PlunaCRJ
Topic Author

Melbourne-Brisbane On Qantas (few Pics)

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm

INTRODUCTION

Earlier this year I had the great opportunity to live and study abroad in Australia. This once in a lifetime experience also meant I would get the chance to fly on exotic (for me) airlines I wouldn't have flown!

Whilst on Australia I refused to leave the country and come all the way home to South America without visiting Melbourne. This is the TR of the return flight from Melbourne to Queensland, where I lived during my stay in Australia.

Unfortunately, when I did the flight I did not intend to do a TR out of it, so I only took a few pictures.

BOOKING

I compared fares on the Internet between Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas. Qantas was the most expensive choice, but taking into account I had already flown Virgin (Sydney- Brisbane) and that I wanted to get to Tullamarine (instead of Avalon- Jetstar) I chose Qantas.

Plus, I really wanted to sample the Qantas service before returning home.

I purchased the ticket online, and took the "Red e Deal" (quite cheap). I paid by credit card and it was all done. Effortless.

TO THE AIRPORT

I got my carry on bag ready and went to the nearest tram stop (tram fan here). O hopped on one and bought a two-hour metlink, more than enough to get me Melbourne's CBD. I hopped out a few blocks away from Southern Cross Station, where I took the Skybus to Tullamarine Airport. In no time I found myself at Qantas Domestic Terminal.

THE FLIGHT

Qantas Airways
Flight QF616
Melbourne -- Brisbane
Boarding time: 11:45
June 19, 2007
Seat 19F

I had the pleasure to use just for the second time the Auto Check in Kiosks. No lines, no nothing. The only thing that worried me a little is that the machine doesn't ask for any kind of ID, anyone knowing I was traveling that day could have gone earlier than me and gotten my boarding pass. I hope there is a procedure to prevent this.

As I only had a carry-on, I proceeded immediately to the gates. Again fast and effortless. It is a pleasure to fly this way.

(Domestic travel is new for me; in Uruguay we don't have it)

Inside the terminal I walked up and down, and took a picture of this Jetstar A320 getting ready for departure for the Gold Coast.

Soon it was time to board the aircraft. I noticed Qantas does not use the zone boarding method, so anyone ca board whenever they want. The load today was quite light, in fact, I had the whole row to myself.

The crew rapidly completed the Safety Briefing and we were soon on our way out of an overcast Melbourne. The sun was shining up at cruise level.

A sandwich was served, OK for a short flight like this. The napkin provided was also a bag to put all the trash in. I thought it was clever. Something was displayed on the Overhead Monitors, but I was much more concentrated on the book I bought along, and I don't recall what was being broadcasted.

A wing view during cruise. Unfortunately the window was quite scratched.

Descent to Brisbane was soon started, quite bumpy. During the approach we had awesome views of the Gold Coast, prior flying over Moreton Bay on final approach to Brisbane Airport.

Touchdown was quite firm, but well; it was a windy day after all. Having only my carry-on and being on a domestic flight I just walked away from the airport. The pleasure of domestic flying. Before I left I noticed the plane was continuing north to Cairns.

Well, I hoped you enjoyed reading this. And forgive me for my English, I could have certainly learnt much more of it in Australia.

B747forever

RE: Melbourne-Brisbane On Qantas (few Pics)

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:18 am

Nice TR.

The window looks horrible. Are you sure that it was scratched, or if it was just dirty???

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Thread starter):
Domestic travel is new for me; in Uruguay we don't have it)

Didnt know that.

Thank you for sharing.

B747forever.
Work Hard, Fly Right

bill142

Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 am

Descent to Brisbane was soon started, quite bumpy. During the approach we had awesome views of the Gold Coast, prior flying over Moreton Bay on final approach to Brisbane Airport.

Would have been National Nine News - Qantas Inflight Edition followed by a short program such as Top Gear or Kath and Kim

ZKSUJ

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Very poor window condition there. Never seen anything like it in my life

PlunaCRJ
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
Nice TR.

The window looks horrible. Are you sure that it was scratched, or if it was just dirty???

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 3):
Very poor window condition there. Never seen anything like it in my life

I don´t know if the window was scratched, dirty or what. I remember that the window wasn´t as clear as it should have been (you can see it from the pictures) but not to the extent shown. Camera?

And thanks for the "Nice TR" !

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
Domestic travel is new for me; in Uruguay we don't have it)

Didn't know that.

Actually I am not that sure. Some years ago Pluna used to ferry one of its 737s from Montevideo to Punta del Este in preparation for flights between the later city and Buenos Aires. They used to sell seats on these flights (not expecting really nobody to buy them - the flight is aprox. 10 minutes) but they used to get somebody riding with them from time to time. I am not sure if they continue doing it, it should be interesting to try this short flight someday  Smile

Aeromas also flies domestic charters with props. I am not sure if they continue doing so.

Being Uruguay such a relatively small country with no mountains or any other geographical obstacles, with an excellent road and bus system; there is no real needfor domestic air travel. It would be nice, though.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 2):
Would have been National Nine News - Qantas Inflight Edition followed by a short program such as Top Gear or Kath and Kim

Yes, you are right. They displayed National Nine News and I remember the whole plane watching (including myself) as they were almost exclusively talking about the shooting in Melbourne´s CBD the day before.

QFKangaroo747

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:05 am

Nice report, thanks for posting. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Australia.

Well, I hoped you enjoyed reading this. And forgive me for my English, I could have certainly learnt much more of it in Australia.

Actually, it was better English than that spoken by many Australians!

Door5Right

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Unfortunately the window was quite scratched.

LOL, this must be one of the understatements of the year!
My soul is in the sky...