 last week, and the new seats are a great improvement over the old ones. The seats are highly adjustable and the sleeper mode is very comfortable even for me ( I'm 6'1).

Cheers.

JKJ777

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting 44k (Reply 9):
Quite frankly, your post is quite puzzling. Since you mentioned that the seats did not have a personal IFE system it could not have been the new Business Class seats of AA, because they have personall players installed? Also, the new business class seats are NEW, hence I doubt that they could be already old and worn.

I myself just traveled on a round trip to ZRH on the new AA 763 last week, and the new seats are a great improvement over the old ones. The seats are highly adjustable and the sleeper mode is very comfortable even for me ( I'm 6'1).

44K, what are you talking about? I have clearly said that this AA 767 had the OLDER interior with no sort of PTV player installed. I never stated that this aircraft had a new interior. I would have really enjoyed a more updated, wider seat with PTV though. Read a little more carefully 44K. Cheers.

albird87

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting 44k (Reply 9):
Quite frankly, your post is quite puzzling. Since you mentioned that the seats did not have a personal IFE system it could not have been the new Business Class seats of AA, because they have personall players installed?

Well actually internal flights with the new biz class do not have the players out for the flights. This tho may have changed with the introduction of the new IFE onboad the 762s now but when AA first got the new seat, all internal flights, the player was not used and stored up front.

AA767LOVER

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:45 pm

If they have the new Sleeper seats, that would be awesome.
I have a question concerning the 763's that sometimes service the JFK-SFO route, as I will fly that. Do you know if that it considered Flagship First on the First Class service? Or is that only on the 762's?

I think it would be great if after sometime when the 762s eventually get phased out (hope not too soon), that the 763's will be used for the transcon JFK-LAX,SFO route, and Flagship First will be standard on the 763 as well.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 11):
44K, what are you talking about? I have clearly said that this AA 767 had the OLDER interior with no sort of PTV player installed. I never stated that this aircraft had a new interior. I would have really enjoyed a more updated, wider seat with PTV though. Read a little more carefully 44K. Cheers.

Hey , your comment: "This was the internationally configured 767-300 from AA." threw me off. Since all International AA 767 flighs are on the new configuration. Also to my best knowledge, all AA 763 are outfited with the new biz class seats.

AA767LOVER

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:28 am

44k, lookin' forward to it. Hope it is as u say. Other aircraft need some serious upgrading as well. Based on aa.com, they are now working on upgrades to the fleet.